Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Cowbells. . .
Bookmark and Share
cant_think_of_a_witty_nam Offline
All American

I Root For:

This is NOT an attempt to stir up trouble, just an observation with a bit of opinion sprinkled in for outside insight.

Yesterday I was in attendance of the UK debacle in Starkville. Before the first play from scrimmage, the refs whistled the play dead and issued a warning to fans about the use of artificial noisemakers. Of course this wasn't a popular move. However, instead of accepting the fact that further use of the bells would hurt MSU the ringing resumed a short time later. Actually the boo's coming from the crowd were louder than I had ever heard an MSU crowd get. I asked my friend, a State student, why it wasn't always that loud (even before the recent demise of Bulldog football). Anyways. . . as I said the ringing resumed. Later in the game, MSU was penalized while in a defensive goal-line situation for artificial noisemakers. Now let me be the first to say that at that time, there was almost no bell ringage to be heard. This time, instead of realizing the refs weren't playing the fans rang the bells as loud as possible. In my opinion this is stupid mob mentality. I understand there's tradition involved and everything but when fans' behavior harms the team's performance with penalties, you'd think fans would try to help. This doesn't seem to be the case. I never really understood why State had to use the bells in the first place. The majority of the rest of college football gets by on fan noise alone.
11-03-2002 01:03 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

whos_your_dawgy Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:

MSU doesn't need cowbells for fan noise. It just happens to be an 80+ year old tradition.

I do think those fans that were ringing cowbells should have put them away after that first warning. If we are ever in a position to win a game, and that penalty costs us, I'll be highly upset.
11-03-2002 06:23 PM
cant_think_of_a_witty_nam Offline
All American

I Root For:

cant_think_of_a_witty_name Wrote:I never really understood why State had to use the bells in the first place. The majority of the rest of college football gets by on fan noise alone.
That was poor wording which seemingly contradicting the opening disclaimer.

For MSU's sake I hope the majority of Bulldog fans come around to your train of thought on the matter. Because all the booing in the world isn't gonna stop the flags from coming, we all know that. A situation in which fans' obstinance costs MSU a victory would be a disgusting development. Hell, I'm not even a State fan and that would make me sick to my stomach.
11-03-2002 07:10 PM
Advertisement

whos_your_dawgy Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:

cant_think_of_a_witty_name Wrote:For MSU's sake I hope the majority of Bulldog fans come around to your train of thought on the matter.
I don't know if that will happen. I've learned through the years that I'm not a "typical Bulldog." I've only been an MSU fan a relatively short time (since I started school there in '96), so I don't have the feelings toward certain subjects as many Bulldogs. I don't cherish my cowbell (don't even have one). I don't hate Ole Miss. I love MSU, but I just haven't had those things drilled into my head since birth. I have a feeling the cowbell rule WILL impact a game in the future, because I just don't think all MSU fans will give up their cowbell.
11-03-2002 07:32 PM
NewspaperRebel Offline
Former Righter

I Root For: Ole Miss

I don't think they'll ever give up their cowbells as we had to give up our flag! I would suggest that they don't take them to away games because they may be relieved of them when they try to enter the stadium gates.

I think they'll always be at the home games in Starkville.
11-06-2002 08:18 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.