chiefsfan Offline
No Seriously, they let me be a mod

I Root For: ASU
RE: OT: Officially The Official Soccer Thread
(06-18-2018 02:41 PM)Huskypride Wrote:  
(06-18-2018 02:37 PM)TU4ever Wrote:  
(06-18-2018 02:26 PM)Def Berkkat Wrote:  
(06-18-2018 01:59 PM)chiefsfan Wrote:  
(06-18-2018 01:20 PM)Def Berkkat Wrote:  There you go again.

Ok, first of all I'm not here to come in a rain on everyone's soccer parade. I joined in when the subject turned why the USA is not good, which was deemed as a general lack of interest. I agreed.

I am on the side of the disinterested American.

I have two kids that played soccer. I've watched more soccer than I cared to. My younger son was even involved in the Crew Jr. program and he quit because it was just too boring to him. And... I didn't discourage him either. If it was my decision he'd have never started.

Anyway, don't make the assumption that Americans are all just soccer ignorant. I know soccer as well as the next guy.

To play 90 minutes and not score IS boring. To run up and down the field and never even get a shot IS boring. Some guy sticks his leg out and everyone's going the other way. Woo hoo.

Off sides is stupid. OOOOH... you've got to give the defense a chances to get back. No fair.

PK's are stupid. No one has a chance in hades of scoring until one little slip up in the box. Step on somebody's shoe lace and suddenly they're presented with a GIMME. The goalie... excuse me... the keeper has about a 1 in 10 chance at stopping it. Then it's only because he guesses right.

Don't even get me started on the flopping. Football guys that fake injury to slow down fast paced offenses do what? That's right, they get BOOOOOOED.

Just because someone doesn't like it does not make them an ignoramus. It's OK if America doesn't join the soccer party.

That's all. Enjoy your games.

Some points:

1. Just because your kid played the sport doesn't give you really any idea of how Soccer truly works. Half of what comes through these Youth Systems within American Soccer is a joke to begin with. We develop nothing like other countries, and are absolutely horrible at identifying talented players. We've turned soccer into a silly Suburban game where you can only play if you have money, and your kids learn next to nothing in terms of actual skills. They just kick the ball around and go home.

2. If you understood the game, You'd figure out that a 0-0 match is probably the exact opposite of boring. It's just not the American way that sports work, so a lot of people thumb their noses up at it. I find most American Sports incredibly boring because everyone forgot how to play defense.

3. Offsides is illegal in American Football as well. It's not about discouraging offense, its about encouraging defense. Without it, you get the joke that is basketball currently where players can just not bother to play defense in exchange for a quick basket on the other end.

4. Soccer fans boo fake injuries just as much as American fans. But just like every sport on earth, the system allows it, as there's really no way on earth to prove an injury is "fake" Especially given what we know now about the danger of concussions. In fact, if anything Soccer is considerably worse than American Football at forcing players to sit when they are injured.

5. PK's are indeed a gimme. So are extra points in football. And No one has ever been successful at getting rid of them.

You can't win if you don't score. You can't score if you don't take a shot.

Teams spend most of their time kicking it around the perimeter looking for an angle that will NEVER come. Why? Because there's 10 guys standing between you and the goal. And you can't get creative and work around the wall of defenders blocking your way... because that's OFF SIDES.

I say get the ball down the field and kick it at the net. You've got a heck of a lot better chance of kicking in a deflection because the defenders can't get into position for them. But nobody ever does that. They just kick it around the perimeter until it gets knocked away and they do the same thing at the other end. YAY.

The only other time you have a shot at scoring is knocking in a corner kick. Many times its also off of a deflection.

No one hardly EVER gets a clean shot off an offensive pattern. And no, it's not beautiful defense... it's 10 guys standing there blocking the way.

...And the football extra point is earned. You have to score to get one. It's not GIVEN to you by the ref.

Meanwhile a 14-0 NFL game or a 7-3 SEC game is considered the most exciting game ever.

No need to change the rules for 100 million Americans who still won't care. They have 7 billion other fans and close to 100 million Americans who think it's fine.
14-0 zero is not exciting especially if you are a UConn fan and scoring is a huge struggle for you team. more like stressfull. But a 7-3 game is exciting imo

I am one of the few on this board that can claim they sat through a college football game that finished 0-0 in regulation. I also have sat through a 0-0 in Soccer.

Only one of those games was exciting and it wasn't the football game. The thing about football, is that the rules are catered to the offensive player, so for a game to go scoreless, things must go terribly, terribly wrong. That game was essentially 3 hours of 3 and outs. It was one of the most boring, unimaginative sporting events I have ever sat through.

An American who claims that they hate a low scoring game is most likely someone who is used to the American scoring systems when the only way you get a low scoring game is if both teams literally screw up... a lot.
06-18-2018 09:15 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: OT: Officially The Official Soccer Thread - chiefsfan - 06-18-2018 09:15 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 3 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.