Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Another Realignment Thread: Why? Just Because
Bookmark and Share
AllTideUp Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Alabama
RE: Another Realignment Thread: Why? Just Because
(09-10-2017 11:53 PM)JRsec Wrote:  If it were just about network strategies then that could work. But Michigan likes playing Minnesota and Illinois. Ohio State likes playing Indiana. And for the oodles of Big 10 alums that is what they want. They've had a history together for over 100 years for the most part. The same is true for the core of the SEC, which of course has ties to many of the core ACC schools through our shared Southern Conference roots.

I think it is far more likely that ESPN regains a larger portion of the Big 10 contract and a increases its successful holdings in the SEC by utilizing the ACC, than it is that the B1G would be parsed out. Geography and money married to the better brands (SEC & B1G) would be would be a much more likely enticement for those grafted into the ACC for less than 20 years than it would be to break apart a solid family with a shared history a century old.

Odds are that the SEC takes a Texa-homa type deal and moves to 18 and that N.D. goes all in and Cincinnati, Connecticut, West Virginia round them out to 18. That way ESPN gets all they really could want of the remaining brands, the ACC gets the added markets and for the price of 36 P schools ESPN holds the majority stake in the 75% of the national brands and the champions of the three major sports.

If that happens then maybe the PAC and B1G find ways to do the same or something similar.

As long as we get some version of Texahoma then I'm ok. And I wouldn't mind it if we end up at 20 with schools like Kansas or West Virginia.

Earlier, y'all were proposing an interesting idea...limiting the number of conference games so schools could create big match-ups. I think it's interesting because if you're going to make room for plenty of big games in non-conference then it almost doesn't matter how large your conference gets.

Theoretically you could go to 4 divisions and create semi-finals for the division winners. You could also go old schools and allow schools to decide which other non-division games they play within conference. You could preserve a lot of rivalries that way and just not count the results towards the division race.

If you had 4 divisions of 5 providing 4 games then keep 4 games for playing non-division foes. That leaves 4 games for playing quality non-conference games.

I don't know, but it's an interesting thought.
09-11-2017 08:57 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Another Realignment Thread: Why? Just Because - AllTideUp - 09-11-2017 08:57 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.