Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Kent /Northern Illinois
nashvillegoldenflash Offline
1st String

I Root For:

Kent 32
Northern Illinois 33

Half

Kent has been sluggish the first half. I believe the Flashes will come out during the 2nd half and play inspired basketball.
02-04-2004 08:55 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Kflasher Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: March 2get here

I believe Northern is 9/14 from 3 pt land. :eek: Nice run by the Flashes to get back into it. Down 24-10 then went on an 18 pt run. Yes, we will dominate the second half. 04-rock
02-04-2004 09:01 PM
Kflasher Offline
Special Teams

61-55 7:13 left Edwards, Haut and bedford all with 4 fouls. Hold on !!! 04-drinky
02-04-2004 09:43 PM
1st String

I Root For:

Kent 69
Northern Illinois 67

Final

I can honestly say that there was never a point in the game when I thought Kent would not win this game. I expected Kent to have a bit of a letdown against Northern Illinois but was confident that Christian would get the Flashes playing well enough in the second half to win this game on the road. We could see another sluggish performance against Central Michigan on Saturday. Fortunately, Kent is good enough to win games even when the Flashes are not playing their best.
02-04-2004 10:06 PM
Advertisement

Kflasher Offline
Special Teams

Kent 69 Northern 67 Final 04-rock
Another gritty road win with alot of foul trouble.
02-04-2004 10:07 PM
ksu315 Offline
1st String

I Root For:

This game scared the heck out of me for a number of reasons:

1. NIU is not as bad as their record. Remember they made the semis last year and returned everyone.

2. Kent has come off a big 4 game stretch and a letdown as inevitable

3. Listening to the radio the flu is working through the team

With all that said a road win is always a good win. Lets get one @ CMU and then take care of 4 straight at home to get us to 20-3.
02-04-2004 10:11 PM
Flashfan88 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For:

Post game report said that the a lot of players had the flu....................we toughed one out
with a Northern team that came in to the MAC center last year a outplayed a hot
Kent team for a road win.......so this one was sweet.

If I remember correctly Northern was supposed to be one of the teams to beat in the west
this year; wonder what has happened with them?
02-04-2004 10:14 PM
Advertisement

RobertN Offline
Legend

I Root For: THE NIU Huskies

Flashfan88 Wrote:Post game report said that the a lot of players had the flu....................we toughed one out
with a Northern team that came in to the MAC center last year a outplayed a hot
Kent team for a road win.......so this one was sweet.

If I remember correctly Northern was supposed to be one of the teams to beat in the west
this year; wonder what has happened with them?
First, congrats on the win. That was our best played game all year(that I have seen) even with Smallwood sitting out a large portion of the first half. Anyway, we don't have the coaching and very few players who are of MAC quality(as I have mentioned before elsewhere, we lost to a div 2 team so in reality, we have div 2 talent).
02-04-2004 11:24 PM
The Flash Offline
All American

I Root For: Kent State

I was concerned about a letdown in this game, but didn't want to say it beforehand. One of the longest road trips of the year. Not a rival game. Gutsy win with the flu guys! 04-rock

Let's hope that they can bounce back against CMU.
02-05-2004 07:47 AM
FlashFan Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Kent State

It was an ugly win. We need to steal any road wins possible, so I'll take it. But it was ugly.
A few thoughts:

1. We had great seats in row "A" floor level directly across from the Flashes bench and next to their locker room. From that view, nashville, there were several times I thought Kent would lose. If Todd Peterson had not fouled out, we may have lost. We could not stop him. We were next to Northern's bucket the first half, and Peterson buried 4 three pointers right in front of us. He was wide open on all of them. I was ready to chip in after the last shot right before the half. NIU had one shot left, the crowd
(what there was of it) was yelling "It's T.P.'s shot", they got him the ball wide open in the same spot and he hit hit it again! J.C.was furious walking into the locker room...jaw clenched, fists clenched, kind of stomping as he walked. I don't think the pep talk was pretty.

2. We got down by 14 early. Stayed outside the entire time. Some were not bad shots, just could not buy a bucket at some points. I think we went almost five minutes without a bucket. Every possession seemed to be three passes and lose it or a quick outside shot that did not fall. Jakeaway got us out of a slump with a three, then Bedford lit up a few. They were the only two who got anything going from the outside.

3. I understand why you all are so excited about Scott Cutley. We were next the the Flashes bucket the second half, so got to see all of his inside work . He is very quick and has great timing.

