Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Are you folks worried?
BucSinceTheSixties Away
Special Teams

I Root For: Bucs
RE: Are you folks worried?
(04-04-2014 06:51 AM)Bruin2002 Wrote:  
(04-03-2014 11:35 PM)BucSinceTheSixties Wrote:  
(04-03-2014 10:04 AM)Northside Bruin Wrote:  I am not worried.
The point is pretty moot now since it appears UT has secured Martin's stay: http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nca...l/7181731/

But, just for conversation's sake, why wouldn't you be worried? UT thought highly enough about Byrd to have an on-UT-campus interview with him in 2011:

http://www.govolsxtra.com/news/2011/mar/...rested-ut/

If Cuonzo would have left, do you think UT officials would view Rick Byrd as being a worse coach and less desirable candidate than he was just three short years ago? Do you think he's right now considered to be a worse potential UT coach among his fellow UT graduates (and Vol fans in general) then he was in 2011? Is it possible that a Knoxville-raised, UT graduate, and Ray Mears protege who has proven he can win on the highest of the D-1 level (see North Carolina) is incapable of successfully leading an SEC team? What has happened in the past three years that Byrd wouldn't want to interview (again) for the head coach job at his Alma-mater in his home town?

With regards to recruiting, are the shooting abilities of guys like Justin Hare, Ian Clark, and JJ Mann too inadequate to play at any higher level than the mid-major level? (I think the NBA's Utah Jazz has already answered that question). I don't know if you guys remember this or not, but when ETSU first entered the A-Sun, Belmont had a big 6'10" post player who transferred from UT to Belmont (Boomer Hernden). If Byrd can attract players like that FROM UT, is it not possible for him to attract them TO UT as well?

Oh, I think it is possible that Byrd would be considered and I think he could be successful on a higher level. However, I think that the AD needed to have a slam dunk hire if Martin left and Pearl was out of the picture. There is a divide with the Vol fans that I know on their opinion of Byrd's potential success on the high D1 level.

Also, one difference from 3 years ago is that Byrd is 3 years closer to retirement. I have heard Byrd mention that one reason he doesn't consider many higher level positions is that he would not be able to recruit the kinds of kids he likes to coach. Just last year he talked about continuing to recruit the kinds of players that got the program to where it is now.

He is getting much better players, but they are still in the mold of players he prefers. Ian Clark was amazing, but Byrd nabbed him as Clark hid under the Memphis HS radar of more big name players and he knew it. When he signed Clark, his first comments were that Clark would take the program to another level. He just signed Mack Mercer who is a 3 star (Clark was a 2 star) 6-9 post player that is quite athletic. So yes, Byrd can recruit high quality players, but does he really want to go for the kinds of players that he feels he needs to be successful at UT this close to his retirement? It's a good question.

I think a few years ago, Buccaneerlover mentioned on your board that he didn't think Byrd would be successful at UT. I wonder what his thoughts are on this.

Look at this and tell me you're still not worried: http://www.govolsxtra.com/news/2014/apr/...p-in-hunt/

(I'm worried for you!)
04-15-2014 09:54 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Re: Are you folks worried? - Bruin2002 - 04-01-2014, 08:14 AM
RE: Are you folks worried? - Bruin2002 - 04-04-2014, 06:51 AM
RE: Are you folks worried? - BucSinceTheSixties - 04-15-2014 09:54 PM
RE: Are you folks worried? - hoosbruin - 04-16-2014, 07:15 AM
RE: Are you folks worried? - BruinsFan31 - 04-16-2014, 09:59 AM
RE: Are you folks worried? - BruinsFan31 - 04-18-2014, 01:07 AM
RE: Are you folks worried? - BruinsFan31 - 04-19-2014, 10:08 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.