Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Couple posts from the Haven
Bookmark and Share
arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

I Root For: Fresh Starts

Until someone complains, a couple posts from the Haven worthy of discussion.

Quote:OK, maybe this has been talked to death, but I have decided not to badmouth the Belt any more.
We are not dominating the Sun Belt. We couldn't even win the tournament on our home court last year. Forget all the excuses about personnel and changing coaches -- our program is not currently so superior to the others in the conference. If it were, those factors would not have been critical.
It's also unfair to say that the Belt is "holding us back." What is true is that the Sun Belt is not pushing us forward -- giving us a lift toward the national prominence we want so much.
It's not the Belt's fault that we can only get 4,000 fans out to see a game. Sure, it has no "big name" schools that get fans excited, but isn't it kind of sad that more people aren't excited just to see the Tops, no matter who they play.
Call it a failure to bond, but the truth is, we are not really the Sun Belt. We are the American South Conference, renamed. There are only two teams in the conference now who were part of the SBC before it merged with the ASC in 1991 -- WKU and South Alabama. Arkansas State, New Orleans and Louisiana were American South. Arkansas-Little Rock moved in from Trans America at the same time. Throw in all the football newcomers, and we have quite a hodge-podge.
Having said all that, I do want out of the Sun Belt. I don't think we fit in well, and I don't think it gives us very much in terms of reputation, RPI or finances. But when we give the impression that we are "too good" for the Belt, I'm afraid that just makes us look stupid and obnoxious.

While I don't think the MAC provides the 'Toppers with any real increase in finances, an interesting point about the Sun Belt not pushing the 'Toppers or anyone else.

The old American South was a 7 team circuit that in its final year before merging with the Sun Belt sent 2 teams to the NCAA Tournament (UNO and La.Tech) and 2 to the NIT (ASU and the Cajuns).

The coaches at UNO and Tech moved on to bigger jobs. The coaches at ASU and Louisiana ended good runs by stumbling and finally being shown the door, but at one time those four were all being labeled hot up and comers.

Post-merger WKU also lost a coach to a bigger job.

Since then where are the impressive up and coming coaches?

I can't say I'm terribly impressed by UALR losing a coach to Illinois State. It's like the entire league made terrible hires almost at the same time.

By contrast how can you not feel positive about football where UNT and Troy have established coaches doing well, MTSU an established coach who started well, stumbled but showed signs of life this year. ASU and the Cajuns with coaches going into year four with more wins after 3 years than the folks they replaced came close to in longer spans. ULM getting 5 wins out of Weatherbie in his first full year has to cause people to take notice. FIU and FAU (especially FAU) are looking good for start from scratch programs.

Where is that up-beat feeling in hoops? The few success stories seem the exception rather than the rule.
01-29-2005 01:26 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

I Root For: Fresh Starts

Another
Quote:Even though we're having a "down" year in basketball, and I may not feel comfortable insulting the individual teams in the Belt, I think guns makes a good point. We're still the best sports program in the Sun Belt. We have the best facilities, the best commitment, I would think we have the most support. We're the flagship. After a few humbling losses to our men's program I may be a bit down, but I still believe overall we're the best in the Belt. That's not a bad thing to think either.

In the 13 years since merging with the American South, WKU has won 2 Bubas trophies, ASU 2, MTSU 2, and USA 7.

Facility-wise, WKU's are good but THE BEST? I wouldn't go that far. I'd say outside of football, WKU is very competitive in facilities and is among the leaders but I'd not go so far as to say THE BEST.
01-29-2005 01:33 PM
Cajunman02 Offline
All American

I Root For: Louisiana
CrappiesCrappies

I wonder if they'll bad mouth the MAC when they join? You know like, the MAC is holding us down every year or some other crap. Even though we lose 91-76 at Kent St. every year, we still should get an at-large because we are in the MAC. The MAC won't make you any better. WKY can only make it's self better.
01-29-2005 01:52 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.