Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Introduce yourself here: Who are you? What do you do? What is your background?
Hambone10 Offline
Hooter

I Root For: My Kids

New Orleans BowlDonatorsThe Parliament Awards
RE: Introduce yourself here: Who are you? What do you do? What is your background?
Military brat... lived in most of the us and 2 countries... have traveled a fair amount to the rest of NA and much but not all of Europe for both business and pleasure.

Degrees in business/finance, computer sci and political sci

Spent 25 years offering financial advice to banks, insurance companies, trusts and wealthy individuals. 5 years in more general business consulting and the last 3 consulting for/managing healthcare.

2 kids in college... sole support for them. One in the arts, the other in math/pre-med.

Very involved in the arts.

As a military brat, 'religion' was far more generic Christianity... I was baptized Episcopalian, raised presbyterian, married a baptist so became a methodist. I've seen miracles work in my children so I have no patience for those who try to claim that what I've experienced isn't real, but I don't expect for them to have seen it or experienced it, especially not as I have... so I don't care how anyone reaches the point of being a decent person, so long as they get there. Arguing over pedantic details about translations of translations of what someone meant thousands of years ago is silly. Everyone gets the essential gist because most of what those things say, almost everyone in the world, including the non-religious, believe

I don't believe in legislating morality... and by that I mean forcing anyone to accept anyone else's choices... so long as it doesn't unfairly impact others. I think far to much money, time and energy is wasted arguing over whether the chicken or egg came first... The power to make others accept things that I agree with is the same power to make me accept things with which I do not... so that power should be reserved to only that which is vital... and 90% of the stuff we argue about isn't vital... not even close.

I consider myself an old-school, laissez-faire, local control Republican, but that isn't what most Republicans are these days... so I identify with libertarians, but not all of them or their ideas.

I am against public funding of abortions and pro-gay rights because
a) it's none of anyone's business what consenting people do together
b) it's none of anyone's responsibility what others consent to do together

I think there is plenty of money around arguing about abortion to fully fund abortions for everyone who needs one and can't afford one, and if there isn't, then lots of people need to check their 'responsibility meters'.

The minute you invite 'the people' into your sex life, or your finances or anything else for that matter, you lose control over that aspect of your life. Your right to something ceases to be unfettered when you require my help. If I choose to help you, fine. If the government makes me help you, I get a say.

I just don't see that these things are all that hard.
(This post was last modified: 10-30-2014 06:17 PM by Hambone10.)
10-30-2014 06:12 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Introduce yourself here: Who are you? What do you do? What is your background? - Hambone10 - 10-30-2014 06:12 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.