Bookmark and Share
MinerInWisconsin Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UTEP, of course
RE: 2017 CUSA Football Predictions
(08-11-2017 04:09 PM)Volkmar Wrote:  
(08-11-2017 04:01 PM)MinerInWisconsin Wrote:  
(08-11-2017 03:54 PM)Volkmar Wrote:  
Quote:I don't know if I would call it "struggle" but more of "sleeping". We know both of those games shouldn't have been that close. But a win is a win against Rice and we play them at home this year and they haven't improved. UTEP should have been a win if it wasn't for Jones (their whole offense) which isn't a threat anymore nor do they have anyone at his level. So I would take UNT over the three given we play away, they are slightly improved from last year, they will be rested, and UTSA may be licking their wounds coming off of a battle with USM.

Fair point on UTEP not having their stud RB anymore. Their offense pretty much depended on him, and he's the reason we had such trouble with their TE in the 4th quarter of our game last year, as they kept beating us down the middle over and over again with their TE getting open coming off blocks. We were too focused on stopping Jones.

And I agree on UNT being the bigger worry of the three, but I really think it's more than just a matter of us "sleeping", and feel you're probably not giving the other staff enough credit for their game plan, given that extra week to prepare. And since they're in-state, division rivals, it doesn't seem to me like we have any business sleeping on those games in the first place, which would be a bad reflection on our coaching staff, if true.

UTSA should be good this year but will probably lose to all 3 of the other Texas teams in the conference. You'll still go bowling though.

Unless you think we'll get a win against LA Tech, that would mean we'll go 4-4 in conference, which is worse than last year's 5-3. We'd also likely finish 6-6 overall, unless you think we'll beat Houston or Baylor (which wouldn't make sense if you don't think we'll even win one of our games against Rice, UNT, or UTEP). That would make our record no better than last year. Everyone's entitled to their opinion, but barring injuries, we'll be better than last year for sure, so I can't agree with your analysis.

I don't blame you for disagreeing with me. All the preseason prognosticators are saying UTEP will be bad. The mindset of FB fans will follow along with that.

But UTEP's O-line is tagged as the best in C-USA by some, including Phil Steele, for what that's worth. Also UTEP's QB situation is better going into this season than it was last season and Metz improved the latter part of last season. We have two very good TE transfers that will replace Plinke. RB is the big question but coach Kugler has stated that with more speed at WR this year, he is looking to have a more balanced offense. All of that has to come together for the Miners to show improvement on offense, which they sorely need. The defense has solid experience and additional talent with a couple of transfers and should be much better this year.

So I predict that UTSA beats Houston to start the season. That'll be considered an upset but I think it will happen. You will have a big crowd at home with high expectations. I think UTSA will have the bye week disadvantage with the 3 Texas schools and all will be close enough in talent to knock off the Runners. I'm predicting a 7-5 or 8-4 season for UTSA depending on the Rice game. JMO.
08-12-2017 09:39 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: 2017 CUSA Football Predictions - MinerInWisconsin - 08-12-2017 09:39 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.