College football doesn't fairly name a national champion
ken d Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: college sports
RE: College football doesn't fairly name a national champion
(01-05-2018 01:29 PM)Michael in Raleigh Wrote:  
(01-05-2018 01:23 PM)ken d Wrote:  
(01-05-2018 01:19 PM)Michael in Raleigh Wrote:  
(01-05-2018 01:04 PM)ken d Wrote:  The title of this thread is "College football doesn't fairly name a national champion". There is an extraneous, and very misleading, word in that sentence - "fairly".

Including that modifier suggests that college football actually names a national champion. It does not, at least at the FBS level, and it never has. Personally, I find that stance on the part of the NCAA to be philosophically very satisfying. I am quite content to have a season conclude without a definitive pronouncement that some "we" is (are?) Number 1!

We could all pick some arbitrary tournament format and claim that the winner is the national champion. But then, many fans would misinterpret that to mean that the winner is somehow the "best" team. Those would usually be fans of the winning team, while fans of other good teams would continue to make the case that theirs was actually the better team. I don't see how that is much different than what we have now.

I believe the need on the part of Americans (and truth be told, other countries as well) that there only be one winner, and everybody else be losers, is a serious character flaw that does no one any good. Keep things just the way they are.

Why is that always the answer? "If you don't like it, leave." Nobody wants to leave the FBS. They just want improvement.

You say that as if I said or implied it. Maybe you meant to quote some other post that actually did say it.

Ken D,

My bad. My response was intended for Bearcat Jerry's comment. Good thing this is just a message board and not a work memo. 03-2thumbsup

No worries. It's not like I haven't made similar goofs. 04-cheers
01-05-2018 06:31 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: College football doesn't fairly name a national champion - ken d - 01-05-2018 06:31 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.