Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Alternate History and Future College Sports Realignment Scenarios
DavidSt Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ATU, P7
RE: Alternate History College Sports Realignment Scenarios
(04-20-2018 08:04 PM)Nerdlinger Wrote:  
(04-20-2018 02:40 PM)DavidSt Wrote:  Big 10 was thinking of going to 22 teams.

Was it. Was it really.

Quote:Still more light was shed on the situation in late May 2013, when comments made by Ohio State president Gordon Gee in a December 2012 talk to the university's athletic council were made public. Media attention focused on comments that were interpreted as slurs against Catholics and Notre Dame, plus digs at former Wisconsin football coach Bret Bielema, the Southeastern Conference, the University of Cincinnati, and Kentucky's two major state universities of Kentucky and Louisville.[18] The furor over Gee's comments soon led him to retire effective July 1, 2013.[19] However, his comments also included his takes on current and possible future Big Ten realignment:[18]

"I think we’re moving precipitously toward about three or four superconferences of about 16 to 20 teams. And the possibility of them bolting from the NCAA is not unlikely."
The addition of Maryland and Rutgers "gives us 40 to 50 million more viewers, makes the BTN [Big Ten Network] worth more money than God. I did say that. It’s a very powerful instrument for us."
"Very candidly, I think we made a mistake. Because [we] thought about adding Missouri and Kansas at the time. There was not a great deal of enthusiasm about that. I think we should have done that at the time. So we would have had Nebraska, Missouri, Kansas and then moved into that other area. I think, by the way, that that can still happen."
"If the ACC continues to struggle, and Florida State goes off to the SEC or something like that, and Clemson moves in a different direction, all of a sudden Virginia, Duke, and North Carolina — which are all very similar institutions to the Big Ten, there is a real possibility that we may end up having that kind of T which goes south. And I could see them joining us. And I could see them having a real interest in joining us."

Gordon Gee opened his mouth back then saying it was a mistake that they did not grabbed Kansas and Missouri back then. Talking about grabbing the ACC schools. 16 to 20 team conference. Delany made the comment about 22 teams in a Super conference of 3 or 4. This could get the top G5 schools into the Supers.
04-21-2018 03:37 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Alternate History College Sports Realignment Scenarios - DavidSt - 04-21-2018 03:37 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 3 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.