Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Here is a radical way
Bookmark and Share
TrumanWKU Offline
2nd String

I Root For:

If the premiere team's fans started pushing their team to turn down NCAA bids in favor of the NIT. Stated reason the autocratic way the NCAA is trying to control members mascots. This in unison with the NIT anti trust lawsuit would be a rude awakening for the corrupt eggheads that run that show.

Think about it, if the NIT had some true top quality teams in its tourny all of a sudden the pendalum could swing in an unexpected way. Suddenly the NIT might become the BCS of basketball. UNC, UK, and others might suddenly want to make the NIT the tourny so they don't have to put up with the constant stream of idiocy coming from the NCAA.

Anybody else think that if that happened the NCAA 04-nuke ?

Okay I have had my fantasy land fun!
08-10-2005 05:19 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

galojah Offline
All American

I Root For: WKU & NC State

Donators

And how is this a good thing for WKU?
08-10-2005 06:28 PM
TrumanWKU Offline
2nd String

I Root For:

I don't think it would be nessecarily, I'm just playing what if. With there being such a broad disagreement between the NCAAand its consumers, college athletics fans, that is a situation ripe for something to happen. It could be very bad or very good in the end for the have nots in the NCAA if the NCAA starts to want to be a fair arbitrator between athletics programs, something they most certainly are not at this time.

I also could be completely in left field, believe it or not I don't dwell on this stuff all that much.
08-10-2005 09:05 PM
galojah Offline
All American

Donators

A BCS type system in college basketball would be a travesty to the last true sporting even I love, March Madness.
08-10-2005 10:52 PM
Advertisement

trekster Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For:

Couple of points here.... WIth the NCAA TV network money, sponsorship, and endorsements the way it is it would be damn near impossible to swing the proverbial pendulum back to the NIT.

Along those same money lines.... How often and When was the last time a team that's not from one of the BIG 4 Power conferences (ACC, SEC, BIG12, PAC10) got into the Final 4 or even won the NCAA??? I just don't see it happening much anymore.... if at all....

Can you imagine the Network ratings and lack of sponsorships if WKU, Gonzaga, St Joe's, and Marquette got into the Final 4?
08-11-2005 09:42 AM
Big Squirrel Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For:

Personally, the BCS has ruined college football for me. I can never look at the game the same way I used to. If something like that ever happened in college basketball I don't know what I'd do. I enjoy the NBA, but I don't want it to be my #1 love, like college hoops is. I guess I could just watch NAIA games. Now there are some good games! The kids are playing for nothing more than their education and it's what college sports should be all about. I've yet to see a NAIA player driving an Escalade. Also, those schools need fan support (both monetarily and physically) more than any of the big NCAA schools.

Okay, rant over.
08-11-2005 11:53 AM
galojah Offline
All American

Donators

If the money moved with them, the BCS conference schools would like nothing more than to break away from the NCAA.
08-12-2005 03:02 PM
racerbymarriage Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For:

What would prevent the NIT from becoming another NCAA conglomerate if they were granted parity? I think over time the NIT would either grow to become a mirror image of the old NCAA, or break up under the stress of fielding a larger tournament (something like IRL and CART or whatever they call it now). The NIT collapses, the NCAA steps in, and we're back where we started, only 10-20 years down the road. What would materialize is a new, semi-used stadium (for surely MSG would have to rebuilt into some new fancy creation - the Spike Lee Dome??) and mythical mid-majors clammering for the good 'ole days. The Knicks get a new home, the colleges and universities get crap, and the NCAA rises out of the ashes into a stronger, more tight-fisted conglomerate. I don't think it would benefit mid-majors one bit. Would probably hurt, if you use the IRL-Champ series analogy - competing systems divided audiences and splintering advertising and game revenues. Fan support has to be there, and judging from the empty seats in northern Texas this past Spring, seems like the Sun Belt would have to do a lot of hustling to make it work. The OVC would have the same problem.
08-16-2005 12:04 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.