Kent State Golden Flashes

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

WMU
GFlash68 Online
All American

I Root For: Kent State

Crappies

I will be very suprised if Wednesday's game at WMU is not our most difficult of the year. The Broncos shound good and that long home winning streak will not be broken without some good fortune. I really like our team and because our road performance has been brilliant in spurts, I hope that we can make a spurt last 2 halfs against WMU. Did anyone notice how we finally started attacking the basket in the second half against Miami. To me, that was the key to extending the second half lead. I really like it when Edwin and Haynes start penetration. I believe that JC emphasized this last week in order to help us beyond the long dry spells. Man, did JC coach it up or what. His player rotation was superb. His time outs were purposeful. He change up of defenses kept Miami off game. Be thankful for our coach. Go Flashes!! 04-rock 04-rock
01-10-2005 03:03 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

MikeSpicer Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Ball State

You mean more difficult than the one you already lost at Ball State? 03-wink

Haven't had much to gloat about in a few years, so thought I would while I could. :D
01-10-2005 03:47 PM
kentstatejeff Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: KSU, UMD

Miami was definitely one of the best all-around games played and coached so far this year. It will be interesting to see how this weeks games pan out but i totally agree that Western Michigan game will be tough being that we are away from home. Even though we are undersized on the inside Kevin, Nate, and Scott have all been playing their asses off and will only get better as the season goes along, besides wins and losses only matter at tourney time, its all about experience now.
01-10-2005 03:50 PM
Flashfan88 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For:

If we play the D like we did against Miami I think we should be right in this game;
that was the best I seen in a few years. Western is the top dog right now so the motivation should be
there for this team to get a big road win against another solid team.

We need this one!!

Question for Gflash68........................

Doug Sims who is helping Bill Needle on the TV broadcasts, it sounds like he was a good player from way back;
Just how good was he?
01-10-2005 05:16 PM
GFlash68 Online
All American

Crappies

He was one of KSUs finest. He was about 6'-10" (he looks a little shorter with age) and played outside with a very good long range shot. Very smooth. He did play several minutes in the NBA. I believe it was for Cincinnati when they had a team. (some say the bearcats are a pro team ) :D As I recall, Doug was a 18-20 points per game player. BTW, KSU has a MAC referee who did the EMU game. Mike Foote was one of the best guards to ever wear a KSU uniform. He was the guard on the team that beat Purdue at Purdue in the 70s. He was easily one of KSUs top 5 guards of all time. He may be as high as 2. He is a very good official, however, he blew a couple in EMUs favor when they were closing the gap. Sometimes I think he overcompensates against KSU in order to appear impartial. :bighat:
01-10-2005 05:43 PM
bucNbronco11 Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For:

I would like to extend an invitation to all Kent State fans to make the trip on Wednesday evening to view arguably the best MAC basketball atmosphere. It is a shame that a Saturday game could not be scheduled so that more KSU students could make the trip - word has it KSU and WMU are the most intimidating places in their respective divisions to play - it would have been a great venue for a student section battle. Join us for chat at <a href='http://www.broncosillustrated.com' target='_blank'>http://www.broncosillustrated.com</a> if your're interested. Best of luck.
01-10-2005 06:31 PM
Advertisement

FlashFan Offline
Heisman

We need one of the next two. Hopefully, this team got some confidence back on Saturday to give them the road boost. Both WMU and OU will be tough environments, but not any more so than Marquette or Boston College. If we learned something out of those games it will show nect week. ( The fact that BC went on to beat U Conn at home the next game should not be lost on our guys. We played with them, until the last minute.)

Random observations:

I like Edwin off the bench. Maybe it lets the game come to him a bit more by watching the flow and pace first. Like the fact he and Haynes went to the paint more on Saturday. Plus, Gates has the size and stamina to play more minutes at 2 guard than say an E. Haut. Gates starting and Edwin off the bench has been a boost the last two games. We'll see.

Gerwig is getting more minutes every game without diminishing his productivity. Our post play with Cutley, Gerwig and Warz will just get better and better.

