Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

BG QB (RB) Position
Bookmark and Share
Falconsquawk Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For:

I must admit that I am not a diehard BG fan, but something lately has been disturbing me. The trend with Urban Meyer and Greg Brandon has been to replace the quarterback position with another running back. I followed their recruiting this year and it seemed like they were only interested in one quarterback -- Anthony Turner. I think I saw that his stats showed that he passed for something like only 1300 yards (DII schools hold their QB's to higher standards). Now I am guessing that he ran for atleast as many yards as he passed for and that may be why he was rated so high among Ohio QB's. My question however becomes: we have predetermined the number of times that our QB is going to run the ball. We know he is rushing for more attempts than our actual running back. So, why not recruit another running back than a QB that might (term used loosely) be able to throw. Move Pope or Lane up to QB and move the other to running back. This way they both get more opportunities to carry the ball. Also, the running back recruit that was cold shouldered by his hometown Rockets will be coming in next year. I guarantee that Hood will be much faster than either Jacobs or Turner, so we should get those guys into some sort of speed and agility programs, move them to wide reciever, train Hood to throw a 5 yard screen pass and we will be better off. We should face it, our years of getting away with this offense with mediocre QB's is over. It just makes me mad because I remember when Blackney was here, the boys played Football. This game, though it has sort of worked, they did win the west this year, I don't see it working in the future. Schools like Miami and Toledo just keep getting better recruits each year and we will not be able to compete with them if we stick to this route. I mean, did anyone see who Toledo and Miami signed compared to who we signed. Our recruiting rivals Eastern's and those others at the bottom of 1A.

Sorry for writing so much, but the frustration has added up and I am beginning to blow. Oh yeah, I also wanted to say that we did a disservice to the Harris family (I think). I believe that there are going to be linebackers in the NFL faster than he is, therefore he is not going to be able to run the ball. I know that if he would attempt a pass, the defensive secondary is much faster than the ducks he throws. I think that we should have trained him to throw a ball while he was in Bowling Green to atleast make him a dual threat in the NFL. My quess is that he is a 2-and-out in the NFL. It's just too bad.

On the positive side, I think that our two only hurdles next year lie in Oklahoma and Toledo. Both Jason White and Bruce "Almighty" are going to be back, along with most of their starters also. My guess is that those will be our only two losses (if we just concede and place a running back at the QB position) which still isn't too bad.

I don't know, just my thoughts and opinions. -- Bring back Blackney, bring back football, when football was football and QB's threw the ball.
02-14-2004 01:01 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

factman Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:

Go back to the Rocket board and stay........there are many more like you there!
You might want to look at the MAC offensive stats, before you come on a board and make a complete fool of yourself. 05-nono
02-14-2004 02:18 PM
able1 Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For:

<Josh Harris

Class:
Senior

2003: Named honorable mention All-American and MVP of the Motor City Bowl... invited to play in the Senior Bowl... completed 325-of-494 passes (65.8%) for a school-record 3,813 yards and 27 touchdowns

ranks second in school history in passing yards and passing TDs>

Yeah, Harris is a RB that can't pass to save his life. Thats how he climbed so high in the record books in passing.
I could site much much more, but I'm in a rush right now and don't have the time to waste trying to change your mind. Do your research before posting garbage like that. :rolleyes:
02-14-2004 02:51 PM
falconssquawk Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For:

I am sorry, please do not take offense to any of what I have or will post. I am only expressing my opinions. I understand if you do not agree with mine, but I was just wondering if anyone else does. Thank you for commenting though, I welcome discussion, as that is the purpose for my post. I have to say, for clarification to factman, that I am a BG fan. I am a bigger fan of UT's and Miami's style and system and I do regret to see that [in my opinion] BG is headed down a dead end path. I am new to this bulletin board system and I have even added another "S" to my name since I first logged on, so please understand that I am new and I am not trying to make anyone angry. I only want to draw discussion.

Yes, I have seen Harris's stats, but the game is more than just paper. I honestly feel nervous about the kid's future, though I do hope him and the rest of our team the best.

