Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

The fans have won the fight...
Tom in Lazybrook Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: So Alabama, GWU
RE: The fans have won the fight...
(10-11-2017 09:27 AM)Lord Stanley Wrote:  
(10-11-2017 09:18 AM)Tom in Lazybrook Wrote:  Their business model is primarily valued based upon the payments of liberals, many of whom don't care about football. Its largely liberal people in liberal cities that must decide whether to issue new bonds for new stadium construction, fund taxpayer giveaways for the owners, and who are subject to 'must take' cable contracts that require them to pay the NFL 300 bucks a year to watch HGTV.

Even when liberal cities don't want it (like Minneapolis) the liberal city council passes it anyway because they are under tremendous pressure to do so.

My councilmember's pro vote on funding the 1 billion dollar US Bank Stadium ended our personal friendship and in no small part entered into her decision to not re-run for office.

(And that public funding and taxes is one of many reasons I moved out of the city. Though I am still in the same county, and it's a county wide tax. They get you even 22 miles out from downtown....)

Quote:Suburban municipalities aren't likely to have the scope to fund what the cities have been doing for the NFL.

I don't think you are right here. There are a fair number of suburban NFL stadiums.

Lets review the 'suburban' stadiums

1) Washington (Landover MD) - 20 year old stadium financed by a VERY LIBERAL and very large county (larger population than the entities financing many NFL 'urban' stadiums)

2) NE Patriots (Foxborough) - 15 year old stadium. Financed largely by the STATE of Mass (which could turn problematic when renewal comes up)

3) 49ers (Santa Clara) - A one off based upon massive levels of largely liberal wealth looking for a place to go.

4) Bills (Orchard Park) - 44 year old, run down stadium.

5) Cardinals (Glendale) - Financed by the entire Maricopa County taxpayers. Vote in favor was 52-48. Not stable going forward. Its urban if 3 million people got to vote on it.

6) Inglewood California - Privately built
7) Irving Texas - Privately built
8) Lambeau Field - Co-op owned

---

I see just a few stadiums that really could be considered 'supported outside of liberal voters'. The Cowboys, the Packers, and the two LA teams. Sure, there are other teams that aren't liberal, but Buffalo and Jacksonville are barely viable markets.

By the way, that Maricopa County vote on the Cardinals Stadium should give the NFL pause...it was very close.

---
(This post was last modified: 10-11-2017 09:47 AM by Tom in Lazybrook.)
10-11-2017 09:44 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
The fans have won the fight... - olliebaba - 10-10-2017, 11:39 AM
The fans have won the fight... - ark30inf - 10-10-2017, 11:55 AM
RE: The fans have won the fight... - Claw - 10-10-2017, 05:44 PM
RE: The fans have won the fight... - Claw - 10-10-2017, 07:09 PM
RE: The fans have won the fight... - Claw - 10-10-2017, 07:19 PM
RE: The fans have won the fight... - Claw - 10-10-2017, 07:55 PM
RE: The fans have won the fight... - Tom in Lazybrook - 10-11-2017 09:44 AM
RE: The fans have won the fight... - Claw - 10-11-2017, 03:44 PM
The fans have won the fight... - ark30inf - 10-12-2017, 11:53 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.