UConnHusky Offline
All American

I Root For: UConn/Celts/Red Sox/Pats
RE: Greenberg: UConn Should Be in Big East
(12-08-2017 09:40 AM)johnbragg Wrote:  
(12-08-2017 09:26 AM)Huskypride Wrote:  
(12-08-2017 09:19 AM)stever20 Wrote:  
(12-08-2017 09:15 AM)Huskypride Wrote:  
(12-07-2017 03:38 PM)johnbragg Wrote:  Sure, but they've left the nest. It would be like the college grad moving back in with the parents--they're welcome to stay for as long as they want, but it's not what UConn really wants, and we understand that.

(And yes, it makes no sense for UConn institutionally. UConn basketball can be a national power from the AAC. They don't have a viable football option outside the AAC).

We will be looked at like the zaggs or wsu if we are really successful in aac from here on out. We need to get into a power conference for people to take us seriously...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Um, I think people take Gonzaga pretty damn seriously.

There are plenty of people that don't respect them cause of the conference they are in.... im just worried that we will be viewed as a above average mid-major program not a true basketball power....no matter how good we are in aac.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Then you'd better hang in there until you get your Big Ten or ACC invitation. People will still talk crap about Villanova and the Big East being irrelevant Real Soon Now™, so don't worry about it.

I am all for UConn waiting for a Big Ten or ACC invite. If that doesn't happen in 2023-2024, then I am all for joining a stripped down Big 12 if more realignment happens at that time and they lose four teams. If that doesn't happen, then I am perfectly happy remaining in the AAC.

I have no interest in joining the Big East. UConn is a large land grant public university and is the state's flagship university. We should be with other large public universities with the same academic research mission and structural makeup (like the Big Ten or some ACC and Big 12 schools) who also play football. While the AAC isn't our preferred conference, a lot of the schools in that league also have a lot in common with us (although proximity to more conference mates could be better). The Big East, by contrast, is a bunch of smaller private Catholic schools. Other than shared history with some of the members, the institutions have very little in common with UConn. As for brands, I really only miss Villanova and Georgetown. St. John's hasn't really been good since the 90's and PC and Seton Hall were pretty terrible in the old Big East. It is possible that they look good now partially since they no longer have to play schools like UConn, Syracuse, Pitt, WVU, Notre Dame, Louisville, and Cincinnati. As for the newbies in that league (Creighton, Xavier, Butler), they are former mid-majors. Let's not pretend that they are suddenly any "more" major than former mid-major schools like Wichita State, SMU, Temple, Memphis, or Houston just because they hitched their wagons to a league containing Villanova and Georgetown. The AAC schools I listed are now in a league containing brands UConn and Cincinnati. So, it is fairly comparable. Anyway, all of the Big East and AAC former mid-major schools that I just listed are solid programs and have the right to be considered major at this point, so my comments above aren't a knock on anyone.

All UConn needs is A) for the bottom half of the AAC to get better (the Big East by comparison is currently solid top to bottom) and B) to hire a new coach (Kevin Ollie can't coach offense...at all).

EDIT: I will again note that I am all for the AAC over the Big East if the dollars are there. If they aren't, you follow the dollars (even if it means Big East for Olympic sports and football as an independent). Dropping down from FBS to FCS is a nonstarter.
(This post was last modified: 12-08-2017 11:37 AM by UConnHusky.)
12-08-2017 11:08 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Greenberg: UConn Should Be in Big East - UConnHusky - 12-08-2017 11:08 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.