Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Will the BIG12 eventually dissolve
BePcr07 Offline
All American

I Root For: Boise St & Zags
RE: Will the BIG12 eventually dissolve
(11-17-2017 01:21 PM)Underdog Wrote:  I combined posts 1 and 2 into this response:

1) I disagree with your opinion that the AAC will get “dismantled regardless of what happens to WV… [and] It's more desirable for the Big 12 to expand east than west.” If WV is not left behind in the B12 when it implodes, the remaining B12 schools would have to be absolutely asinine to expand eastward into the footprints of the ACC, B1G, and SEC with the unrealistic expectation of competing for viewers in those three markets. In fact, if WV is left behind, the remaining B12 schools would be better off cutting ties with it and absorbing most of the MWC. They would control certain markets like New Mexico and Nevada while only competing with the PAC 12 for most of their remaining markets.

2) I will expound more on point #1 to illustrate a realistic realignment scenario which would dissolve the MWC: UT, OU, TT, and OSU go to the PAC 12. The ACC decides to take WV; this leaves Baylor, ISU, KU, KSU, and TCU. Except for TCU, the aforementioned B12 schools were going to absorb the Big East in 2011 after possibly losing UT, OU, TT, and OSU:

“The sources said that if Texas, Oklahoma, Texas Tech and Oklahoma State were to leave the Big 12 and the five remaining schools do not have an opportunity to join the ACC, SEC or Big Ten, the Big 12 would move to absorb remaining Big East schools -- not the other way around.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/sto...ources-say

The only thing that prevented this from happening was UT refusing to give up control of the LHN to the PAC 12:

“But it appears the ‘deal’ fell through before either president could take any sort of action, as Scott and Texas reportedly could not come to an agreement on how to pursue the Longhorn Network.”

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com...c-12-snub/

My point: In 2011, an almost decimated B12 still had the power to absorb/raid the Big East—which was considered a power conference lower in status to the B12. Consequently, if the B12 implodes in the future and WV escapes, it’s a strong possibility that the same schools (along with TCU) will look to absorb and dissolve the entire MWC. If BYU decides to join them, I think Hawaii and San Jose St are left out of the new B16….

San Jose St seems likely to go the way of Idaho and, eventually, New Mexico St. Hawaii, on the other hand, has a great opportunity to be an independent. PAC schools and MWC could schedule home-home series' with them. Late season series actually might not be as difficult for Hawaii as other schools.

I wouldn't mind that XVI (obviously). I just wonder why the remaining XII schools would feel like joining with MWC schools over AAC schools. Why not the AAC + TCU/Baylor/Kansas/Kansas St/Iowa St + Army (fb)?
11-17-2017 01:57 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Will the BIG12 eventually dissolve - BePcr07 - 11-17-2017 01:57 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.