Kent State Golden Flashes

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Coach Christian news
The Flash Offline
All American

I Root For: Kent State

From Roger Brown's column in today's Cleveland PD:

Kent State University men's basketball head coach Jim Christian has been leading the Golden Flashes for less than two seasons, but he's already raking in off-the-court opportunities like a longtime coaching vet. Word is Christian, a popular figure across Northeast Ohio, is making six figures as a motivational speaker and commercial endorser. Christian recently received a contract extension from Kent State, paying him a $135,000 annual base salary.
07-23-2003 12:07 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Flashfan88 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For:

Jim Christian was a good fit for Kent and did a great job his first year......almost another MAC title
after losing 4 of the greatest players in KENT ST basketball history!!

He is also proving that he can recruit; The big problem will be coming up with enough money to
keep him here if he continues this basketball success here at Kent. With losing only two players
and having four players that contributed to that elite 8 squad back....plus the two big-time recruits
coming in....plus the solid recruits from last year....plus the fact that he red-shirted John Merrit and
Armon Gates.......I see no reason why the Flashes should not be in the title hunt yet again.

Damm.....I already can't wait!!!
04-rock
07-23-2003 04:42 PM
FlashFan Offline
Heisman

I like the guy, too. He made a visit to a alumni event last summer and I got the chance to briefly meet him. My impression was of someone you'd want your kid to play for... studied in the game and the MAC, confident but not arrogant, optimistic outlook, and a Kent style combination of savvy mixed with blue collar work ethic.

I've read that he can be stubborn, but I'm trying to think of any successful coaches that did not have that trait. If true, I'd still rather have the head guy be described as stubborn rather than pushover.

I agree with you, Flashfan88, that Christian's style is a great fit for Kent. And, if he gets one or two great seasons and stays out of image trouble, he's gone. Hope it was Laing's creativity that got him the off the court paydays.

Practice starts Nov. 1.
07-23-2003 06:56 PM
Advertisement

ksu315 Offline
1st String

I Root For:

Are you guys nuts? Christian has no offensive game plan other than give Gates the ball. He gets lost in the game and forgets about sub patterns (i.e Hawaii game he made no substitutions from the 12 minute mark to 1.5 minutes when the game was dwindling from us). He also blew a 24 point 2nd half lead against BG. He may be a good coach in the future but i think the best coach on that bench now is Geno Ford.

And i seriously doubt if he's making 6 figures doing motivational speaking. I have a hard time paying for my season tickets with him at the helm.
07-24-2003 01:04 PM
FlashFan Offline
Heisman

ksu315-

We'll just have to agree to disagree. While February pretty much stunk, I can't get too disappointed with 21-10 in JC's first year, while having to pretty much rebuild the talent and leadership on the court and in the coaching staff. Kept the streaks going too... 5th straight 20 win year, 5th straight post season appearance, 3rd straight MAC East title.

And, we won't have to fret over too much AG this coming season. I agree with Flashfan88 that this is a very interesting, and young, team returning. Should be lots of fun...I can't wait.
07-27-2003 07:43 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.