Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

OT: Game of Thrones Discussion - Potential Spoilers Warning
Bookmark and Share
Artifice Offline
1st String

I Root For: Beer
RE: OT: Game of Thrones Discussion - Potential Spoilers Warning
(08-28-2017 12:56 PM)Tiger1983 Wrote:  Is there anything in the book stating that Maggie's prophesy is inerrant? Maybe she is wrong (like the Red Witch) or maybe she just wants to maliciously hurt Cersei.

No. And I misspelled Maggy. Told ya, the memory, it's going...

Anyway, all but one thing Maggy told Cersei has come true. Here is a quick synopsis:

http://www.westeros.org/Citadel/Propheci...s_Prophecy

Quote:"When will I wed the prince [note - she means Rhaegar]?" she asked.
"Never. You will wed the king."

She thought she was to be married to Rhaegar (he was married to Elia Martell instead, for political reasons, though Cersei apparently had a crush on Rhaegar). Instead, she did wed the king, Robert.

Quote:... "I will be queen, though?" asked the younger her.

"Aye." Malice gleamed in Maggys yellow eyes. "Queen you shall be . . . until there comes another, younger and more beautiful, to cast you down and take all that you hold dear."

I bolded those two words. The young queen was either Margaery Tyrell or Danaerys, depending on your opinion.

Quote:... "Will the king and I have children?" she asked.
"Oh, aye. Six-and-ten for him, and three for you."

Maggy the Frog has predicted the total number of Robert's bastard children, and Cersei's children as well. On a tangent, the theory that Cersei is pregnant loses a little of its spring; we know the three children she has. If she is pregnant, she'll not carry the child to term, at least.

Quote:The old woman was not done with her, however. "Gold shall be their crowns and gold their shrouds," she said. "And when your tears have drowned you, the valonqar shall wrap his hands about your pale white throat and choke the life from you."

This talks about how all three of her kids would die before her (after taking the crown). The highlighted section is the part I am discussing. Valonqar is Valyrian for "little brother". Cersei spent her life thinking it was Tyrion, who also killed her mother, and as the other things Maggy said come true, her belief that Tyrion would harm her became stronger and stronger; especially when he killed Tywin.

HOWEVER, Jaime was born "holding onto Cersei's foot" - just a moment after her, making him technically her younger twin brother. Like a lot of other people, I think Cersei has misinterpreted this prophecy and missed that it is Jaime that will kill her.

I liked this part though:

Quote:"I get three questions too," her friend insisted. And when Cersei tugged upon her arm, she wriggled free and turned back to the crone. "Will I marry Jaime?" she blurted out.
You stupid girl, the queen thought, angry even now. Jaime does not even know you are alive. Back then her brother lived only for swords and dogs and horses . . . and for her, his twin.
.... "Not Jaime, nor any other man," said Maggy. "Worms will have your maidenhead. Your death is here tonight, little one. Can you smell her breath? She is very close."

Her friend is Melara Heatherspoon, and she is depicted in that scene on the show too. There is no proof that Cersei killed her, but it was highly suggested in the books. Melara "fell" down a well that night. Speculation is that Cersei pushed her because she 1) wanted Jaime for herself; and 2) didn't want Melera blabbling about what Maggy told them. Very Cersei like reasons for killing someone....
(This post was last modified: 08-28-2017 02:27 PM by Artifice.)
08-28-2017 02:17 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: OT: Game of Thrones Discussion - Potential Spoilers Warning - Artifice - 08-28-2017 02:17 PM
RE: OT: Game of Thrones - GoApps70 - 03-30-2013, 12:30 AM
RE: OT: Game of Thrones - RonBurgundy - 03-30-2013, 12:34 AM
RE: OT: Game of Thrones - Billy Free - 03-30-2013, 01:04 AM
RE: OT: Game of Thrones - Mgt2j - 03-30-2013, 01:21 AM
RE: OT: Game of Thrones - klg316 - 03-30-2013, 01:28 AM
RE: OT: Game of Thrones - 49RFootballNow - 03-30-2013, 01:39 AM
RE: OT: Game of Thrones - bladhmadh - 03-30-2013, 06:06 AM
RE: OT: Game of Thrones - 58-56 - 03-30-2013, 07:54 AM
RE: OT: Game of Thrones - Funslinger - 03-30-2013, 08:49 AM
RE: OT: Game of Thrones - NothingButKnight - 03-30-2013, 09:46 AM
RE: OT: Game of Thrones - USM@FTL - 03-30-2013, 09:49 AM
RE: OT: Game of Thrones - PurpleReigns - 03-30-2013, 10:07 AM
RE: OT: Game of Thrones - mikeinsec127 - 03-31-2013, 12:51 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.