Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Largest school with no intercollegiate sports.
Tom in Lazybrook Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: So Alabama, GWU
RE: Largest school with no intercollegiate sports.
(03-14-2017 11:00 AM)DavidSt Wrote:  
(03-14-2017 10:49 AM)Captain Bearcat Wrote:  
(03-11-2017 07:34 PM)nzmorange Wrote:  
(03-11-2017 06:38 PM)lew240z Wrote:  
(03-11-2017 06:25 PM)nzmorange Wrote:  NYU is huge, and the guy working the book store wasn't sure if they fielded team when I visited back in the day.

I'm not sure if that was true - is true, but it might be.

NYU dropped football in1953 and basketball in 1971. The remaining sports with the exception of fencing were moved from D1 to D3 in 1981. Basketball was resumed as a D3 sport in 1983.

Here is an interesting historic fact:

Quote:In the 1940 season, before a football game between NYU and Missouri in Columbia, Missouri, 2,000 NYU students protested against the "gentlemen's agreement" to exclude African-American athletes (at the University of Missouri's request). At the time, it was the largest protest ever against this practice.

Good on them.

I generally like NYU, but now I like them more than I did.

Since 1986, NYU has been in the University Athletic Association. Otherwise known as the Egghead Eight (formerly known as the Nerdy Nine before Johns Hopkins left in 2001)

UAA Members
Brandeis
Carnegie Mellon
Case Western
Chicago
Emory
NYU
Rochester
Washington U (St. Louis)

Only 4 schools play football, and as a result all 4 schools have an odd arrangement where they are technically in 2 football conferences. Case and Carnegie play in the UAA and the President's Athletic Conference. Chicago and WashU play in the UAA and the Midwest Conference.

All 8 schools play basketball. NYU finished last this year (2-12, 7-18 overall)

The conference has some competitive athletes. A friend of mine had a track scholarship from Wake Forest but chose Case for academic reasons. Case also had a QB that sniffed around at the NFL combine in 2010 hoping to get drafted.

Would be interesting to see all 8 go back to D1. They were considered major schools like in the Big 10 back in the old days.

I went to grad school at one of these schools. They have plenty of money to do so. Here are the endowments

Wash U in St Louis - 6.9 Billion
Emory - 6.7 Billion
U of Chicago - 6.6 Billion
NYU - 3.5 Billion
U of Rochester - 2.1 Billion
Case Western - 1.7 Billion
Carnegie Mellon - 1.7 Billion
Brandeis - 800 Million

---

I think that the bigger issue is that the schools have no issue with visibilty without D1. Schools lose money on D1 because either their alumni or their potential students demand it. Or they need the greater visibility of D1 to get their schools PR.
(This post was last modified: 03-14-2017 07:54 PM by Tom in Lazybrook.)
03-14-2017 07:43 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Largest school with no intercollegiate sports. - Tom in Lazybrook - 03-14-2017 07:43 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.