Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Closed 
I think ECU needs to win 10 games next year
Bookmark and Share
HowardD11 Offline
1st String

I Root For: ECU & VCU

Keep this in mind. If we were to enter into a BCS conference, our talent would tremendously improve. We're the only school in North Carolina that truley puts football first, and the one thing holding us back right now talent wise is our lack of the one thing a BCS school can offer: The Hope of a National Championship. Look at South Florida, and how much their team has improved talent wise since joining the Big East.
12-24-2006 11:31 AM
Find all posts by this user
L-yes Offline
Heisman

I Root For:

I've yet to see any reason ECU would be a better choice than Memphis to be added to the Big East other than maybe the timezone, which in reality isn't a big deal anyway. ECU proved nothing yesterday. They proved that they are still a mediocre program and were a Grothe injuriy away from being completely destroyed on national television if they weren't embarassed already.

The arguments here for their inclusion are solely based on football prowess and that they have a decent traveling fan base. Football: ain't that great. Fan Base: nothing spectacular and certainly not incomprable to Memphis.

Many on this board react too quickly to one seasons results. According to the board seems as if any team out there can put together a 5 game winning streak in a given year and suddenly become the top choice for the Big East.

I'm not going to rehash the Memphis arguments again but they are so obviously superior to Eastern Carolina that its almost laughable.
12-24-2006 11:39 AM
L-yes Offline
Heisman

I Root For:

HowardD11 Wrote:Keep this in mind. If we were to enter into a BCS conference, our talent would tremendously improve. We're the only school in North Carolina that truley puts football first, and the one thing holding us back right now talent wise is our lack of the one thing a BCS school can offer: The Hope of a National Championship. Look at South Florida, and how much their team has improved talent wise since joining the Big East.

USF was good before it entered CUSA. Look at their record vs. ECU for example. They sit on a goldmine of talent. ECU sits in carolina with 4 prexisting BCS schools.
12-24-2006 11:40 AM
panite Offline
All American

I Root For:

L-yes Wrote:I've yet to see any reason ECU would be a better choice than Memphis to be added to the Big East other than maybe the timezone, which in reality isn't a big deal anyway. ECU proved nothing yesterday. They proved that they are still a mediocre program and were a Grothe injuriy away from being completely destroyed on national television if they weren't embarassed already.

The arguments here for their inclusion are solely based on football prowess and that they have a decent traveling fan base. Football: ain't that great. Fan Base: nothing spectacular and certainly not incomprable to Memphis.

Many on this board react too quickly to one seasons results. According to the board seems as if any team out there can put together a 5 game winning streak in a given year and suddenly become the top choice for the Big East.

I'm not going to rehash the Memphis arguments again but they are so obviously superior to Eastern Carolina that its almost laughable.

Very good points and I agree many if not all of them. However if the BE stays in tact for the foreseeable future and they look at FB only ECU might sneak past them because they are willing to enter for FB only while Memphis wants an all sports membership. Time will tell after the next BCS go around and we get closer to the anointed year of the split - 2010.
07-coffee3
12-24-2006 12:17 PM
BullsFanatic Offline
1st String

I Root For: USF

Keep in mind that this is only Skip Holtz's second year at ECU...once he gets his recruits in there, I think ECU will be pretty d*** good. Look for them to make a run at the CUSA Title next year.
12-24-2006 12:22 PM
tigersharktwo
Unregistered

CrappiesNew Orleans Bowl

MrHankyTheChristmasPoo Wrote:Guys, I think Eboneezer Shark is about to enter this thread :shhh:
HEY MR BIG JERK the ecu stuff is pure crap with no basis in reality.
12-24-2006 12:23 PM
KnightLight Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UCF

PusherT Wrote:
Jackson1011 Wrote:I have always like the idea of ECU for a football only....not sure they can win 10 games next yr but they have to be the favorite to win CUSA east with all the players they have coming back

-- I thought it was interesting and suprising how Gary Thorne went on and on about how ECU wants in the Big East...basically he said that the ECU administration and Coach Holtz saw this game has an opportunity to show the BE office how good the Pirate football program is

Jackson
If they truly want to be in the Big East a 10 win season shouldn't be so tough considering UofL/TCU success in that league. If ECU can't get a 10 win season in CUSA with a Liberty bowl victory what can they expect in a "BCS" league like Big East where every game is alot tougher

Don't think a 10 win season is necessary.

Heck...USF was just a .500 team in its 2 years in CUSA...but with BCS help in recruiting, they are doing pretty well now in the Big East.

Off-the-field intagibles (like TV Market, Exposure in targeted recruiting area, facilities, etc..) will probably be just as important to the Big East (or any conference) in regards to possible expansion as on the field results.
12-24-2006 12:35 PM
SO#1 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Connecticut

I hate the ideal of sticking around in the BE beyond 2010 and continue to subsidizing ND and BB schools. I hope the ideal of splitting doesn
12-24-2006 12:42 PM
Murph1 Offline
1st String

I Root For: UConn

Just out of curiosity, how goes the goal to improve ECU hoops?
12-24-2006 12:43 PM
HowardD11 Offline
1st String

I Root For: ECU & VCU

Murph1 Wrote:Just out of curiosity, how goes the goal to improve ECU hoops?

Yeah, Let's not talk about that one.
12-24-2006 01:00 PM
Thread Closed 

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2014 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.