4. I will give Cliff Brown the benefit of the doubt with the flu. Enough said. Except for hitting two foul shots at a critical point in the last ten minutes, he did not have his game. Had to play him when Bedford got his fourth whistle.

5. The NIU zone really bothered the Flashes at several points, but especially in the last three minutes. Plus, they had several possessions where they played "Kent State Basketball". One in particular was someone ( I forget who) actually mugging Big John after a rebound, forced the big guy to the floor and got a possession with 14 seconds left and the Huskies down by two. We had no momentum and they had it all. Thank God for the Flashes' last defensive stand.

A thought about the MACC here. I have not been to many MAC arenas but cannot imagine any nicer than NIU's Convocation Center. Its got to seat about 10K. I know this is due to the Huskies' fans giving up, but the place was DEAD and the vast sweeps of empty seats exaggereated the lack of enthusiasm. Did not look at the box score, but we estimated 1,000 fans. I'm not kidding when I say there was virtually no student section, unless you count the band and dance squads. I mean there might have been 50 in the student section. The point? It made me appreciate having a smaller arena we could fill up and create a home court advantage. It may need some renovation, but I say keep it.

Sorry I did not stop by to say "hello", Robert. It was a hectic day and I left work later than expected. Walked out without your note. My spouse threatened to leave if I walked around behind the broadcaster's table looking for a guy named Robert I connected with in a internet chat room. As I was already pushing it on the weeknight road trip, decided not to take up the challenge. Maybe you spotted us. We had the Kent State signs directly across from the Flashes' bench. Your team is not as bad as you believe. Hand in there.

I'm not down on this team. It was just not their night and NIU played well. We won one we could have easily lost, hung in there and played with poise on the road. This team has a track record of bouncing back and I believe they will. Go FLASHES!
02-05-2004 08:00 AM
Advertisement

axeme Offline
Sage

I Root For: hoops

Folding@NCAAbbsDonatorsCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappies

We didn't look like a very good team last night, I'm sure. Never good to have a letdown game, but it is very hard for all these young players to keep the intensity up every night out, particularly after the series of big games we have had lately.
Haut and Haynes--2/14. Usually that means a loss, but we got away with a less than steller effort on both ends. Championship teams needs a few of these--we certainly had a couple in 2002 when we were 17-1.
I certainly saw one in Ft. Wayne in game 2.
That's the beauty of it--we are both the team we saw in these games and the one that blew Toledo and Detroit out of the water. We'll be happy when this road trip ends. I agree with whomever said it may be ugly in Mt. Pleasant, too.
But I don't mind winning ugly! 04-bow
02-05-2004 08:14 AM
1st String

I Root For:

FlashFan Wrote:From that view, nashville, there were several times I thought Kent would lose.
FlashFan, I was thinking of you while I was listening to the game because I knew you were there. I was unaware of the flu problems so at least that explains why the Flashes were not at their best. The reason I was confident that Kent would win was because I knew that Christian was going to get their attention at half time and make them play better defense. Of course I would have felt silly if they hadn't won after making my comment on the board that Kent would come out the second half and play with much more intensity. Although the Flashes were not as intense in the 2nd half as I thought they would be, nevertheless they did enough to secure the win.

Hopefully the flu will run its course and the Flashes will be feeling much better by Saturday.

Go Flashes!!!
02-05-2004 08:35 AM
RobertN Offline
Legend

I Root For: THE NIU Huskies

FlashFan Wrote:Sorry I did not stop by to say "hello", Robert. It was a hectic day and I left work later than expected. Walked out without your note. My spouse threatened to leave if I walked around behind the broadcaster's table looking for a guy named Robert I connected with in a internet chat room. As I was already pushing it on the weeknight road trip, decided not to take up the challenge. Maybe you spotted us. We had the Kent State signs directly across from the Flashes' bench. Your team is not as bad as you believe. Hand in there.
I understand. I really didn't expect you to come over but was just trying to be nice. :) Wasn't sure where you were but when you mentioned the signs and where you sat, I do remember seeing you. I don't know if this really means anything to you but you guys had definately had more fans than Toledo who came in on a Saturday. Good luck the rest of the way. Let me just say while I was hoping that we would win, I was also thinking how it could hurt the conference if we did(2 NCAA bids possibility). Luckily football is around the corner. Oops, sorry to bring up that subject. 03-lol
02-05-2004 04:19 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.