Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Basketball Coach Short List
Bookmark and Share
NIURedBlack Offline
Heisman

I Root For: NIU Huskies

Assuming the '05-'06 season is a flop, any suggestions for a Judson replacement? I think Alum touched on rebuilding relations with IL coaches as a top priority. Coach Novak used the "recruiting our backyard" principal successfully....who would be able to step in and get things done?
07-25-2005 01:25 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

niu79 Offline
All American

I Root For: NIU

How about Weber's brother at Glenbrook North?

Most successful coach we ever had from a recruiting standpoint was John McDougal and he came to us after a very successful high school coaching career at West Aurora.
07-25-2005 01:44 PM
Unregistered

CrappiesNew Orleans Bowl

During his brief tenure in DeKalb, Jim Phillips has seemingly devoted most of his energies to football. women's hoops and athletic department issues as a whole. By all indications, little of his energies have been spent on men's hoops. Phillips has a definite background in basketball if you examine his days in Champaign, Knoxville and South Bend. It would seem that as part of his legacy building at NIU, Phillips will want to make an impressive coaching hire after he terminates Rob Judson in March. Its difficult to speculate who might be on his short-list. He could go in any number of directions.
07-25-2005 04:25 PM
Quote this message in a reply
dynovinyl Offline
Heisman

I'm sticking with Chris Collins.
07-25-2005 04:50 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
RobertN Offline
Legend

I Root For: THE NIU Huskies

niu85alum Wrote:During his brief tenure in DeKalb, Jim Phillips has seemingly devoted most of his energies to football. women's hoops and athletic department issues as a whole. By all indications, little of his energies have been spent on men's hoops. Phillips has a definite background in basketball if you examine his days in Champaign, Knoxville and South Bend. It would seem that as part of his legacy building at NIU, Phillips will want to make an impressive coaching hire after he terminates Rob Judson in March. Its difficult to speculate who might be on his short-list. He could go in any number of directions.
Do they have any good assistants at Purdue or Michigan? 03-razz
07-25-2005 04:52 PM
Neuqua Offline
2nd String

I Root For:

What have any of the Duke assistants done after leaving Durham? I'd stay away from Collins.
07-25-2005 04:59 PM
Advertisement

Unregistered

CrappiesNew Orleans Bowl

dynovinyl Wrote:I'm sticking with Chris Collins.
If/when Chris Collins decides to enter coaching, he no doubt will have higher profile opportunities available. Mike Brey has done a heckuva job at Notre Dame. I wonder if there is somebody from his staff that would make an attractive candidate?
07-25-2005 05:19 PM
HuskieDan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
CrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappies

niu85alum Wrote:
dynovinyl Wrote:I'm sticking with Chris Collins.
If/when Chris Collins decides to enter coaching, he no doubt will have higher profile opportunities available. Mike Brey has done a heckuva job at Notre Dame. I wonder if there is somebody from his staff that would make an attractive candidate?
Didn't Brey start out East somewhere?
07-25-2005 09:25 PM
dynovinyl Offline
Heisman

This is the third time this topic has come up in the past year, and each time, Collins elicits either a strong NO or a he'll never come here. I never thought he'd bring that type of response.

Quote: If/when Chris Collins decides to enter coaching, he no doubt will have higher profile opportunities available.
He's been coaching at Duke for a few years. I'm sure he will have some nice suitors some day. Though if NIU really wanted him, I'm sure Phillips could put together an attractive offer.

Quote: Didn't Brey start out East somewhere?
According to his ND bio, he was a Duke assistant from 1987-1995 and the Delaware Head Coach from 1995-2000.
07-25-2005 09:44 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Unregistered

CrappiesNew Orleans Bowl

dynovinyl Wrote:This is the third time this topic has come up in the past year, and each time, Collins elicits either a strong NO or a he'll never come here. I never thought he'd bring that type of response.

Quote: If/when Chris Collins decides to enter coaching, he no doubt will have higher profile opportunities available.
He's been coaching at Duke for a few years. I'm sure he will have some nice suitors some day. Though if NIU really wanted him, I'm sure Phillips could put together an attractive offer.

Quote: Didn't Brey start out East somewhere?
According to his ND bio, he was a Duke assistant from 1987-1995 and the Delaware Head Coach from 1995-2000.
My question was who is on Mike Brey's staff at Notre Dame who conceivably would make a good candidate for the NIU job next spring.
07-26-2005 08:20 AM
dynovinyl Offline
Heisman

niu85alum Wrote:My question was who is on Mike Brey's staff at Notre Dame who conceivably would make a good candidate for the NIU job next spring.
I caught that. I was responding to other things.

As for this question, I have no idea, so I went to nd.edu to check out their staff. They all seem to be east coast guys. Nothing really jumps out to make them an obvious choice, but who knows. Quick reviews.

Sean Kearney. Associate HC - Scranton '81. Worked with Brey at Delaware. Assisted under Pitino at Providence, then at Philidelphia Textile (now Uni), and then at Northwestern under Bill Foster.

Lewis Preston. Ast Coach - Virginia Military Institute '93. Professional career in Europe. Assisted at Coastal Carolina under Pete Strickland and moved to ND under Brey.

