Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Alternate History and Future College Sports Realignment Scenarios
Nerdlinger Offline
Realignment Enthusiast

I Root For: Realignment!
RE: Alternate History College Sports Realignment Scenarios
(11-21-2017 04:12 PM)Underdog Wrote:  We already discussed in another thread about the B12 absorbing the Big East. However, the Big East initially considered merging with the B12. The following is former WV AD Luck’s pan:

[Image: Screen_Shot_2014-06-11_at_1.45.11_PM.0.png]

"Luck's plan, which also had the support of Louisville athletic director Tom Jurich, was also to add UCF for a 12-team Big East divided into two divisions: West: Baylor, Kansas, Kansas State, Iowa State, TCU and Louisville; East: UConn, Cincinnati, Rutgers, West Virginia, South Florida and UCF."

https://www.sbnation.com/college-footbal...ealignment

I think the B12 would have likely absorbed the remaining Big East football schools because the C7 wouldn’t have given up “The Big East” name. Pitt and Cuse still go to the ACC. The interesting question is: Does the ACC take Louisville or WV to replace Maryland? I think WV was perceived as the better football program at the time, but Louisville had a lot to offer. Nonetheless, I think the ACC would’ve taken WV.

The Rebuilt B12 (expands to 14):

West: *Air Force, Baylor, Houston, KU, KSU, ISU, TCU

East: *Navy, Louisville, Temple, UConn, UC, UCF, USF

*The B12 wanted Air Force back then, and the Big East wanted Navy (Army and Air Force).

I don’t think BYU is invited because the conference wouldn’t want a similar LHN problem….

Interesting article! Thanks for linking. I suppose it matters whether it's the Big 12 absorbing the Big East football schools or the other way around because of the exit fees for either conference. I'm not sure how it would go down from a legal perspective, but ultimately you'd have a football-sponsoring conference called the Big 12 and a non-football conference called the Big East.

The Big 12 may have wanted Air Force, but I think the ex-Big East members would have vetoed that due to the travel distance. Navy would have been more acceptable, as it's a bigger score for the conference and is already within the expanded footprint.

I'm skeptical that they go for Temple. In our timeline, the Big East only resorted to bringing back the Owls because WV's departure left them with only 7 football schools for 2012 and Temple was available to fill the vacancy. The Big East had actually already invited Houston, SMU, UCF, and Memphis to join for 2013 and Navy for 2015. In any case, for the alternate Big 12, expanding beyond 12 members wouldn't benefit them much due to the CFP payout system.

Also, even if WV is available for the ACC to replace UMD, I still think they go with Louisville. Both are not up to the ACC's academic standards, but Louisville brings a bigger metro, and WV's low admissions standards scare other schools' athletic recruiters.
(This post was last modified: 11-21-2017 06:57 PM by Nerdlinger.)
11-21-2017 06:56 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Alternate History College Sports Realignment Scenarios - Nerdlinger - 11-21-2017 06:56 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 9 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.