Side Show Joe Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: North Texas
RE: UTSA Students Vote Against Athletic Fee Hike
(02-21-2018 04:57 PM)JCMiner Wrote:  
(02-21-2018 04:18 PM)Side Show Joe Wrote:  
(02-21-2018 03:25 PM)JCMiner Wrote:  
(02-21-2018 09:45 AM)Side Show Joe Wrote:  
(02-20-2018 09:56 PM)JCMiner Wrote:  I don’t know how any CUSA team can be happy with the current configuration. And if your are content you have some very low aspirations.

North Texas spent a decade in the Sun Belt, so C-USA West is as about as good a collection of programs we could hope for in a G5 conference. But I agree, no program should be happy as long as they are relegated to the G5 level. Yes, being tied to some of the eastern programs isn't optimal, but there is no perfect situation in any G5 conference.

Our conference leadership is absolutely terrible, but even so C-USA is still a solid vehicle for all of our programs in the western division. I do not see a substantially better option in any of the other G5 conferences. If I am wrong, please explain.

I understand that for UNT this version of CUSA is a step above the Sun Belt you left behind. For us this version of CUSA is a step down from what we originally signed up. Aside from the millions we are no longer receiving in media fees it’s also almost impossible to find our teams on tv.

My question to you is are you really that happy here that you would turn down an invite from the AAC if they needed to backfill a spot?

I tend to think long term. As things sit right now, yes an invitation to the AAC would be nice. But that probably would not be the case, if they were looking to back fill. Who would they be replacing? At this point, probably one of their Florida programs and Houston. Well, in my opinion the AAC's western division without Houston (SMU, Tulsa, Memphis, Tulane, and Navy: 3 small private schools and an academy that sits on the eastern seaboard) doesn't look too much better then staying in C-USA West. Remember, 5 of the 7 teams in C-USA West finished with winning records. Memphis would be nice, but I really think C-USA West is a rapidly improving division. Plus, the AAC is due to take their pay cut soon. Add in the fact that any back filling would mean the AAC's more valuable programs are gone, and that pay cut only gets deeper.

I understand UTEP isn't in the same C-USA they joined, but I really don't see a situation within the G5 that will change that. If you do, I'd love to hear it.
All fair points. We have to wait and see what the new AAC media deal will be. I know they are expecting to get into the 3-5 million per team range but I like you also see them taking a paycut.

As far as UTEP goes our dream scenario would be to partner up with UTSA, RICE or UNT and get into the MW. Even without another Texas team just getting UTEP into the MW will strengthen CUSA and provide a more compact regional look to the conference.

I'm not a fan of conferences being too regional. I think it hurts a conference's visibility and relevance. I want UTEP to remain with the rest of the Texas programs. In my opinion, whatever we do, we need to have a conscious and do it together. I think the Texas teams are stronger together, and will only become stronger the longer we stay united.

I guess under your plan the Texas programs would be in the same division with New Mexico and Colorado State, Air Force, and Wyoming. All of which appear to be a similar distance from Texas as UAB.

I certainly think the MWC has better leadership then C-USA, and because of that I do not believe the MWC is interested in expanding to 16 teams. Plus, none of us know the future of the MWC's media contracts. Over the next few years these issues will be addressed and at that point movement might make sense for everyone involved.
02-21-2018 05:52 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: UTSA Students Vote Against Athletic Fee Hike - Side Show Joe - 02-21-2018 05:52 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.