Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Recruiting - Otis Kirk article
Bookmark and Share
calling_the_hogs Offline
1st String

I Root For:

From Otis Kirk, the recruiting guru of Arkansas
<a href="http://www.wholehogsports.com" target="_blank">www.wholehogsports.com</a>

Recruiting: Texas linebacker not ready to pick a favorite

BY OTIS KIRK -ARKANSAS DEMOCRAT-GAZETTE

FAYETTEVILLE -- Lewisville (Texas) linebacker Demario Pleasant can't count the scholarship offers as fast as they come in.

Pleasant, 6-3, 220, 4.5 in the 40-yard dash, estimated Saturday he has about 20 scholarship offers. Pleasant is considered one of the top linebackers in Texas after a junior season that saw him record 86 tackles with four sacks.

"I don't have a favorite right now," Pleasant said. "I haven't started the process of narrowing it down."

Pleasant is being recruited by Arkansas assistant James Shibest. Pleasant received a phone call from Shibest in the spring and liked what he heard.

"He talked to me about the school," Pleasant said. "We talked about the depth chart and what kind of impact I could make as a freshman at Arkansas. He thought I had a chance to come in and make a big impact very early. I want to play right away."

Pleasant is one of four players on his high school team being sought by Shibest and many others. The other recruits are safety Tony Cade, 6-2, 195, 4.5, lineman-tight end Tremayne Standberry, 6-3, 240, 4.9, and athlete Earvin Parker, 6-2, 190, 4.3.

Pleasant is still unsure the exact position he will play in college.

"I will probably play outside linebacker, but I could play inside as well," Pleasant said. "I probably prefer outside linebacker, but it really doesn't matter too much."

Pleasant doesn't have any plans to attend any camps this summer but will narrow his choices in the fall before taking his five official visits. The Razorbacks could be one of the schools fortunate enough to draw an official visit from Pleasant.

"Arkansas isn't too far away, and they go to a bowl game each year," Pleasant said. "I like the conference they play in as well."

With four major college prospects just in the senior class, Pleasant is excited about Lewisville's chances this fall.

"We have a team that has very good team speed," Pleasant said. "Our speed will allow us to get to the ball quickly."

None of the group is any faster than Parker, who has recorded a 10.2 in the 100-meter dash. In addition to Arkansas, some of the schools that have offered Pleasant include UCLA, Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas, Southern California, Texas A&M and West Virginia.

LINEMAN INTERESTED Houston Cy Creek offensive lineman Robert Felton, 6-4, 320, 5.4, has started narrowing down his schools.

Felton has five offers, including one from the Razorbacks, and is considering Texas in addition to the schools that have offered. The others offering scholarships are TCU, Arizona, Arizona State and Wisconsin.

Felton is being recruited by Arkansas assistant James Shibest and said he enjoyed his conversation with the UA coach during the spring.

"We talked about what Arkansas has to offer," Felton said. "Coach Shibest told me that linemen are a high priority for the Razorbacks this year."

Felton hopes Arkansas offers him an official visit so he can see the school. Felton has attended the Nike camp at Texas A&M as well as a camp at Houston.

"I don't know too much about Arkansas, but I'm really interested and hope they give me a chance to visit," Felton said. "I want to see how I fit in and everything before I make my decision."

While Felton has never been inside the state of Arkansas, he has had numerous opportunities to watch the Hogs on television.

"I was impressed with them last year," Felton said. "I like the SEC and hope to learn more about Arkansas."

QUICK HITS Klein Oak (Texas) offensive lineman Kirk Elder, 6-4, 290, 5.0, was being recruited by the Razorbacks but recently gave an oral pledge to Texas A&M. ... Wylie (Texas) wide receiver Derrick Jones, 6-2, 190, 4.6, is being recruited by the Razorbacks. Jones is related to Rodger Hunter, the student life coordinator at Arkansas

<small>[ June 25, 2002, 12:27 PM: Message edited by: calling_the_hogs ]</small>
06-25-2002 11:26 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

User(s) browsing this thread:

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.