Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thoughts on Tony Barbee
Bookmark and Share
Proud El Pasoan Offline
1st String

I Root For: UTEP Miners
Thoughts on Tony Barbee
I really like hiring of Tony Barbee as our new BB coach, but here are a few of my thoughts:

1. Want to make an assumption of how long he will stay in El Paso? As a young coach, he most likely proabably does not want to stay at UTEP too long and might have bigger dreams for himself and to provide for his family. If he does provide impressive winning seasons, NCAA birth, NIT birth, he could quickly make the quick move.

2. He is a good recruiter, but how well will be able to convince players to come to El Paso?

3. Assistant coaches who coached with great head coaches don't always make great coaches themselves. After Don Haskins retired, Kentucky assistant Shawn Finney (I believe this was the year Kentucky won the national championship) was a finalist to replace Haskins, but lost out to coach Rab. Finney then later was hired at Tulane where he was fired after five dissapointing seasons. I'm hoping this will not happen with coach Barbee.
08-24-2006 06:58 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

SWFootballFan Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: UTEP
Re: Thoughts on Tony Barbee
Proud El Pasoan Wrote:I really like hiring of Tony Barbee as our new BB coach, but here are a few of my thoughts:

1. Want to make an assumption of how long he will stay in El Paso? As a young coach, he most likely proabably does not want to stay at UTEP too long and might have bigger dreams for himself and to provide for his family. If he does provide impressive winning seasons, NCAA birth, NIT birth, he could quickly make the quick move.

2. He is a good recruiter, but how well will be able to convince players to come to El Paso?

3. Assistant coaches who coached with great head coaches don't always make great coaches themselves. After Don Haskins retired, Kentucky assistant Shawn Finney (I believe this was the year Kentucky won the national championship) was a finalist to replace Haskins, but lost out to coach Rab. Finney then later was hired at Tulane where he was fired after five dissapointing seaons. I'm hoping this will not happen with coach Barbee.

I am excited with the prospect of the Barbee Era. Most fans did not like the Doc Sadler Era.
08-24-2006 11:29 PM
UTEPPacker Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For:

Quote:Most fans did not like the Doc Sadler Era.

Unfortunately this is true... I was a huge fan...

But Barbee is a good hire and his short tenure will be great
08-27-2006 10:51 PM
Lucaminer Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:

UTEPPacker Wrote:
Quote:Most fans did not like the Doc Sadler Era.

Unfortunately this is true... I was a huge fan...

But Barbee is a good hire and his short tenure will be great

I am still confused as to why Doc couldn't win many fans over. All the guy did was win. Last year he won 21 games with 2/3 of a team. As for Barbee, I think the guy is going to be great. i also predict he will be here 4 years. Once we have that practice facility built, recruiting to UTEP will be a whole different ballgame. There is going to be more money to pay him and Coach Price as well....
08-28-2006 10:46 AM
Proud El Pasoan Offline
1st String

The season is still in it's midpoint, but I want to say that I love the way things are going for the Miners under Coach Barbee. He is doing very well coaching the Miners. I've been impressed by the tremedous energy and effort the Miners put on defense as well. He's learned from one of the best coaches in John Calipari. I had my concerns, but he's shown he's fully capable at head coaching. He's having the Miners off to a great start even though we've lost most of our scoring power from last season. He's even doing better than Billy Gillispie did in his first season. Here's to a great future under Coach Barbee, we might eventually reach up to Memphis' level with him eventually.

[Image: 470.jpg]
01-17-2007 11:23 PM
Advertisement

NothinButMiner Offline
1st String

I Root For: UTEP!

Proud El Pasoan Wrote:The season is still in it's midpoint, but I want to say that I love the way things are going for the Miners under Coach Barbee. He is doing very well coaching the Miners. I've been impressed by the tremedous energy and effort the Miners put on defense as well. He's learned from one of the best coaches in John Calipari. I had my concerns, but he's shown he's fully capable at head coaching. He's having the Miners off to a great start even though we've lost most of our scoring power from last season. He's even doing better than Billy Gillispie did in his first season. Here's to a great future under Coach Barbee, we might eventually reach up to Memphis' level with him eventually.

