Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

WR no problem for Cards
Bookmark and Share
Willo Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For:

<a href='http://www.bsudailynews.com/vnews/display.v/ART/2004/08/26/412d7bd955419' target='_blank'>http://www.bsudailynews.com/vnews/display....6/412d7bd955419</a>

FOOTBALL Cards return experience, production at wide receiver
Depth allowed staff to move one wideout to running back

Mike Genet and Justin Hesser | Daily News Staff
August 26, 2004

While the Ball State offense spent the offseason finding a new quarterback and improving its running game, wide receiver has certainly not been an area of much concern -- and it's obvious why.

"The receivers are probably the strength of our team," second-year head coach Brady Hoke has said on more than one occasion.

The strength starts with junior Dante Ridgeway, whose 2003 season will be tough to match, let alone better. Ridgeway's 82 receptions blew away the school single-season record, while his 10 touchdowns tied for No. 1 and his 1,024 yards was second-best.

At 6-1, 199 pounds, Ridgeway is not the biggest receiver, nor does he have exceptional speed. But the junior runs good routes, has a knack for getting open, and is undoubtedly the go-to receiver. Over the off-season, he worked on improving his hands.

"Dante Ridgeway had an excellent year a year ago," Hoke said. "He's had a very good summer."

Even without Ridgeway, the cupboard is stocked well enough. Junior Ryan Hahaj (29 catches, 324 yards, two touchdowns) gave way to sophomore Bryan Williamson (36-481-1) as the other starter, but they will share the job in 2004. The 6-3, 204-pound Williamson was named the team's most valuable freshman last year.

Terry Moss, a 5-10, 182-pound sophomore, had one catch for 17 yards and will be the No. 4 man. Senior Jason Barnes sat out last season after having knee surgery, but in 2002 he caught 15 passes for 169 yards and two TDs.

"With Ryan Hahaj, Bryan Williamson and Terry Moss [plus Ridgeway] we have a good group of four," Hoke said. "Jason Barnes adds depth and toughness."

All the returning production allowed Hoke and his staff to move junior Larry Bostic, last year's second-leading receiver, to running back, his position in high school. Bostic will likely start there in the season opener on Sept. 2.

The tight ends, senior Mark Franklin and sophomore Mike Steinhaus, combined for 18 catches, 117 yards and five touchdowns in 2003.

"I like our two tight ends," Hoke said. "Mark Franklin has been a great leader for us. Mike Steinhaus played quite a bit as a freshman. He's a guy who could have a bright future because he loves to play and he's got a nastiness in what he plays for."

Hoke is also excited about the potential of freshmen Dan Dunford, Darius Hill and Louis Johnson.

Being the team strength, the BSU staff has looked to the receivers to elevate the overall performance.

"Our coach tells us to go out there and compete and bring our other positions ... to our level so our level can rise as a team," Ridgeway said. "I think we all complement each other. We've got some speed and some height out there."

That speed and height is a welcome sight for sophomore Joey Lynch as he settles in at quarterback for the Cardinals.

"A new quarterback coming in and having an experienced group of wide receivers," Lynch said, "it's going to make my job a lot easier."

"I've just got to do my part and get us in the right place. Once I drop back and make my reads I know they'll be open and catch the ball."
08-26-2004 12:21 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.