Open TigerLinks

CA 8/25/17 Article on Butch Pierre
Bookmark and Share
Stammers Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis
RE: CA 8/25/17 Article on Butch Pierre
(09-04-2017 01:03 AM)memtiger1987 Wrote:  
(09-04-2017 12:35 AM)snowtiger Wrote:  Maybe so. It was pretty bad, because I came here when almost every thread morphed into a bash Pastner thread. I was a defender of the faith then. lol.
Pastner was always saying or doing something goofy too, so he was easy pickins.

But we still weren't ever picked to finish 8th, 9th or Last

That was very sobering.

Yeah, we were picked to do better. Then we didn't. Remember preseason rankings?

I'm not a bash Pastner guy at all. I think he did a pretty decent job early on, but could never get over the hump. His last two years were lousy and his best asset (recruiting) really went downhill. Just think if he didn't pay Keelon's blackmail.

He just stayed too long. He ran off the local kids. Word got out from former players to avoid Memphis. Attendance dropped off big time.

He needed a change and so did Memphis. I think GT is getting a more experienced coach and he can start up recruiting in a new school and the best conference in basketball. I think he'll do well at GT. I hope he does, I've got to say I genuinely liked the guy. I really wanted him to succeed here, just as I'd like to see Tubby succeed here.

I get it with Tubby. He isn't what we were hoping for. But those guys declined the job here. People here were talking up guys like Andy Kennedy, Bruce Pearl, and Steve Forbes. I'd take Tubby over any of them. I'll say he came into to a difficult situation. He had to hire an assistant he didn't want to field a team. I believe he thought he came up with a compromise, giving him a lesser job but giving him a nice pay raise. Well, it didn't work. I think they quit on the team late in the season, and I don't care how good they are, I'd kick them to the curb in a heartbeat. What was going to be the next reason for things to go bad with Keelon? When you are relying on a serial extorter to provide 40% of your offense, well I guess you open yourself up to that kind of thing.

So, I get the mass departures. After the Lawson's left, I really didn't care much if the other guys stayed or moved on. Markel found other opportunities, and I would have done the same thing if I were him. He isn't a guy that's going to dominate many games, so I don't think he would have been able to carry this team to more victories. So, in the end, it gives more playing time to the new guys. I could care less about the rest of them, none looked like they were going to be standout players.

I'm still thinking better than .500. A team that will play more physical and work hard. We need a few of the new guys to be good D1 players or 2018 will be another down year. If that's the case, I'd say Tubby will be gone after year 3.

Quote:His last two years were lousy.

His second to last season was better than Tubby last season, will be better than Tubby this season, and Tubby has had multiple seasons where he was inferior to a year that you call "lousy."

There must be two of you using the same ID, because you seem to be arguing with each other. One of you keeps posting stuff in agreement with me that makes your pro Tubby position look foolish.
09-04-2017 12:30 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: CA 8/25/17 Article on Butch Pierre - Stammers - 09-04-2017 12:30 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.