Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Augusta chair to women's group..back off
Bookmark and Share
calling_the_hogs Offline
1st String

I Root For:

Hootie Johnson, the chairman of Augusta National Golf Club, released this statement after NCWO chair Martha Burk announced that her women's group were seeking to force women into the membership of Augusta National.

If you must have an SEC link, consider that Arkansas AD Frank Broyles is a member of Augusta National. In fact, he's the only college AD or coach with that honor.

WPS!

Full text of Johnson's statement
"We have been contacted by Marth Burk, Chair of the National Council of Women's Organizations (NCWO), and strongly urged to change our membership. Dr. Burk said this change should take place before the Master's Tournament next spring in order to avoid it becoming 'an issue.' She suggested that NCWO's leadership 'discuss this matter' with us.

We want the American public to be aware of this action right from the beginning. We have advised Dr. Burk that we do not intend to participate in such backroom discussions.

We take out membership very seriously. It is the very fabric of our club. Our members are people who enjoy each other's company and the game of golf. Our membership alone decides our membership -- not any outside group with its own agenda.

We are not unmindful of the good work undertaken by Dr. Burk's organization in global human rights, Social Security reform, reproductive health, education, spousal abuse and workplace equality, among others. We are therefore puzzled as to why they have targeted our private golf club.

Dr. Burk's letter incorporates a deadline tied to the Masters and refers to sponsors of the tournament telecast. These references make it abundantly clear that Augusta National Golf Club is being threatened with a public campaign designed to use economic pressure to a achieve a goal of NCWO.

Augusta National and the Masters -- while happily entwined -- are quite different. One is a private golf club. The other is a world class sports event of great public interest. It is insidious to attempt to use one to alter the other. The essence of a private club is privacy.

Nevertheless, the threatening tone of Dr. Burk's letter signals the probability of a full-scale effort to force Augusta National to yield to NCWO's will.

We expect such a campaign would attempt to depict the members of our club as insensitive bigots and coerce the sponsors of the Masters to disassociate themselves under threat -- real or implied -- of boycotts and other economic pressures.

We might see 'celebrity' interviews and talk show guests discussing the 'morality' of private clubs. We could also anticipate op-ed articles and editorials.

There could be attempts at direct contact with board members of sponsoring corporations and inflammatory mailings to stockholders and investment institutions. We might see everything from picketing and boycotts to t-shirts and bumper stickers. On the internet, there could be active chat rooms and email messaging. These are all elements of such campaigns.

We certainly hope none of that happens. However, the message delivered to us was clearly coercive.

We will not be bullied, threatened or intimidated.

Obviously, Dr. Burk and her colleagues view themselves as agents of change and feel any organization that has stood the test of time and has strong roots in tradition - and does not fit their profile -- needs to be changed.

We do not intend to become a trophy in their display case.

There may well come a day when women will be invited to join our membership but that timetable will be ours and not at the point of a bayonet.

We do not intend to be further distracted by this matter. We will not make additional comments or respond to the taunts and gripes artificially generated by a corporate campaign.

We shall continue our traditions and prepare Augusta National Golf Club to host the Masters as we have since 1934

With all due respect, we hope Dr. Burk and her colleagues recognize the sanctity of our privacy and continue their good work in a more appropriate arena."
07-10-2002 09:35 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

calling_the_hogs Offline
1st String

I Root For:

This was a reply from a poster at <a href="http://www.rabidhogfans.com" target="_blank">www.rabidhogfans.com</a> , named Stone Temple Piglet, on the Augusta situation. I totally agree with this guy.

Kudos to Hootie Johnson for standing up to the NCWO threats regarding women members. Augusta National is a PRIVATE organization. If the 300+ members decide they only want to allow males into the club, what is so wrong with that. It is THEIR club. They should be allowed to run as they see fit. Just because the members don't feel like sharing the club house with a bunch of she-mullets and former phys ed teachers doesn't make them sexist. We don't have any women in our fantasy football league. Should the NCWO force us to include some? If so, how many? This is classic bull**** that we never get enough of in this country. If I only allow 6'8" hermaphrodites from Nigeria in my home, that is my own choice. I own it. I pay the bills. As long as I am not harming anyone, what difference does it make.
If these crybabies want to focus on equality, I have a few suggestions:

1. Quit teeing off from the short knockers and play from the freakin tips for Christ's sake.

2. Play basketball with a FULL SIZE BALL.

3. Put away the softballs, and pitch overhand.

4. If you are too weak, use steroids. It works for the men.

5. Form your own leagues without clinging to the men's sports for financial assistance. (See Title IX and the WNBA)

6. Quit attending college for the sake of obtaining an MRS rather than an MBA.

Look, my wife is an attorney. She has busted her *** to get where she is, and I am extrememly proud of her. She has the ability to work and live where she chooses. If I thought that people were selling her short based on her sex, I would be the first to kick some *** . HOWEVER. I don't invite her to bachelor parties. She has no input in my fantasy draft. And she does not tag along on golf outings with the guys.
07-10-2002 05:29 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.