Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Greenberg: UConn Should Be in Big East
Attackcoog Online

I Root For: Houston
RE: Greenberg: UConn Should Be in Big East
(12-08-2017 12:44 PM)johnbragg Wrote:  
(12-08-2017 12:26 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  
(12-08-2017 11:51 AM)johnbragg Wrote:  
(12-08-2017 11:12 AM)Attackcoog Wrote:  Honestly, Im not convinced standing pat at 11 isnt a better move. Its not like the Big10 didnt do it for almost 20 years.

You can't have 11 teams and a CCG. CCG needs either divisions, or a full round robin. The only possible way to work it would be one division having more conference games than the other, and even then I'm not sure.

AAC would either fold when UConn called their bluff, or reach out to UMass or NMSU, or Liberty as an affiliate, or Charlotte or ODU or who knows as a full member.

Actually you can. The exact language of the new recently adopted CCG rule (that allowed CCG's with fewer than 12 teams) now addresses that. While defining the divisional CCG option, it says something to the effect that the conference must play a round robin with two divisions that are as "equal" in size as "possible". Obviously, this new altered language (that didnt exist in the original CCG rule) is there to address odd numbered leagues. Its a pain in the butt for scheduling--but as I said, the Big10 did it for 20 years. Cutting loose a low end football squad means football money gets split fewer ways and SOS improves--so there is an incentive for trhe AAC to go to 11 in the event of a UConn jump to the BE.

Personally, unless the AAC next TV deal is below 3 million a team I dont think there will be enough financial incentive for UConn to throw their football program under a bus. If the new deal is over 4 million, UConn actually loses money with the move. I dont think UConn is going anywhere.

It's not a rules problem, it's a math problem. If the East Division has 5 teams, they play a round robin 4 games each. They each need 4 cross-division games, for a total of 16 games. The West Division has 6 teams each, they play a round robin 5 games each, need 3 games each, for a total of 18 cross-division games. So either 2 East division teams play 9 conference games, or 2 West division teams play 7 games.

The MAC didn't have this problem when they had 13 teams because they just ignored the round-robin part of the rule. Maybe the AAC could do that, I don't know. It's not like anyone would run screaming to the NCAA that the AAC was "cheating"--what's the Latin opposite of "qui bono?" Who's harmed? Really the only harm is to the schools who would be trying to fill UConn's spot, which means that CUSA would support the AAC's waiver--they're the likeliest to get poached.

Thats what Im saying. The language indicating the 2 divisions must be as "equal" as possible pretty much IS the waiver. Its kinda like saying--do your best to comply.
12-08-2017 02:00 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Greenberg: UConn Should Be in Big East - Attackcoog - 12-08-2017 02:00 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.