Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Are the Germans losing their edge?
stinkfist Offline
nuts zongo's in the house

I Root For: Mustard Buzzards
RE: Are the Germans losing their edge?
(01-14-2018 03:20 PM)Fo Shizzle Wrote:  
(01-12-2018 05:10 PM)rath v2.0 Wrote:  The high end german stuff for years tended to be way over engineered with an eye towards initial performance but no reasonable heed paid to the fact that parts may someday actually need to be removed, replaced or maintained. You'd find yourself asking WTF the sadistic designers were thinking when having to pull the front half of an engine apart just to change a fan belt or spark plugs.

German machinery is made with superstructures twice as heavy as any made elsewhere. Germans understand that the carriage of a machine is crucial to dampening vibration and holding tolerances. Simply stated...German machinery is built to LAST and be accurate. I have nothing but admiration and praise for the engineering of the machinery that I work with every day....much of it over pushing 30 years of service.

Much of the criticism here is dealing with the auto industry. I can attest the machine tool industry in Germany is far superior to anywhere on the planet.

when in doubt, the old adage of "tossing more metal at it" comes to mind.....that's what my PE told me when I was in doubt during consultation....

what has become the problem is the cost of mat'l vs. design vs. competition vs. mat'l reduction mandates.....

my response to the upper tier heads was simply, "I can only pull out so much mat'l before the problem becomes a bigger problem....you guys need to cut cost in another area" the management dipshites have no clue what a "constant" demands in design....

that dipshite mandate came at the height of the china's overbuilding before we could react to raw mat'l cost increases.....what a nightmare that became....
01-14-2018 04:34 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Are the Germans losing their edge? - stinkfist - 01-14-2018 04:34 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.