Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

2017 Football Recruiting (Thread II)
Bookmark and Share
Chibronco Offline
2nd String

I Root For:
RE: 2017 Football Recruiting (Thread II)
(01-23-2017 05:16 PM)EagleSam Wrote:  Northern Illinois won the MAC West 6 years in a row, from 2010 to 2015, with three conference championships and one BCS bowl appearance in that span. Here were their "recruiting rankings" in the MAC in those years, per 247 Sports (best MAC recruiting site, in my opinion):

2010: 8th
2011: 6th
2012: 9th
2013: 3rd
2014: 4th
2015: 3rd

So a team that never had the best, or even 2nd best, recruiting class dominated the conference in that same span. Are they an outlier? Sure. But they are also proof that development is more important than offers and stars. We've recruited plenty of kids (especially in the English era) that had tons of offers who never panned out. Remember Quincy Jones? Jaleel Canty? Juwan Lewis? Hell, Lewis had offers from basically the entire conference and couldn't see the field because guys like Bronson Hill, Darius Jackson, and Ryan Brumfield (all with no other D1 offers, mind you) were better. This is why I stopped following recruiting. We have no clue which of these kids is going to be a player or not.

Next season will be a good test for Creighton. It will be team made up largely of his recruits. I believe only Roback, Spearman, and Barnes are key players returning that were English recruits. I'm most curious to see the offensive line, which is going from 4/5 starters being English guys (heavily under-recruited guys too, mind you) to it being entirely Creighton's. Our skill positions will be led by Dieuly Aristilde, Shaq Vann, Ian Eriksen, Sergio Bailey, and Johnny Niupalau...all of whom had one collective D1 offer before coming here. Let's see what our coaches can do with these recruits before writing off the class as "not good enough".

Its not just development. Sometimes its gaming the recruiting system. NIU was great because they got Lynch who no recruiting sites liked as a QB, but would have been a highly regarded player as TE/LB. He wanted to be a QB. Also sometimes they don't review a player because they don't think they will qualify. That's why Corey Davis and Antonio Brown were 2 star nobodies.
01-24-2017 09:35 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: 2017 Football Recruiting (Thread II) - Chibronco - 01-24-2017 09:35 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.