nomad2u2001 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ECU
RE: OT: Officially The Official Soccer Thread
(06-19-2018 12:06 PM)Tiger1983 Wrote:  
(06-19-2018 11:36 AM)nomad2u2001 Wrote:  
(06-19-2018 09:52 AM)Tiger1983 Wrote:  
(06-18-2018 03:33 PM)VA49er Wrote:  
(06-18-2018 03:29 PM)Tiger1983 Wrote:  It is a recurring theme on the few occasions soccer is discussed on sports radio in town, although they do not talk much about soccer because most of their listeners do not care. And in this very thread the “ignorant” notion was employed.

Nevertheless, I was disturbed when I saw America did not earn a WC spot. I hate seeing my country fail in anything - especially when Iceland (!!) can do it.

You keep mentioning Iceland. Iceland is a good team and just tied Argentina. Heck, if the US did make it to the WC I'd bet on Iceland to beat us.

Iceland’s population is less than Wichita, KS. If they can make it to the WC, then the USA (a weathy, diverse, and 3rd most populated country in the world) should make it too. The USA, despite proclamations we are turning into a soccer loving nation, is actually regressing on the international stage. Our best athletes and best coaching minds go into other sports. The main root cause is most Americans do not care about soccer. I do not understand the difficulty in acknowledging it.

Despite lots of resources and a great history Memphis hasn't made it to the NCAA tournament since 2014 but St. Mary's has made it at large. You would think that Memphis with all its money (top 15 budget-wise), all its fans, and all its resources would be able to get a bid in a 68-team tournament. St. Mary's is a small school, not a lot of fans, bad facilities.

OR maybe, just maybe the field is competitive enough that even the elite programs aren't shoo-ins. Maybe the field is competitive enough that--if you have aging stars, a bad game at the wrong time, and a coaching issue--anyone can miss out.

Tiger fans and administration knew it was an unacceptable situation so we pushed out one coach and fired another. Similarly, it unacceptable for the USA not to qualify for the WC. I do not like soccer, but detest seeing our country humiliated.

And soccer has done the same thing. Fired two coaches and have a new USSF president. It's not like nothing is being done.

Just like Mexico had to do last cycle and just like Italy and The Netherlands are doing now, there's soul searching and there are resources being spent.

The next go round I expect to see us in and doing well. We'll have several players on the team who will be hardened vets in the top domestic comps in the world at age 24-ish.
06-19-2018 12:20 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: OT: Officially The Official Soccer Thread - nomad2u2001 - 06-19-2018 12:20 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 5 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.