Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

An EMU Football Sellout!?
Bookmark and Share
HuronDave Offline
Heisman

I Root For: The MAC
DonatorsCrappiesCrappies

Word around campus is that EMU's game against Maryland is nearly sold-out. Call Ripley's!!
08-18-2003 06:37 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

exCincy Kid Offline
All American

I Root For:

Gosh, that's great, HuronDave........but you need to find a way for the accountants to use the sellout in 2004 when the new attendance regs "kick in"!

Seriously, though, many magazine and newspaper articles on the impending legislation list a number of MAC schools as being in jeopardy (which isn't exactly great publicity), so it'd be nice if going into 2004 we were able to get most of the programs above 15K.
08-18-2003 09:29 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
MrKnockoff Offline
2nd String

I Root For:

Those crazy maryland fans must really love their school to make the 9.5h drive. 03-wink
08-18-2003 09:43 AM
redskins4ever Offline
2nd String

I Root For:

I hope you guys go ahead and PACK'em in!!! 04-bow I think its great to see MAC schools get huge attendance numbers for different teams that bring there programs in!
08-18-2003 09:44 AM
MAKO Offline
1st String

I Root For:

EMU needs to hire the Toledo attendance counters. 03-razz
08-18-2003 11:12 AM
Unregistered

CrappiesNew Orleans Bowl

From the fans that filled MSU's stadium...didn't you see all of the green?...this accusation really hurts. :rolleyes:
08-18-2003 11:41 AM
Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Road Warrior Offline
2nd String

I Root For:

Quote:Re-elect Gore in 2004

When President Bush starts his second term, feel free to believe that the inventor of the internet won that one, too. :rolleyes:
08-18-2003 12:55 PM
Unregistered

CrappiesNew Orleans Bowl

Road Warrior Wrote:
Quote:Re-elect Gore in 2004

When President Bush starts his second term, feel free to believe that the inventor of the internet won that one, too. :rolleyes:
Pulling that imaginary quote out shows your ignorance of the issues.
08-18-2003 01:07 PM
Road Warrior Offline
2nd String

I Root For:

Imaginary?

Is CNN part of the "Vast Right Wing Conspiracy" now?

Here is the "imaginary" quote:

Quote: "During my service in the United States Congress, I took the initiative in creating the Internet."

And a link to the archived CNN transcript:

<a href='http://www.cnn.com/ALLPOLITICS/stories/1999/03/09/president.2000/transcript.gore/' target='_blank'>Tapdance your way out of this one, tinfoil.</a>

I await your apology.
08-18-2003 01:14 PM
Schadenfreude Offline
Professional Tractor Puller

I Root For: Bowling Green

CrappiesCrappiesCrappies

No U.S. public official did more to foster the Internet than Al Bore.
08-18-2003 01:18 PM
Road Warrior Offline
2nd String

I Root For:

Maybe. But he sure as shite didn't "create" it.
08-18-2003 01:21 PM
Advertisement

Falconfreak90 Offline
All American

I Root For:
Crappies

HuronDave Wrote:Word around campus is that EMU's game against Maryland is nearly sold-out. Call Ripley's!!
Good stuff Dave! What is the capacity of Rynearson? I saw 30,200...is that right?

GO BG!! GO MAC!!
08-18-2003 01:31 PM
HuronDave Offline
Heisman

I Root For: The MAC
DonatorsCrappiesCrappies

Falconfreak90 Wrote:
HuronDave Wrote:Word around campus is that EMU's game against Maryland is nearly sold-out. Call Ripley's!!
Good stuff Dave! What is the capacity of Rynearson? I saw 30,200...is that right?

GO BG!! GO MAC!!
Yep, 30,200 is capacity. But, I think we ought to do some type of engineering study prior to the Maryland game to ensure that the stadium can actually withstand that much weight. Seriously, most of the sections of the stadium have not been actually "butt-in-the-seat" tested! :D
08-18-2003 01:36 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Unregistered

CrappiesNew Orleans Bowl

Road Warrior Wrote:Maybe. But he sure as shite didn't "create" it.
He also didn't say that he created it. He did take the initiative early on. Maybe you lying types should do the apologizing.
08-18-2003 01:50 PM
redskins4ever Offline
2nd String

I Root For:

<a href='http://www.emich.edu/goeagles/football/' target='_blank'>http://www.emich.edu/goeagles/football/</a>

for more info click facilities... kinda of a neat looking place... too bad they have that damn track around it.. if they ever got big time... and you lowered the field... the place could easily hold 45,000....
08-18-2003 01:59 PM
Falconfreak90 Offline
All American

I Root For:
Crappies

HuronDave Wrote:
Falconfreak90 Wrote:

GO BG!! GO MAC!!
Yep, 30,200 is capacity. But, I think we ought to do some type of engineering study prior to the Maryland game to ensure that the stadium can actually withstand that much weight. Seriously, most of the sections of the stadium have not been actually "butt-in-the-seat" tested! :D
04-bow 04-bow 04-bow :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
08-18-2003 02:14 PM
Advertisement

Road Warrior Offline
2nd String

I Root For:

Oddball Wrote:
Road Warrior Wrote:Maybe. But he sure as shite didn't "create" it.
He also didn't say that he created it. He did take the initiative early on. Maybe you lying types should do the apologizing.

Say what?

Preliminary discussions of how the ARPANET would be designed began in 1967, and a request for proposals went out the following year. In 1969, the Defense Department commissioned the ARPANET.

Gore was 21-years-old at the time. He wasn't even done with law school at Vanderbilt University. It would be eight more years before Gore would be elected to the US House of Representatives as a freshman Democrat with scant experience in passing legislation, let alone ambitious proposals.

By that time, file copying -- via the UUCP protocol -- was beginning. Email was flourishing. The culture of the Internet was starting to develop through the Jargon File and the SF-Lovers mailing list.

Gore has taken credit for popularizing the term "information superhighway" and around 1991 penned related articles for publications such as Byte magazine. But the term "data highway" has been used as far back as 1975, before Gore entered Congress.

But the development of the Net has resembled less a government-managed industrial project -- such as the orderly interstate-highway systems Gore hoped for -- and more an anarchic sprawl.

"Gore played no positive role in the decisions that led to the creation of the Internet as it now exists -- that is, in the opening of the Internet to commercial traffic," said Steve Allen, vice president for communications at the conservative Progress and Freedom Foundation.

--From a Wired News archive of a 3/11/99 news item.

So what exactly DID Vice President Blah (ironic that Liberia has one too) do to "initiate" the "creation" of the internet?
08-18-2003 02:21 PM
Unregistered

CrappiesNew Orleans Bowl

Gee, that was informative. Now, I assume that you know who Robert Kahn and Vinton Cerf are. Here's what they had to say about it:

"The fact of the matter is that Gore was talking about and promoting the Internet long before most people were listening. We feel it is timely to offer our perspective. As far back as the 1970s Congressman Gore promoted the idea of high speed telecommunications as an engine for both economic growth and the improvement of our educational system. He was the first elected official to grasp the potential of computer communications to have a broader impact than just improving the conduct of science and scholarship."

Rush O'Reilly didn't bother to put that in your talking points, I guess.
08-18-2003 02:24 PM
Road Warrior Offline
2nd String

I Root For:

Apparently you didn't bother to read my entire post, since I know you would never duck a direct question.

What exactly Al Gore do to "initiate" the "creation" of the internet?
08-18-2003 02:34 PM
Unregistered

CrappiesNew Orleans Bowl

I'm sorry, did Mr. Cerf speak over your head?
08-18-2003 02:47 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.