I will not even be able to get a score until after the Marshall game. Got some good ones coming up. Hope we can keep it together.
01-10-2005 07:17 PM
The Flash Offline
All American

Haynes attacking the basket is key. There are few guards who can keep up with him off the dribble. When he started attacking the basket at CSU was when KSu came back. CSU had no one that could stop him and I doubt that there are many guards in the MAC than can either. He needs to take over by attacking and guys need to migrate to the basket for a pass and an easy lay-in or O rebound and put backs. This will also take pressure off the outside shooters and allow Edwin and Warz to hit the outside shots without a body right on them or a hand right in their face.

Wed would be a nice win, but I am worried about OU on Sat. We just don't seem to be able to get over at the Convo. They seem to have our number down there. 03-banghead
01-10-2005 07:37 PM
BlueFlash Offline
2nd String

I Root For:

Looks like this is the battle of MAC teams who make the <a href='http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/bracketology' target='_blank'>Big Dance</a>

Of course, they have been wrong before. 03-banghead 03-banghead 03-banghead

I am thinking about going to this game. 04-rock 04-rock
01-10-2005 10:19 PM
loft Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For:

17-7 WMU right now. We need to hit the boards it seems like.

Now 29-11 WMU. Flashes seem lost.
01-12-2005 07:18 PM
axeme Offline
Sage

I Root For: hoops

Folding@NCAAbbsDonatorsCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappies

This is bad ugly.
WMU is shooting 60%.
We're playing like crap. Can't even make FT's.
01-12-2005 07:37 PM
Advertisement

axeme Offline
Sage

Climbing back a bit--if we can get this to 10-12 by halftime...
01-12-2005 07:47 PM
loft Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For:

The game is turing into a joke now.

54-28 WMU
01-12-2005 08:08 PM
GFlash68 Online
All American

Crappies

Where is the DEFENSE?????? It also sounds like we do not want to attack the basket. Live by the 3 and die by the 3. 03-banghead 03-banghead 03-banghead
01-12-2005 08:15 PM
Reno79 Offline
Special Teams

Why does Needle sound positively gleeful when KSU is getting their asses handed to them. I know he has to call them but he does he have to put so much emphasis when our guys get beat. Get a clue Needle resign now and let Linder take over.
01-12-2005 08:16 PM
axeme Offline
Sage

Gut check in Athens.
01-12-2005 08:45 PM
Advertisement

ksu315 Offline
1st String

I Root For:

Reno I couldn't agree more. I was listening on my way home from work and i had to turn it off he is so bad. Horrendous, Absolutely terrible, i can't describe how bad he is.

I gotta believe there is some students on campus who would do much better and be much cheaper.
01-12-2005 09:29 PM
BlueFlash Offline
2nd String

I Root For:

BlueFlash Wrote:I am thinking about going to this game. 04-rock&nbsp; 04-rock
Note to self: Don't travel from Chicago to Kalamazoo to see KSU get their ****** kicked.

04-drinky 03-banghead 03-banghead 03-banghead 04-drinky
01-13-2005 12:12 AM
GFlash68 Online
All American

Crappies

Greatest fears came true. This team is young and inconsistent. We should have a much better inside game. I still say that Haynes is not the primary problem, but is is obvious that his touch is not keen. As a point guard, he must penetrate. Then the options are only 2, either dish it off, or shoot. He tends to miss the close in shot. Youngblood has not risen from good junior college player to DI player. Warz has hit some 3s which may have hurt us more than help. He has to be our inside presence. Nothing destroys a big man more than having a pretty good 3 point shot when he is needed elsewhere in the big picture. I am not giving up because we will be very good on certain nights. Could it be that WMU was that good? That is a possibility. 03-banghead
01-13-2005 12:44 PM
brahmag Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For:

It came down to simple things that a team with new and young players will struggle with, like calling screens and picks to pick up the back man. That's why Rost was open for just about every shot he took. Plus, getting down, they easily got out of their game and tried to do things one-on-one. Even if they hadn't done that, they still would have lost, but Western would not have pounded them like they did. Right now, this is a test of Haynes' leadership. I think he'll show it.
01-13-2005 01:31 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.