Kent State Golden Flashes

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Pluto Does It Again!
FlashFan Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Kent State

Another article from Terry Pluto that captures the spirit of Kent State Basketball! I love the analogy of coming from behind to " a bunch of guys pushing a car out of a snowbank."

He also captures the feeling inside the M.A.C.C. BTW, sitting at home yesterday, "WE ARE...KENT STATE" came across loud and clear. 04-rock

<a href='http://www.ohio.com/mld/ohio/sports/7959124.htm' target='_blank'>http://www.ohio.com/mld/ohio/sports/7959124.htm</a>
02-15-2004 08:47 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

The Flash Offline
All American

Another great article by Terry! He really seems to finally enjoy the opportunity to follow and write about a "big time", respected program in his backyard and is writing his usual award winning style.

On another note, as a nod to our friend GFLASH68, Laing really does appear small time. He was looking to make the MAC FINAL FOUR and Gary Waters was looking at the NCAA FINAL FOUR.

Thank you Gary Waters! 04-bow We should thank him every day for starting this and the luck in Laing hiring a guy with vision when he clearly had none.

GO FLASHES!
02-15-2004 09:04 AM
FlashFan Offline
Heisman

I have to agree with GF68 that Laing certainly does not come across as 'thinking big" in this article.
02-15-2004 01:37 PM
GFlash68 Offline
All American

Crappies

Thanks guys and I have dropped an email to Terry Pluto (not the first time) to compliment him on the enjoyment that he spreads with the pen. He is, without any doubt, the best writer in the country. Try his books on any subject.

As for LK, I could share many stories that would continue to confirm that our AD is small time. Although we are well in BB, A bigger timer would have a standing room only crowd for events like yesterday. Yes, it was good and the students are fabulous. I saw empty seats (just a few) and that is too many.
02-15-2004 03:09 PM
ksu315 Offline
1st String

I Root For:

gflash68 i would like some examples of the small time because all i see is improvement from the time he started.
02-15-2004 07:29 PM
Advertisement

GFlash68 Offline
All American

Crappies

I wrote a fairly long post several months ago voicing my displeasure and outlining some of those items. I do not feel good doing it because I am such a fan of KSU. And, I can see the good things that you see also. This is not time to be negative, but I will say the following. I am not like others who see Kent State doing well with "all its baggage". I happen to think that KSU is in position to be much better than most of our conference counterparts. This even goes for FB attendance. Our facilities are a great base for growth. And following the past 2 or 3 ADs would make any mediocre AD look good. We are the largest school in the MAC, and in the most populous region. In general, our AD does not view the athletic department as the front porch of the university, but rather, it is an advanced intramural program that the community is invited to attend. Sometimes, the invitations do not even get out. It is goals and attitudes.
02-15-2004 07:55 PM
ksu315 Offline
1st String

I Root For:

Gflash68 - Fair enough. I do see some of your points and haven't thought about it from that angle. Its extremely tough as it feels that no matter what we do we will always be stuck in the shadow of the Big Ten, unless we could somehow get to the profile of a Cincinnati.

I will agree that the marketing of KSU sports has been horrendous and despite all our success we've had few sellouts at the MAC center?? I just don't get it. I think MAC sports in general is one of the best kept secrets in the midwest.

The MAC tourney at the Gund has been great and Chryst is doing wonders for the conference.
02-16-2004 08:34 AM
Falconfreak90 Offline
All American

I Root For:
Crappies

Congrats, Kent, on the hard fought win. I though it was a well played game and the officiating was, shall I say, good!!??? It really was...Man, I thought we had this one. Just like the game at AA where Kent goes on a 12-5 run to win in the end, Kent on a 13-5 run to win this one.

I must disagree with Terry Pluto saying the crowd was loud and wild...it was for about 10 minutes the whole game. Maybe BG playing so well kept the crowd mainly out of it but I've been to the last 6 BG/Kent games there and it was the most laid back crowd I seen there. With ESPN2, I expected it to be very hostile. Wasn't close to that much of the game. The "BG sucks" chant is lame...I don't understand why any student body (including our own at BG) would shout "So & So sucks"...if we suck, and we took you to the wire twice, what does that say for you?

All in all a great game although the outcome blew.

Kent deserves to be ranked in the Top 25...pure and simple.
02-16-2004 09:00 AM
axeme Offline
Sage

I Root For: hoops

Folding@NCAAbbsDonatorsCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappies

Falconfreak--I was there as well and I'd agree with you--the crowd got into at some moments when the Flashes were starting runs, but it was such a choppy, out of rhythm game, plus it was a s-l-l-o-o-w-w game as well--2 hours and 15 minutes due to the fouls and all the tv to's.
I just watched the game again on tape and the officiating was very erratic. Should have been about 6-8 more "no-calls" and they would have had it about right. Netter and Edwards should have been in the game more. The ticky-tacks on Rheimold and Haut also kept two of the better scorers out of the flow of the game more.
The "(opponent) sucks" cheer is, as always, lame and I really hope they put that back in the sack for the Creigton game. I understand BG is more of a personal rivalry, which brings out the dumbness in all fans. Though when the little corner of BG fans behind me started the "B-G-S-U" chant, the Flash students quickly responded with "C-K-S," which is better. 03-wink
On the plus side for the Flashes, we didn't show Creighton much of our usual offense.
02-16-2004 09:40 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.