Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Rice players who we predict will get drafted
MemOwl Offline
All American

I Root For: Owls
RE: Rice players who we predict will get drafted
Hard to believe the bonus money would be a major force in shaping the decision if that bonus is somewhere in low 6 figures.

The choice really becomes do you want to jump into minor league baseball or stay in school?

One of the things that bothers me a bit is that we have players who spend 4 years in the program but don't earn their degrees until later. If one isn't going to get a degree in four years, then I really don't see any reason to come back for a 4th year of college baseball. you might as well get paid to play if you are going to play.

Maybe I'm missing something, but I think the best case for urging a player to come back for senior year would be

1. Your pro career is likely to be short and peak out at low level minors
2. If you have your degree in hand, you are well equipped to move rapidly to next chapter of your life

A case study for this might be Jeremy Rathjen. A fine student who likely would have been admitted to Rice straight up, Jeremy was a poor AA player at the age of 25. He is now a Wharton MBA student and a summer intern at Goldman Sachs at the age of 27 and has great opportunities ahead of him.

If Jeremy had left Rice without a diploma, he would not be where he is today.
06-10-2017 07:47 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Rice players who we predict will get drafted - MemOwl - 06-10-2017 07:47 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.