Ay-Ziggy-Zoomba!
02-14-2004 03:15 PM
Class of 61 Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For:

Falconsquack,
(And that's not a typo)...perhaps you should read Vandalay.com and read Nick Vandalay's evaluation of the MAC recruiting..in particular, since you don't think BG recruited well for D-1 school... Also check out USA Today.com, go to Chris Lawler's evaluation of all the MAC teams. It would appear that these gentlemen, who seem to have a "bit" more knowledge than you seem to possess, don't agree with your evaluation.
As to Anthony Turner's sr. yr. stats., they don't come close to his Jr. yr., when Dayton C-J won the state D-2 championship.This was partly due to the fact that he was injured for part of the season. If you know ANYTHING about h.s. sports in Ohio, the difference between D-1 and D-2 schools involves their male enrollment, grades 10-12. MANY D-2 schools compete and more than hold their own in D-1 leagues. As to "holding their kids to higher standards", I'm assuming you mean that they need to have more yardage, td's etc. GET A LIFE!
Frankly, I saw Turner play in the championship game his jr. yr. and he didn't impress me as much as the sophomore TB they had...but he made the big play when they needed to, against Nordonia HS..that's a school between Cleve. and Akron in case you need a geography lesson too. :chair:
02-14-2004 11:43 PM
able1 Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For:

Okay, as difficult as this is for me, I'm going to try to take this thread seriously for a second.

I completely disagree with pretty much all of your original points.
Let me start with the Gary Blackney era. My freshman year at BG was Blackney's first year here. He did wonderful things for the school and the program when he first arrived. Blackney was a good coach and a great person. I met and spoke with him several times. For whatever reasons, he couldn't keep up with the rapidly improving MAC and it was time for a change. I won't speculate on why Blackney wasn't getting the job done in the second half of his tenure, but it's clear that he wasn't. I think the conference as a whole has improved greatly since the early 90's when Blackney arrived.
I'm not sure what your issue is with BG's current system, but it works. I would like to see more variety in our offensive sets too, but it's hard to argue with an offense that was near the top in the nation in yards per game and points per game during the past two years.
Finally, I think you are way off base with what I perceive as your main point... the QB's in our current system. If I were to write down my all time BG football team, Harris would be my starting QB. We have had some good ones. McClure and White jump out at me immediately. I don't think either of them were as good as Harris was by the time he was a senior. Harris was a QB (to be read leader) first, who happened to be able to run the ball pretty well. I agree that stats don't tell the whole story, but you don't become your schools season passing yards/TD's record holder if you can't throw the ball. Harris is an excellent QB with a very strong arm. We have several lined up after him with the potential to be just as good, if not better (Jacobs, Turner, and others). So your issue is that we have very good QB's that happen to be able to run the ball as well?
I just wonder how much you actually follow BG football. As much as I respect Blackney, I'll take the recent trend of being at the top of the conference over the second half of the Blackney era any day. If you want the rest of us to continue to have a serious discussion with you, you'll have to present some decent reasons for believing what you do. I challenge you to come up with a BG team that is better than what we have seen the past two seasons.
02-15-2004 01:48 AM
Advertisement

falconssquawk Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For:

You are probably right in most of what you have said able1. My only complaint is the way that I think we are planning to use the QB position in the future. I only hope that the coaches are recruiting players based on their ability pass as well as run. I know that it has worked the past couple of seasons, but I was only questioning its future. Like I said before, I am not as big of a fan as probably most of you guys are, as I did only watch 4 of their games this year, so I am sure you guys have more insight into this than I do. With that said, I am not saying that I am right by any means, it is just my opinion.

I do have to say that I sort of disagree with class of 61 though. I can not argue with the academics portion of your D1A - DII comparison, but I would pick BG in their worst year over any DII football team comfortably. I am not sure they could hold their own against the Falcons.
02-15-2004 03:32 PM
Class of 61 Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For:

My reference to D1 and D2 was to HIGH SCHOOL FOOTBALL, not college...not only do you demonstrate a lack of knowledge about BG football, you seem to be somewhat "limited" in your ability to read also!!!
But I'm sure it makes all Falcon fans happy that YOU think we could beat D2 teams. :chair:
02-15-2004 07:31 PM
Falconfreak90 Offline
All American

I Root For:
Crappies

My only reply....

