Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Split from "Who says CUSA is bad, Part Deux"
Bookmark and Share
L-yes Offline
Heisman

I Root For:

KNIGHTTIME Wrote:
HornLakeTiger Wrote:Didn't we already have this discussion..?

nevermind...I thought Oregon State got knocked out. That would have dropped another conference off the list. Just trying to figure out if the C-USA is the best conference in the country :shhh:

I'm still trying to figure out why you think baseball is a major sport and why going 3-3 in bowl games against the MAC and Sun Belt is some kind of major feat.
06-19-2006 09:58 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

FastCat Offline
All American

I Root For: Houston!!!!

L-yes Wrote:I'm still trying to figure out why you think baseball is a major sport and why going 3-3 in bowl games against the MAC and Sun Belt is some kind of major feat.

Heh... L-yes, tell me some retard hijacked your computer tonight and that you didn't really just type that...

Baseball IS a major sport to every other conference, well except for the BE apparently, and since when did being bowl eligible not become worth something?
06-20-2006 12:30 AM
Maize Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Athletes First

FastCat Wrote:
L-yes Wrote:I'm still trying to figure out why you think baseball is a major sport and why going 3-3 in bowl games against the MAC and Sun Belt is some kind of major feat.

Heh... L-yes, tell me some retard hijacked your computer tonight and that you didn't really just type that...

Baseball IS a major sport to every other conference, well except for the BE apparently, and since when did being bowl eligible not become worth something?

Not really, baseball is still a regional college sport much like Hockey and Wrestling is in the Northeast and Midwest. The only two sports that have broadbase appeal across the country in college athletics is Football and Basketball.

Case in point, in the Big Ten you can say Wrestling and Hockey are the number 3 sports. You had almost 70,000 for a Michigan-Michigan State Hockey game.

In the Big East the number 3 sports is probably Womens Basketball.

In the Pac 10 you can make a solid case for Volleyball as the number 3 sport.

Baseball is big in the SEC and Big XII.

Baseball in the ACC is neck and neck with Lacrosse and Womens Basketball especially at places like UNC, UVA and Maryland.
06-20-2006 12:44 AM
OldCoog Offline
1st String

I Root For: Houston

CrappiesCrappies

Quote:Not really, baseball is still a regional college sport much like Hockey and Wrestling is in the Northeast and Midwest. The only two sports that have broadbase appeal across the country in college athletics is Football and Basketball.

Case in point, in the Big Ten you can say Wrestling and Hockey are the number 3 sports. You had almost 70,000 for a Michigan-Michigan State Hockey game.

In the Big East the number 3 sports is probably Womens Basketball.

In the Pac 10 you can make a solid case for Volleyball as the number 3 sport.

Baseball is big in the SEC and Big XII.

Baseball in the ACC is neck and neck with Lacrosse and Womens Basketball especially at places like UNC, UVA and Maryland.

It's not a major sport at Louisville. Your coach leaving for USF proves that.
06-20-2006 01:50 AM
EagleRockCafe Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Eagles

L-yes Wrote:
KNIGHTTIME Wrote:

nevermind...I thought Oregon State got knocked out. That would have dropped another conference off the list. Just trying to figure out if the C-USA is the best conference in the country :shhh:

I'm still trying to figure out why you think baseball is a major sport and why going 3-3 in bowl games against the MAC and Sun Belt is some kind of major feat.

18-8-1.
06-20-2006 02:53 AM
SPECoog518 Offline
Banned

I Root For:

Not to continue this discussion... but...

HOW COULD YOUR BE AN AMERICAN AND NOT REALIZE THAT THE TOP 3 SPORTS ARE FOOTBALL, BASEBALL, AND BASKETBALL?

Ask any recruit (or prospective student) that question and that's the answer you'll receive.

Those that say differently tend to have bad baseball teams (or none at all). Don't think we don't notice..
06-20-2006 03:36 AM
Advertisement

L-yes Offline
Heisman

I Root For:

FastCat Wrote:

Well if you qualify major as a championship being played on a monday night on ESPN2 followed by a paintball broadcast I suppose you're right. Being merely bowl eligible became worthless when any team with a pulse was made eligible for the post season.
06-20-2006 08:01 AM
fsquid Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis, Queens (NC)

CrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesMemphis Hall of Fame

L-yes Wrote:
KNIGHTTIME Wrote:

It is kind of embarrasing, isn't it?
06-20-2006 08:13 AM
Sophandros Offline
Gulf Coast Elitist

I Root For: Tulane/Saints

New Orleans Bowl

L-yes Wrote:
FastCat Wrote:

Well if you qualify major as a championship being played on a monday night on ESPN2 followed by a paintball broadcast I suppose you're right. Being merely bowl eligible became worthless when any team with a pulse was made eligible for the post season.

