Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

ODU Brand/Image Improvement Thread
GhentFan Offline
1st String

I Root For: ODU YALE MN NDSU
RE: ODU Brand/Image Improvement Thread
(08-08-2018 10:17 AM)12thmonarch Wrote:  
(08-07-2018 09:31 PM)GhentFan Wrote:  
(08-07-2018 02:12 PM)ODUDrunkard13 Wrote:  More good news.

"Boats, of the self-driving variety, are coming soon to a waterway near you thanks to ODU Professor Yiannis Papelis."
https://www.13newsnow.com/mobile/article...-579008922

I'm glad this made the news.
I met with Dr. Papelis during and after the 2018 Senior Design Expo. My group designed and built an ROV for our senior design project. A part of the competition that Dr. Papelis' team has to try and tackle is to have an ROV complete a series of tasks and return to the mother ship. Met with him a few times and shared with him all of my research. Sorta wish I was sticking around for grad school, I would have loved to help out in that part of this project.

Sounds like an interesting project. We should really try and step up our game in the technology and innovation arena and become at least Virginia's most advanced tech school. We have ways to go before we can even compare ourselves to Rice etc but we have start at some point.

You would have really enjoyed the senior design expo this past spring then. My group was approached by several Defense companies to join them to work for their ROV type of stuff. Instead I'm working on a start up around my project, on hold right now as I need a job to pay the bills as I work. Turns out the gate keeping is strong and is going to take longer than I expected to gather info.

Some other projects at the expo that I thought were cool:

ODU and two other universities teamed up and made a number of satellites.

A team of CET students designed an expansion for the library. The project was far beyond what you would expect for ET students. It looks like one of them taught himself quite a bit of architecture panning. IIRC every floor had blue prints drawn out as well as 3D models for the interior of each floor as well as the exterior of the building. Sorry no link for this one.

I think a few projects that were at the expo, and some that didn't quite make the cut are also in a market research phase to bring their projects to market. One of my favorites from the MET department not at the expo was a guy that made a solar powered truck topper that provided enough power to run a skill saw or a TV should you want to go off grid and build a cabin.

Dean Adams has been amazing. Next years expo should be much better, as this year was the first attempt. If you have ideas to help accelerate ODU's progress reach out to the college of engineering. Some really cool stuff is going on there now.
(This post was last modified: 08-08-2018 10:05 PM by GhentFan.)
08-08-2018 10:00 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
ODU Brand/Image Improvement Thread - odu09 - 07-03-2018, 09:24 AM
RE: ODU Brand/Image Improvement Thread - GhentFan - 08-08-2018 10:00 PM
ODU Brand/Image Improvement Thread - bit_9 - 05-24-2019, 04:21 PM
ODU Brand/Image Improvement Thread - bit_9 - 05-26-2019, 04:52 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.