Look at BGSU now compared to 5-6 years ago.

I simply cannot waste time on this post...thanks to all the other BG fans for saying everything I would so I didn't have to! 04-rock

GO FALCONS!!!

Oklahoma...the next BCS victim! 04-bow
02-16-2004 09:21 AM
rocketfootball Offline
Legend

I Root For: Toledo
CrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappies

factman Wrote:Go back to the Rocket board and stay........there are many more like you there!
You might want to look at the MAC offensive stats, before you come on a board and make a complete fool of yourself. 05-nono
factman wonders why fans from other schools don't like him. The BG fan posts on here that he is not a die-hard and may be wrong on his thinking and factman jumps all over him. 05-nono

For falconssquawk - Anthony Turner is a very good QB. Don't let his passing yards in high school fool you. You birdbrains got a good QB there.
02-16-2004 10:04 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
TJRocket Offline
All American

I Root For: Toledo Rockets

Crappies

factman Wrote:Go back to the Rocket board and stay........there are many more like you there!
This coming from the master of puppets... :rolleyes:
02-16-2004 12:35 PM
Advertisement

TJRocket Offline
All American

Crappies

Falconsquawk Wrote:I must admit that I am not a diehard BG fan, but something lately has been disturbing me. The trend with Urban Meyer and Greg Brandon has been to replace the quarterback position with another running back. I followed their recruiting this year and it seemed like they were only interested in one quarterback -- Anthony Turner. I think I saw that his stats showed that he passed for something like only 1300 yards (DII schools hold their QB's to higher standards). Now I am guessing that he ran for atleast as many yards as he passed for and that may be why he was rated so high among Ohio QB's. My question however becomes: we have predetermined the number of times that our QB is going to run the ball. We know he is rushing for more attempts than our actual running back. So, why not recruit another running back than a QB that might (term used loosely) be able to throw. Move Pope or Lane up to QB and move the other to running back. This way they both get more opportunities to carry the ball. Also, the running back recruit that was cold shouldered by his hometown Rockets will be coming in next year. I guarantee that Hood will be much faster than either Jacobs or Turner, so we should get those guys into some sort of speed and agility programs, move them to wide reciever, train Hood to throw a 5 yard screen pass and we will be better off. We should face it, our years of getting away with this offense with mediocre QB's is over. It just makes me mad because I remember when Blackney was here, the boys played Football. This game, though it has sort of worked, they did win the west this year, I don't see it working in the future. Schools like Miami and Toledo just keep getting better recruits each year and we will not be able to compete with them if we stick to this route. I mean, did anyone see who Toledo and Miami signed compared to who we signed. Our recruiting rivals Eastern's and those others at the bottom of 1A.

Sorry for writing so much, but the frustration has added up and I am beginning to blow. Oh yeah, I also wanted to say that we did a disservice to the Harris family (I think). I believe that there are going to be linebackers in the NFL faster than he is, therefore he is not going to be able to run the ball. I know that if he would attempt a pass, the defensive secondary is much faster than the ducks he throws. I think that we should have trained him to throw a ball while he was in Bowling Green to atleast make him a dual threat in the NFL. My quess is that he is a 2-and-out in the NFL. It's just too bad.

On the positive side, I think that our two only hurdles next year lie in Oklahoma and Toledo. Both Jason White and Bruce "Almighty" are going to be back, along with most of their starters also. My guess is that those will be our only two losses (if we just concede and place a running back at the QB position) which still isn't too bad.

I don't know, just my thoughts and opinions. -- Bring back Blackney, bring back football, when football was football and QB's threw the ball.
Say hi to Andy Sahm everybody!!!! 03-nutkick :rofl:
02-16-2004 12:36 PM
Falconfreak90 Offline
All American

I Root For:
Crappies

Andy Sahm? Oh I remember him well!!