The championship isn't until later, dude, so yes it's still major.

Regarding the "regionality" of college baseball, how do you explain the Big Ten and other midwestern schools having the pull to move the season? How do you explain their expenditure on the sport?
06-20-2006 08:19 AM
Unregistered

CrappiesNew Orleans Bowl

You can always tell when a team sucks in a sport and their fans are jealous of those that are good at it..... :shhh: :shhh:..what little creditability L-yes ever had..if he had any...went down the drain with his " I guarantee you the Big East gets the Liberty Bowl" statement....lol....pitiful...just pitiful....
06-20-2006 08:46 AM
Quote this message in a reply
FastCat Offline
All American

Baseball is a southern sport, so I'm not surprised that Louiseville fans aren't interested, or that their baseball team sucks.

But to show you an example of how popular baseball is just in Houston, check out the Houston Chronicle's online poll at the bottom left of their website.

The CWS is outdrawing the NBA Finals AND the World Cup Soccer.

Baseball matters in Texas and the rest of the south, so it IS a money maker.

We don't need no steenkin' NBA Finals!!
06-20-2006 10:21 AM
Advertisement

L-yes Offline
Heisman

I Root For:

Sophandros Wrote:
L-yes Wrote:
FastCat Wrote:

The championship isn't until later, dude, so yes it's still major.

Regarding the "regionality" of college baseball, how do you explain the Big Ten and other midwestern schools having the pull to move the season? How do you explain their expenditure on the sport?

As the ESPN article Maize posted noted college baseball is slowly rising and may someday reach the level of popularity that women's college basketball enjoys.

You guys get in your bubble and become irrational.

As for houston producing good ratings for college baseball I'd suggest its because the hometown school is playing in the series? I know its crazy to use logic in these conversations but what the hell.
06-20-2006 10:38 AM
FastCat Offline
All American

L-yes Wrote:As for houston producing good ratings for college baseball I'd suggest its because the hometown school is playing in the series? I know its crazy to use logic in these conversations but what the hell.

That is simpleton logic. It's no fluke that Rice is in the CWS, and folks aren't just watching it because Rice is playing there.

The reason Houston, the State of Texas, and the south in general, produces good baseball teams that make it to the CWS is because baseball matters more to the folks here.

So while you northerners are sitting on your thumbs waiting for something to do during June when no other collegiate sport is getting TV time, those teams in the CWS are getting air time and the conferences they belong to are getting mentioned.

I haven't heard the BE mentioned on TV in 3 months. That sucks.
06-20-2006 10:49 AM
texd Offline
Weirdly (but seductively) meaty

I Root For: acorns & such

The Parliament AwardsNew Orleans BowlCrappiesDonatorsThe Parliament Awards

A few things:

NCAA makes the most money off the following championship tournaments:
Men's Basketball
Baseball

Using that metric, football would not be a major sport, but of course it is... it's just that NCAA doesn't get the money, that goes to the BCS schools.

As far baseball being regional like Hockey and wrestling, let's consider division 1 participation:

Baseball -- 286 schools
Hockey -- 58 schools
Wrestling -- 87 schools

and for fun:
M Basketball -- 327 schools
W Basketball -- 325 schools
Football (I-A) -- 119 schools

There are also about 200 I-AA football schools.

As you can see College Baseball is up in the realm of FB, MBB, and WBB in terms of popularity among schools around the country. Hockey, now that's a regional sport.

RE Mich/MSU drawing 70k for a hockey game, I'm not impressed. Those guys could draw 30k for competitive basket weaving if it meant a chance to beat the other school, and the only reason it wouldn't draw more is that they're less likely to have a fistfight break out at basket weaving.
06-20-2006 11:16 AM
Maize Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Athletes First

texd Wrote:A few things:

NCAA makes the most money off the following championship tournaments:
Men's Basketball
Baseball

Using that metric, football would not be a major sport, but of course it is... it's just that NCAA doesn't get the money, that goes to the BCS schools.

As far baseball being regional like Hockey and wrestling, let's consider division 1 participation:

Baseball -- 286 schools
Hockey -- 58 schools
Wrestling -- 87 schools

and for fun:
M Basketball -- 327 schools
W Basketball -- 325 schools
Football (I-A) -- 119 schools

There are also about 200 I-AA football schools.

As you can see College Baseball is up in the realm of FB, MBB, and WBB in terms of popularity among schools around the country. Hockey, now that's a regional sport.

RE Mich/MSU drawing 70k for a hockey game, I'm not impressed. Those guys could draw 30k for competitive basket weaving if it meant a chance to beat the other school, and the only reason it wouldn't draw more is that they're less likely to have a fistfight break out at basket weaving.

