Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

CFP selection committee defends leaving out undefeated UCF
johnbragg Offline
Five Minute Google Expert

I Root For: St Johns
RE: CFP selection committee defends leaving out undefeated UCF
(01-04-2018 09:27 AM)quo vadis Wrote:  WTF? You are missing MY point. I wasn't addressing those who are debating the technical details of the current playoff model. I was addressing those UCF fans - and there are many - who are saying UCF is justified in claiming a "national championship" as a result of being excluded from the playoffs and then beating Auburn in the Sugar Bowl.

That is a ridiculous idea, and that was what i was addressing.

Was UCF the best team in college football this year? Probably not. But you never know unless you play the games.

Is UCF's 2017 National Championship Banner any LESS legitimate than 10-20 NC's claimed by various schools, often decades after the fact after someone runs a statistical analysis of the game scores from that year, or for years where they lost a bowl game? Absolutely not.

Quote:As for the CFP rankings, as i said, I thought they ranked UCF a little low. Should have been around #9. Wasn't the only example, I thought Notre Dame was ranked low, and Auburn a little too high (they were also ranked ahead of several two-loss Power teams, including PAC champ USC). But why keep yammering about these minor quibbles?

Because, in the world of college football, if you don't ***** and moan you don't get anywhere.

Quote:Who cares if UCF should have been #9 and Auburn #11 as they probably should have been? They play in the Peach Bowl anyway, and no there is no 'precedent' set that matters in the future.

IT matters a lot if the playoffs go to 8 someday. If UCF's ranking is legitimate, they wouldn't "belong" in an 8 team field. UCF's 2017 season is going to be used as an argument by everyone who supports converting the Access Bowl spot into a playoff autobid.

Quote:And there's no silliness, my analogy is spot-on: It doesn't matter what the Rams record was going in to the playoff game, they could have been 9-7 or 16-0, what matters is the Rams were 'robbed' of a spot in the Final 4, just like UCF claims it was robbed of a spot in the Final 4 (they weren't, but that's the claim).

But even if you are robbed of a spot in the Final 4 doesn't mean you can claim that you are champions, as if you not only got in but then won it, which you didn't.

Except that in college football schools make silly-ass National Championship claims all the time. So if Alabama claims 3-4 tinsel "national championships"
on top of their 12-13 legitimate ones, and another dozen schools claim National Championships that aren't recognized outside their stadiums, why should UCF accept a lesser status?
01-04-2018 09:53 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: CFP selection committee defends leaving out undefeated UCF - johnbragg - 01-04-2018 09:53 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.