300+ yards passing in his FIRST career start against...against....um, help me out fellas...who did we beat 34-23 that night?
um......OH YEAH....it was Toledo! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Andy was a solid qb....but when Meyer came in everyone knew who would be running the offense...J5. Andy did some great things at BG and accepted his role as backup without complaining.

Glad to see you remember him TJ!!

03-lol
02-17-2004 09:58 AM
jacojdm Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For:

i think he was implying that falconsquawk is andy sahm in disguise. i thought it was kind of funny.
02-17-2004 02:51 PM
TJRocket Offline
All American

Crappies

Im glad someone got the joke. 03-lol
02-17-2004 03:17 PM
Falconfreak90 Offline
All American

I Root For:
Crappies

jacojdm Wrote:i think he was implying that falconsquawk is andy sahm in disguise. i thought it was kind of funny.
Yeah fellas, I kind of knew that. :rolleyes:

I was just giving TJ credit for remembering Andy.
02-17-2004 03:36 PM
Advertisement

Falcon Frenzy Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:

Wow this is the most action I have seen the BG board in awhile.

1. Blackney is a good coach, not a great coach. He is a better assistant than head coach. The only reason he had success at BG was because Blackney knew how to coach but couldn't recruit; and took over a sinking ship from who???? Do you know squak? Well I'll help you out his name was Moe Ankney who didn't have one winning season in his tenure. Ankney could recruit but couldn't coach. As soon as Ankney's recruits graduated is when Blackney's ship started to sink back in 95. This contradicts when Urban Liar took over but I think Urban is prolly one of the best coaches to coach at BG (other than Doyt & nobody compares to him) and was upset he left but he is the real deal, he could make something out of nothing which he proved in his short stay.

2. Turner didn't have great stats because of an injury as previously posted but he also had Iowa, Illinois, and West Virginia after him but decided to stay in-state. Not too shabby to have 2 BCS conferences after you.

3. While you are trying to convert QBs into receivers and running backs into QBs, might as well go the entire way and convert the offensive line to defensive backs.

4. Josh Harris mediocre??? Well I am not going to comment on stupidity. But I will anyhow.. I don't call passing for over 3800 yards and rushing for over 800 yards and 40 combined touchdowns mediocre. Harris carried the ball 24 more times than Pope, and Pope had about 200 more yards rushing.

5. Blackney can stay where he is at now, Maryland is a good fit for him and I don't want him back and let me reiterate your comment about "where QBs threw the ball" 3800 YARDS PASSING!!!
02-21-2004 02:09 AM
Falconfreak90 Offline
All American

I Root For:
Crappies

Falcon Frenzy,

Ahhh yes, Moe "I cannot coach" Ankney. When I attended BG from 86-90, that choch nugget was losing games every year he should have never lost. It was forgettable to say the least.

I liked Gary Blackney as a coach...a good coach, not great. I think his personal life had more to do with his last few years than people think. Imagine being in his shoes....He is a good man and I'm glad things are working out for him at Maryland.

All I can say now? BRANDON IS DA MAN!!! 04-rock 04-rock 04-rock
02-24-2004 03:45 PM
Falcon Frenzy Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:

Falconfreak90 Wrote:Falcon Frenzy,

Ahhh yes, Moe "I cannot coach" Ankney. When I attended BG from 86-90, that choch nugget was losing games every year he should have never lost. It was forgettable to say the least.

I liked Gary Blackney as a coach...a good coach, not great. I think his personal life had more to do with his last few years than people think. Imagine being in his shoes....He is a good man and I'm glad things are working out for him at Maryland.

All I can say now? BRANDON IS DA MAN!!! 04-rock 04-rock 04-rock
Did she pass away, while he was here and that is why he was able to go elsewhere? or did he take her with him?
02-25-2004 10:52 PM
Class of 61 Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For:

Gary Blackney's wife is still alive and DID indeed move with him to Md. I think the "freak's" analysis has some merit, but I was also told something that I don't wish to disclose that may also have contributed to the problems late in his tenure at BG. Then,again, the two things may be interconnected, which is why I will not disclose them. :wave:
02-26-2004 04:26 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.