RE: Delany puts knife into idea of Uconn to the Big Ten
(06-21-2014 09:16 AM)john01992 Wrote:  
(06-21-2014 09:02 AM)SMUmustangs Wrote:  
(06-20-2014 08:44 PM)john01992 Wrote:  
(06-20-2014 07:44 PM)SMUmustangs Wrote:  
(06-20-2014 05:45 PM)john01992 Wrote:  hell yes
notre dame

highly likely
syracuse- being a past AAU, historic rival of a number of b10 schools, and having solid academics, solid athletics/markets, and being in the most sensible state to expand into next, makes them the #2 most likely school IMO to break the aau barrier

has a chance but smaller
boston college- essentially a poor mans version of SU in this situation

^^^^^all three of these schools are a case of solid academics but non research orientated

oklahoma- decent football/market, but unlike all the other schools on this list, they have terrible academics to reaffirm why they are not AAU

no chance
UCONN
Virginia tech

there are far too many reasons to list why these schools will never get an invite and AAU is just one of many.

Actually President David Boren is pushing Oklahoma academics hard to attain AAU status. OU now has more merit scholars than any public University.

Also, the State of Oklahoma maybe a only a decent TV market, but OU is a National Brand that likely turns on more TV sets than most schools, including Big Ten teams and schools with much larger TV markets.

Having said that, I do not think they are a Big10 candidate.

all I am saying is that the other schools have decent academics + no AAU

OU has bad academics + no AAU which makes it a much bigger sticking point than it would be for other schools.

if OU had academics comparable to texas, they would be in the pac14 with OSU. OU simply does not have the academic/football combo to make conferences jump at any opportunity to get them despite having some damn good football.

You are going overboard on OU academics. They are not great, but they are not terrible as you proclaim. And OU and OSU would not be in the PAC14 without Texas regardless of how good their academics might be.

here are ARWU rankings for the bottom B10 schools

national/international
Indiana 47/85
MSU 50/92
Iowa 53/101
nebraska 86/201
oklahoma 109/301

yeah i don't think that i am overstating the academic issue IMO.

if OU had texas level academics they would without a doubt be in the pac14.

UT is so attractive because they are really strong in markets/athletics/academics. OU is strong in just 2 of those categories and if they improved the third they would have enough appeal to make any conference take a chance on them, especially the pac12 in that scenario.

I think you are wrong. I do not believe the PAC would expand with OU without Texas, even if they had super academics.

Boren has OU on the fast track academically. Compared to all schools in the nation they are not that bad. They have more merit scholars than any other public institution, which is not to shabby.
(This post was last modified: 06-21-2014 11:33 AM by SMUmustangs.)
06-21-2014 11:30 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Delany puts knife into idea of Uconn to the Big Ten - SMUmustangs - 06-21-2014 11:30 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.