Just enjoy your 1 rating while a UT-UConn Womens Game can receive a 3.8. Again Baseball is a minor sport. BTW I wonder how many schools have a Softball team as well.
06-20-2006 11:34 AM
Gray Avenger Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: MEMPHIS

[quote][quote="L-yes"]I'm still trying to figure out why you think baseball is a major sport and why going 3-3 in bowl games against the MAC and Sun Belt is some kind of major feat.[/quote]

To my way of thinking, the fact that C-USA has a school playing (and beating) BCS schools (Georgia Tech and Miami) before millions of sports fans across the US during prime time is a good thing. College baseball will continue to grow in popularity because it is exciting, as anyone who watched last night's game will tell you. I am a college football fan first and foremost, but the game of baseball did not gain the name "America's pastime" for nothing. My wife was even excited during the game last night - every pitch was important and the suspense was almost unbearable.
06-20-2006 12:28 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

fsquid Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis, Queens (NC)

CrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesMemphis Hall of Fame

millions?
06-20-2006 12:42 PM
L-yes Offline
Heisman

I Root For:

Gray Avenger Wrote:
Quote:[quote="L-yes"]I'm still trying to figure out why you think baseball is a major sport and why going 3-3 in bowl games against the MAC and Sun Belt is some kind of major feat.

To my way of thinking, the fact that C-USA has a school playing (and beating) BCS schools (Georgia Tech and Miami) before millions of sports fans across the US during prime time is a good thing. College baseball will continue to grow in popularity because it is exciting, as anyone who watched last night's game will tell you. I am a college football fan first and foremost, but the game of baseball did not gain the name "America's pastime" for nothing. My wife was even excited during the game last night - every pitch was important and the suspense was almost unbearable.

That's outstanding, good for you and your wife. I think my point and the point of others on this board including fsqiud and maize is that college baseball does not give warm tinglys to the masses and in fact repulses the vast majority of college sports fans. It in no way is a 'major sport' and has no business being mentioned in the same breath as the billion dollar golliaths of men's basketball and football. Ours is a really simple argument and its very cut and dry with gobs upon gobs of empirical evidence to back it up.

I find it laughable that we played in a league with Tulane and ECU regularly in the top 10 and it never was an argument. Now 3 years later Rice is in the New CUSA and baseball hysteria sweeps through all of our old conference bretheren. Baseball is suddenly a peer to football and basketball simply because a houston fan decrees it so and is seconded by rice and ecu fans.
06-20-2006 12:53 PM
UTEPDallas Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UTEP/Penn State

L-yes Wrote:
Gray Avenger Wrote:
Quote:[quote="L-yes"]I'm still trying to figure out why you think baseball is a major sport and why going 3-3 in bowl games against the MAC and Sun Belt is some kind of major feat.

That's outstanding, good for you and your wife. I think my point and the point of others on this board including fsqiud and maize is that college baseball does not give warm tinglys to the masses and in fact repulses the vast majority of college sports fans. It in no way is a 'major sport' and has no business being mentioned in the same breath as the billion dollar golliaths of men's basketball and football. Ours is a really simple argument and its very cut and dry with gobs upon gobs of empirical evidence to back it up.

I find it laughable that we played in a league with Tulane and ECU regularly in the top 10 and it never was an argument. Now 3 years later Rice is in the New CUSA and baseball hysteria sweeps through all of our old conference bretheren. Baseball is suddenly a peer to football and basketball simply because a houston fan decrees it so and is seconded by rice and ecu fans.

Speak for yourself. I live in Texas and people follow college baseball. I'm a former UCLA fan and I was born and raised in Southern Cal and guess what? People there follow college baseball too (I remember attending many UCLA and USC games when I was a kid). Baseball might not be big in the Big East but it is in the Pac-10 and Big XII.

Nobody is saying baseball is to the level of football and men's basketball (and it never will) but the sport is growing every year.
06-20-2006 12:59 PM
lauramac Offline

I Root For: ,
The Parliament AwardsCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesBlazerTalk AwardNew Orleans BowlCrappiesDonatorsThe Parliament Awards

L-yes Wrote:I find it laughable that we played in a league with Tulane and ECU regularly in the top 10 and it never was an argument. Now 3 years later Rice is in the New CUSA and baseball hysteria sweeps through all of our old conference bretheren.

I find it laughable that Louisville people can't leave the C-USA boards alone, particularly during the one week when Rice gets to shine.

Oh wait, it's NOT laughable -- it's annoying and unwelcome. Please go back to the Big East board.
06-20-2006 01:10 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.