Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Let's get the conversation rolling
Bookmark and Share
BGSUalum1987 Offline
Noah's Dad

I Root For: BGSU!

For the uniniated, can an EMU fan give some background on the change from Hurons to Eagles, in particular the inexplicable fact that the school missed the marketing gold mine of switching to Emus?

[Image: emu.jpg]

I, for one, will always consider EMU the Hurons, as I still consider Miami the Redskins.

Anyway, tell us a story!
07-15-2005 09:37 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

HuronDave Offline
Heisman

I Root For: The MAC
DonatorsCrappiesCrappies

Ah yes, the old Huron debate. Treading dangerous waters there ’87! It’s been a sore subject since the change occurred.

But, to summarize, the change was initiated and led by an activist Board of Regents who in turn were being led around by the nose by a carpetbagger president and all were bent on showing how enlightened they were by initiating th
07-15-2005 12:23 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
georgia_tech_swagger Offline
Res publica non dominetur

I Root For: GT, USCU, FU, WYO

SkunkworksFolding@NCAAbbsNCAAbbs LUGCrappies

BGSUalum1987 Wrote:[Image: emu.jpg]
:rofl:
07-15-2005 12:54 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
DexterEagle Away
1st String

I Root For: EMU, MSU, SVSU,

HuronDave Wrote:Ah yes, the old Huron debate. Treading dangerous waters there ’87! It’s been a sore subject since the change occurred.

But, to summarize, the change was initiated and led by an activist Board of Regents who in turn were being led around by the nose by a carpetbagger president and all were bent on showing how enlightened they were by initiating th
That's a good summary. I would like to add that the change was made over the objections of the Huron-Wyandotte people who asked the university to keep the Huron nickname. Then president Sheldon basically told them "Shut up, I'll tell you when you are being oppressed." On a humorous note, one of Sheldon's supporters and a key advisor in the move was a Cherokee chief whose name, I believe was Standing Bear. The humor comes in when the Cherokee nation pointed out that he wasn't even Cherokee, let alone a chief.

The whole affair was a study in political correctness run amok. The adoption of "Eagles" was done without consultation with anyone on campus outside of the president's office and the board. There was a brief, student led movement, advocating the adoptions of "Emus" for the new nickname. The change caused a lot of bad feeling among the alumni, my wife included, cost the university unknown amounts of money in contributions, and spawned the Huron Restoration Alumni Club, the largest alumni organization that EMU has.
07-15-2005 02:39 PM
BGSUalum1987 Offline
Noah's Dad

I cannot imagine the immense marketing opportunity missed by not choosing the Emus - Heck, I'd even buy a Easter Michgian Emus t-shirt! Talk about putting a school on the map. Eagles just seems so bland by comparison.
07-15-2005 02:42 PM
Advertisement

HuronDave Offline
Heisman

DonatorsCrappiesCrappies

Actually, my full response got truncated due to some server problems here at work. Here, hopefully, is the whole thing:

Ah yes, the old Huron debate. Treading dangerous waters there ?87! It?s been a sore subject since the change occurred.

But, to summarize, the change was initiated and led by an activist Board of Regents who in turn were being led around by the nose by a carpetbagger president and all were bent on showing how enlightened they were by initiating this change. The funny thing was, the Wyandott Nation (there really are no Huron Indians, technically speaking) had made it known they had no issue with the name, and in fact, had input in the design of the classic Huron logo that you see in my avatar (thanks again, DexterEagle!) and even tried to send a representative to make this known to the Board of Regents. How did the Board respond? They threw out the chief and refused to let him speak because he was not the official agenda.

Here is more irony: The original nickname "Hurons" was adopted back in the 1920?s or 30?s after a school sponsored contest. At the time the big hangout was the "Huron Hotel" which was essentially a speakeasy. The students who hung out there referred to themselves as "Hurons" and that is how the name actually derived. Of course EMU is also situated near to the Huron River.

I agree with you that once the ill-fated decision was made to change the name, at least Emus would have been unique and gotten some attention. Eagles? Give me a break. Of course not long after this occurred the president and most of the board moved on but we were stuck with this change.

There have been attempts to restore the nickname (there is even a Huron Restoration Alumni Chapter) but it appears that we are stuck with Eagles. The good news is that the University is finally acknowledging again its Hurons heritage and allowing the old Huron logo to appear in the Convo Center and other areas alongside the Eagles name.

Well, I guess I got a little long-winded there.
07-15-2005 02:43 PM
BGSUalum1987 Offline
Noah's Dad

Long-winded?

Naaaaah. It's totally trivial details that college sports fans thrive on! 04-rock
07-15-2005 03:23 PM
DexterEagle Away
1st String

I Root For: EMU, MSU, SVSU,

A couple of points:

1. I didn't know about the Huron Hotel story. Great local history.

2. The whole EMU name switch didn't orginate at EMU but at Ypsilanti HS whose athletic teams are known as the Braves. It was started by a woman whose sons are of Chippewa heritage and abetted by the small number of Native Americans who actually care about this "issue". Ironically, the controversy at YHS continues as the same people who started the questioning 10+ years ago have once again risen and are pressuring the HS to change its nickname. YHS still uses the word Braves, as Atlanta presents it, as its logo.
07-15-2005 07:12 PM
HuronDave Offline
Heisman

DonatorsCrappiesCrappies

DexterEagle Wrote:A couple of points:

1. I didn't know about the Huron Hotel story. Great local history.

2. The whole EMU name switch didn't orginate at EMU but at Ypsilanti HS whose athletic teams are known as the Braves. It was started by a woman whose sons are of Chippewa heritage and abetted by the small number of Native Americans who actually care about this "issue". Ironically, the controversy at YHS continues as the same people who started the questioning 10+ years ago have once again risen and are pressuring the HS to change its nickname. YHS still uses the word Braves, as Atlanta presents it, as its logo.
Thanks DE...I didn't know about that bit about Ypsi HS. Funny though how the HS has managed to keep its nickname. 03-banghead
07-16-2005 09:15 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.