Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Joe Pa's unrealized eastern all sports conference
Dr. Isaly von Yinzer Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Common Sense
RE: Joe Pa's unrealized eastern all sports conference
(03-05-2017 04:16 PM)Fighting Muskie Wrote:  This thread was supposed to about the potential for an Eastern all sports league that was never realized not yet another diatribe about how message posters think the Sandusky scandal should have been handled.

Wait a second. The thread was about why Paterno's proposed Eastern all sports conference never came to fruition and I explained that it was about trust issues between Penn State and everyone else who had options: Pittsburgh, Maryland, Boston College and Syracuse.

I then demonstrated in great detail why those trust issues existed to provide context to the discussion.

The next question then becomes if it's just about one person, why didn't they just move past that one person to do what was best for the whole? I'm sorry but that then demands an explanation for just how powerful that one person was. You are literally talking about the single most powerful figure in the history of intercollegiate athletics and to just blow that off is to ignore the meat of the entire discussion.

As I've said multiple times during this thread, I don't think one person was responsible for that league failing to materialize. I think a lot of people screwed up along the way. However, if you're going to ask me which one figure was most responsible for it failing to materialize, I would point to the most powerful person involved in those discussions. He had a lot more power than everyone else involved and knew it but ultimately overplayed his hand.

That would all be just fine and dandy – after all, it really did work out pretty well for everyone in the end. It did not work out as well as it could have/should have but it certainly could've ended much worse for everyone – and would have had he gotten his way.

However, to then turn around and try to place the blame on everyone else for literally the rest of his life was beyond the pale. Basically, his position was that he wanted to create an all sports conference but the rest of the schools were too stupid to see his vision of the future. What he really meant was that they were too independent-minded to capitulate to his self-serving demands. To characterize it any other way is not merely disingenuous, it is flat out dishonest.
(This post was last modified: 03-06-2017 09:11 PM by Dr. Isaly von Yinzer.)
03-06-2017 09:03 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Joe Pa's unrealized eastern all sports conference - Dr. Isaly von Yinzer - 03-06-2017 09:03 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.