Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Air Force Coach Troy Calhoun Floats G5 Playoff Idea
micahandme Offline
2nd String

I Root For: PSU
RE: Air Force Coach Troy Calhoun Floats G5 Playoff Idea
(07-17-2017 12:34 AM)DawgNBama Wrote:  
(07-15-2017 09:43 PM)msm96wolf Wrote:  No matter what expansion happens, the power schools and CFP will say top 8 teams not conference champions. Thus ensuring they don't have to take a G5 champ and keeping the money. Just the reality of the situation.

Even as a G5 fan, I'm afraid you're right unless the G5 can pull off what Scott Cowen and the other G5 presidents pulled off to get the G5 into BCS bowls. That would definitely be the equalizer.

Had a brainstorm while contemplating the college football season vs the college basketball season. NCAA men's basketball has like a preseason NIT, and a lot of tournaments and conference challenge tournaments. If the G5 could do a football equivalent of this, while it would not necessarily guarantee the G5 a spot of at the CFP table, it would make G5 appearances a lot more common, IMO. Basically this, take Calhoun's idea, and instead of doing it at the end of the year, do it at the beginning. I'm sure some wouldn't go for it for various reasons, but I think at the same time, some teams would go for it, and it would bolster strength of schedule for those G5 challengers.

Not a bad idea, but it doesn't feasibly fit into the CFB scheduling model. If G5's want to get aggressive, they need to keep scheduling P5 teams as "away only" paycheck games. Houston--for example--with Oklahoma and Louisville on the schedule last year. Boise State has been shooting for this for the past decade. They need these SOS benchmarks regularly. They can't schedule FCS schools or non-conference G5 games. They need ALL P5 OOC games (as much as possible).

If they really want to be considered "equal"--as I hear all of you small school guys around clambering for--than they need to schedule UP...way UP. No excuses for beating 1 P5 school and then running the table against your weaker G5 counterparts and expecting a spot at the table (looking at you Western Michigan/Marshall/etc.)
07-18-2017 03:45 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Air Force Coach Troy Calhoun Floats G5 Playoff Idea - micahandme - 07-18-2017 03:45 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.