Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

OT: Officially The Official Soccer Thread
VA49er Offline
Legend

I Root For: Charlotte
RE: OT: Officially The Official Soccer Thread
(06-18-2018 01:20 PM)Def Berkkat Wrote:  
(06-18-2018 12:41 PM)Nevadanatural Wrote:  I see the score argument (low scoring and ties) all the time as a reason not to watch soccer but it’s all about knowing the game. There is lots to appreciate and enjoy even in a nil-nil game. The same goes for a sport like baseball, it’s just that a lot of people would rather turn their nose up at this foreign game and complain instead of learning the nuances.

There you go again.

Ok, first of all I'm not here to come in a rain on everyone's soccer parade. I joined in when the subject turned why the USA is not good, which was deemed as a general lack of interest. I agreed.

I am on the side of the disinterested American.

I have two kids that played soccer. I've watched more soccer than I cared to. My younger son was even involved in the Crew Jr. program and he quit because it was just too boring to him. And... I didn't discourage him either. If it was my decision he'd have never started.

Anyway, don't make the assumption that Americans are all just soccer ignorant. I know soccer as well as the next guy.

To play 90 minutes and not score IS boring. To run up and down the field and never even get a shot IS boring. Some guy sticks his leg out and everyone's going the other way. Woo hoo.

Off sides is stupid. OOOOH... you've got to give the defense a chances to get back. No fair.

PK's are stupid. No one has a chance in hades of scoring until one little slip up in the box. Step on somebody's shoe lace and suddenly they're presented with a GIMME. The goalie... excuse me... the keeper has about a 1 in 10 chance at stopping it. Then it's only because he guesses right.

Don't even get me started on the flopping. Football guys that fake injury to slow down fast paced offenses do what? That's right, they get BOOOOOOED.

Just because someone doesn't like it does not make them an ignoramus. It's OK if America doesn't join the soccer party.

That's all. Enjoy your games.

I didn't understand the offsides rule at first, but now I do and realize it's a good rule. Otherwise teams would just cherry pick all match.

The best player in the world, IMO, just missed a PK, so they aren't a given by any stretch. I can't imagine a soccer match going on in the normal course of play until a team scored. This isn't football or baseball. These guys run continuously for 90 minutes then in extra time. Match has to be decided somehow.

I don't like the flopping either; however, players get carded for that now so that's step in the right direction, IMO. BTW, pretty sure the dude flopping in soccer gets booed as well.

Look, I get why folks don't like the sport, I used to be one of those folks. No worries and to each his own. However, America has already joined the soccer party. Hence the reason lots of folks are pissed we aren't playing in Russia right now and the outcry to fix the domestic system.
06-18-2018 02:26 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: OT: Officially The Official Soccer Thread - VA49er - 06-18-2018 02:26 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 3 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.