Rod Balanis. Ast Coach - Georgia Tech '93. Played professionally in Greece. Began coaching as an ast coach at Colgate. 5 years at ND.
07-26-2005 10:25 AM
Advertisement

BeerNuggets Offline
2nd String

I Root For:

I think John Wooden is still alive, can we offer him the job? Who else has had more success and is a proven winner? :D
07-26-2005 10:39 AM
MaddDawgz02 Offline
Banned

I Root For: any UT opponent

No offense but I think its ridiculous to talk about a replacement for Judson when we are looking ahead at one of the more promising Huskie basketball seasons in recent memory. I really believe a year from now we are going to be more concerned with how to keep Judson tied down over the long haul because you know big programs are going to be calling once this Huskie team breaks through this year, Im not sure we will be able to hold onto him but I trust Phillips will find a way. I am not a homer, and I hate being accused of that, but I cannot see this basketball winning any fewer than 20 games.
07-26-2005 11:02 AM
dynovinyl Offline
Heisman

I think the team has a chance to turn things around, but it's not like there isn't a track record in place that should keep us from talking about the what-ifs.

Perhaps the reemergence of this topic is a sign of the lack of confidence that has been instilled the fan base.
07-26-2005 11:14 AM
NIU89 Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For:

The focus sould be on a promising upcoming season. The Huskies have returning players with 2 to 3 years of experience. The close losses of last year should not be repeated. 18-20 wins
07-26-2005 11:21 AM
HuskieJ Offline
No 1 Illness Hater

I Root For: NIU Only

MaddDawgz02 Wrote:No offense but I think its ridiculous to talk about a replacement for Judson when we are looking ahead at one of the more promising Huskie basketball seasons in recent memory. I really believe a year from now we are going to be more concerned with how to keep Judson tied down over the long haul because you know big programs are going to be calling once this Huskie team breaks through this year, Im not sure we will be able to hold onto him but I trust Phillips will find a way. I am not a homer, and I hate being accused of that, but I cannot see this basketball winning any fewer than 20 games.
How much are you willing to wager on that 20 game pledge? Don't you think that some kind of extension would already be in place, if they wanted Jud around so bad. He is on the hot seat.
07-26-2005 11:21 AM
Advertisement

MaddDawgz02 Offline
Banned

I Root For: any UT opponent

HuskieJ Wrote:
MaddDawgz02 Wrote:No offense but I think its ridiculous to talk about a replacement for Judson when we are looking ahead at one of the more promising Huskie basketball seasons in recent memory.  I really believe a year from now we are going to be more concerned with how to keep Judson tied down over the long haul because you know big programs are going to be calling once this Huskie team breaks through this year, Im not sure we will be able to hold onto him but I trust Phillips will find a way.  I am not a homer, and I hate being accused of that, but I cannot see this basketball winning any fewer than 20 games.
How much are you willing to wager on that 20 game pledge? Don't you think that some kind of extension would already be in place, if they wanted Jud around so bad. He is on the hot seat.
You name the bet and Ill make it, there are only 2 certainities I have about this upcoming basketball season:

1) 20 or more wins
2) The Huskies will not be participating in MAC tournament action on MAC campus sites

I said it last year, Ill pay for everyone's hotel room to the next Huskie bowl game if the Basketball team doesnt accomplish this. SOmeone in a previous post was right on...Ive never seen a team lose so many close games, and with the improved team this year, those could easily go the other way.

I love this paragraph from the preview series on the upcoming basketball season:

“Craig is finally healthy and is coming off a good spring,
07-26-2005 11:41 AM
dynovinyl Offline
Heisman

I think this team has potential. They have the potential to reach 20 wins and be a leader in the MAC west and they have the potential to tank again.

This team is a wild card. They have the potential to reach the top of the MAC west if they cut down on stupid/lazy plays that result in turn overs and learn to put teams away. They also need to improve their defense.

They obviously have the fight in them and the occassional ability to shoot the ball. Can they combine that with improved play in other areas to turn this thing around? I think they can. Will they? That's another story.

So, I don't mind talking about the up coming season and it's potential, but I'm not turning a blind eye to their obvious flaws. Meanwhile, simmering in the background is the employment future of the head coach. It's a salient part of the story as we head toward the start of the school year, and I suspect it'll continue to be analyzed as the season progresses.
07-26-2005 12:32 PM
HuskieJ Offline
No 1 Illness Hater

I Root For: NIU Only

MaddDawgz02 Wrote:
HuskieJ Wrote:[quote="MaddDawgz02"] No offense but I think its ridiculous to talk about a replacement for Judson when we are looking ahead at one of the more promising Huskie basketball seasons in recent memory.  I really believe a year from now we are going to be more concerned with how to keep Judson tied down over the long haul because you know big programs are going to be calling once this Huskie team breaks through this year, Im not sure we will be able to hold onto him but I trust Phillips will find a way.  I am not a homer, and I hate being accused of that, but I cannot see this basketball winning any fewer than 20 games.
You name the bet and Ill make it, there are only 2 certainities I have about this upcoming basketball season:

1) 20 or more wins
2) The Huskies will not be participating in MAC tournament action on MAC campus sites

I said it last year, Ill pay for everyone's hotel room to the next Huskie bowl game if the Basketball team doesnt accomplish this. SOmeone in a previous post was right on...Ive never seen a team lose so many close games, and with the improved team this year, those could easily go the other way.

I love this paragraph from the preview series on the upcoming basketball season:

“Craig is finally healthy and is coming off a good spring,
07-26-2005 12:42 PM
Unregistered

CrappiesNew Orleans Bowl

This Huskie team, as currently constructed, won't make 15 wins in 2005-06. Just one more year of the Rob Judson nightmare before Jim Phillips streaks in and cleans up this bloody mess.
07-26-2005 01:22 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.