+1. I am officially a Homer when it comes to Tony Barbee...... 04-bow
01-20-2007 05:05 PM
bariggins98 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Tigers
RE: Thoughts on Tony Barbee
Coach Barbee was a great hire for UTEP and you guys should enjoy him for as long as you have him. Folks in Memphis have a huge amount of respect for him as a recruiter, coach, and gentleman. Because of him, UTEP is the only CUSA team besides the Tigers that I keep an eye on. They are the only other CUSA team that has talent AND class.
02-21-2009 10:08 AM
TigerBlue4Ever Offline
Unapologetic A-hole

I Root For: yo mama
(02-21-2009 10:08 AM)bariggins98 Wrote:  Coach Barbee was a great hire for UTEP and you guys should enjoy him for as long as you have him. Folks in Memphis have a huge amount of respect for him as a recruiter, coach, and gentleman. Because of him, UTEP is the only CUSA team besides the Tigers that I keep an eye on. They are the only other CUSA team that has talent AND class.

:iagree:
02-21-2009 06:24 PM
Pyrizzo Offline
Eyes in the Sky

I Root For: nothing
Well 3 years into his tenure at UTEP I would say that progress is slow, but it's progress. Next year I expect UTEP and Tulsa to be fighting for that NCAA spot, and since we a have a 2 game series with them we'll see how Barbee performs in those matchups
(This post was last modified: 05-07-2009 02:11 PM by Pyrizzo.)
05-07-2009 02:10 PM
Advertisement

DxfanMiner Offline
Miner Maniak

I Root For: UTEP/SHSU
I honestly expect UTEP to be the #1 team in CUSA next year. We have so much talent coming back and with the transfers, maybe it will all click.
05-07-2009 10:59 PM
Pyrizzo Offline
Eyes in the Sky

I can't wait too see a Derrick Caracter-Jerome Jordan matchup. Since Caracter won't be eligible to play until December, when do conference games start?
05-07-2009 11:15 PM
DxfanMiner Offline
Miner Maniak

January.
05-07-2009 11:35 PM
Proud El Pasoan Offline
1st String

Four years later after I originally posted this thread I want to say that my expectations for Coach Barbee have now been done. Coach Barbee has brought us an exciting season for Miner Basketball. The sad thing is that Don Haskins didn't live to see this incredible season since he and Barbee were such close friends. I'm sure somewhere up there Coach Haskins is smiling.

Coach Barbee thanks for everything you have provided for us Miners fans and the city of El Paso!!! We look forward to seeing you and the Miners in the Big Dance this season!!! We love you coach, please stay with us. 04-bow
(This post was last modified: 03-07-2010 05:03 PM by Proud El Pasoan.)
03-07-2010 04:59 PM
Advertisement

DxfanMiner Offline
Miner Maniak

(05-07-2009 10:59 PM)DxfanMiner Wrote:  I honestly expect UTEP to be the #1 team in CUSA next year. We have so much talent coming back and with the transfers, maybe it will all click.

I told you so.
03-08-2010 08:50 PM
Homewood_Blazer Offline
1st String

I Root For: UAB/UA
Screw Auburn for stealing him.
04-12-2010 10:05 PM
DxfanMiner Offline
Miner Maniak

(04-12-2010 10:05 PM)Homewood_Blazer Wrote:  Screw Auburn for stealing him.

He actually did us a favor, we have Tim Floyd now04-rock
04-14-2010 02:15 PM
Homewood_Blazer Offline
1st String

I Root For: UAB/UA
He really had y'all rolling though.
04-26-2010 11:11 PM
Advertisement

RUNVSFD MINER Offline
The voice in your head...See?

I Root For: UTEP
Man, Barbee is killing it on recruitment. Too bad he is losing them as fast as he is getting them.
07-16-2012 12:07 AM
Pyrizzo Offline
Eyes in the Sky

(07-16-2012 12:07 AM)RUNVSFD MINER Wrote:  Man, Barbee is killing it on recruitment. Too bad he is losing them as fast as he is getting them.

He's human, he followed the SEC money. I just don't see him competing well as a "coach" in the SEC.
(This post was last modified: 07-16-2012 12:31 AM by Pyrizzo.)
07-16-2012 12:31 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.