Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Poll: Should DC Tom Matukewicz Be Fired?
Yes
No
[Show Results]

Should The D Coordinator Be Fired?
Bookmark and Share
DetroitRocket Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
Vote
(This post was last modified: 11-29-2013 01:43 PM by DetroitRocket.)
11-29-2013 01:39 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

MidnightBlueGold Offline
Heisman

I Root For: TOL-EDO
RE: Should The D Coordinator Be Fired?
One thing I know, whoever coaches the DBs should be fired. They NEVER look for the ball.
11-29-2013 01:41 PM
adunifon Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Toledo Rockets
Coach tuke?!?! But the d is so improved!!!!!!!

Sarcasm.
11-29-2013 01:42 PM
Toledo Football 1st Offline
All Rockets All The Time

I Root For: T O L E D O

DonatorsDonatorsDonators
Not gonna vote on this, but no more so than the OC. Remember, the D is pretty young and we have some guys out. I've seen more ineptness on the offense than I have the defense this year.
(This post was last modified: 11-29-2013 01:43 PM by Toledo Football 1st.)
11-29-2013 01:43 PM
MidnightBlueGold Offline
Heisman

I Root For: TOL-EDO
11-29-2013 01:44 PM
eastisbest Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Toledo
JMHO: the "problem" just got a contract extension. It's not the players. It's not any one coach under the head coach.

He's young. The staff is young. If someone's expectations are not being met, I honestly think that person wasn't being realistic.

He's doing much better than Fickle did down in Columbus. He's probably your average 34 year old college coach that was at the right place at the right time who had the favor of the players at the time and found himself in the head position. He's PROBABLY not.... exceptionally smart or clever relative to others in head coaching positions nor should anyone expect that he be. He's no doubt a good man. People like him. Players like him. Player development (with MAYBE the exception of QB) seems above average. But he's not a "prodigy" in having his team and staff organized during a game or in calling a game. He's probably doing all-right for someone over his head at this time.

My opinion: a fan that doesn't want to be frustrated (including myself) is either going to lower expectations, leave the team or petition for a head coach with more in-game experience. Fan implosion just motivates the opposition.
11-29-2013 02:02 PM
Advertisement

DetroitRocket Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(11-29-2013 02:02 PM)eastisbest Wrote:  JMHO: the "problem" just got a contract extension. It's not the players. It's not any one coach under the head coach.

He's young. The staff is young. If someone's expectations are not being met, I honestly think that person wasn't being realistic.

He's doing much better than Fickle did down in Columbus. He's probably your average 34 year old college coach that was at the right place at the right time who had the favor of the players at the time and found himself in the head position. He's PROBABLY not.... exceptionally smart or clever relative to others in head coaching positions nor should anyone expect that he be. He's no doubt a good man. People like him. Players like him. Player development (with MAYBE the exception of QB) seems above average. But he's not a "prodigy" in having his team and staff organized during a game or in calling a game. He's probably doing all-right for someone over his head at this time.

My opinion: a fan that doesn't want to be frustrated (including myself) is either going to lower expectations, leave the team or petition for a head coach with more in-game experience. Fan implosion just motivates the opposition.

In other words, Campbell is in over his head?
11-29-2013 02:52 PM
eastisbest Offline
Hall of Famer

(11-29-2013 02:52 PM)DetroitRocket Wrote:  
(11-29-2013 02:02 PM)eastisbest Wrote:  JMHO: the "problem" just got a contract extension. It's not the players. It's not any one coach under the head coach.

In other words, Campbell is in over his head?

My feeling from the get go. He has surprised me in the area I mentioned, player development.

His long term career probably would benefit from stepping down to an assistant position with a major program but it's his career and as long as he's open to learning and doesn't get defensive, he may get to his potential as head coach on the present path.

If he were fired today, he would be hired tomorrow by some major program in some capacity.

I think he will be a fine in-game head coach, someday.
11-29-2013 04:02 PM
bcunn3128 Away
Heisman

I Root For: U of Toledo
It's a poll--nothing more, nothing less--so I will "vote". And my vote is yes--but I would also vote to fire the offensive coordinator. As for defense, I really had hoped that we were in fact, improved over recent seasons...thought we saw from good line play for the first half of the season, really decent LB play until Voss got injured and then our lack of depth became apparent, and the secondary coverage just flat-out sucked most games. But the collapse in the second half of games, especially the last few games, should be a cause for concern. Is that Tuke's fault entirely? Maybe not...but Campbell's not leaving, and his inexperience means he needs help. Find an FCS coordinator or coach who's teams have been amongst the very best on D at that level for a few seasons, and make him an offer he can't turn down--associate head coach, if its an FCS head coach. Stop the bleeding.
11-29-2013 04:10 PM
eastisbest Offline
Hall of Famer

I don't like the word "fire," but I agree, I think Campbell needs some more experience on staff preparing for teams and making in-game transitions. There's a difference between saying someone is doing a bad job and saying we need someone that can provide what we need.

I mean really, players are developing, they are socially responsible and not making the bad side of the news. Personal fouls are WAY down and for a while, so were procedural penalties.

The kids seem the type you would want graduating and representing the university.
11-29-2013 04:16 PM
bcunn3128 Away
Heisman

(11-29-2013 04:16 PM)eastisbest Wrote:  I don't like the word "fire," but I agree, I think Campbell needs some more experience on staff preparing for teams and making in-game transitions. There's a difference between saying someone is doing a bad job and saying we need someone that can provide what we need.

I mean really, players are developing, they are socially responsible and not making the bad side of the news. Personal fouls are WAY down and for a while, so were procedural penalties.

The kids seem the type you would want graduating and representing the university.

I don't disagree with you on that point, East...but I'm sure Northern Illinois and Ball State have quality kids who are pretty good citizens and decent students, too...but they win football games. So, I believe that it's not a "one or the other" premise. I want both.
11-29-2013 04:20 PM
Advertisement

Rocket79 Offline
Bench Warmer

I feel bad for the seniors lots of empty promises, Offense was worse than most high schools today. D played good at times, horrible at others. We still can't score TD's in the red zone. Fake punt any coach should have been ready for, Coach Watson and our kicker appeared laughing about it after it happened on the side line. Blocked XP. Our DB's pull the same poor coverage and get beat up. No idea where you start and stop the blame. We were a below average team today in mid level football.
11-29-2013 07:27 PM
BusDriver Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:
Inexperience is showing across both sides of the ball for the Rockets. I believe the talent is there to win a MAC Title, the leadership is what is lacking(at all levels on the team.) It starts at the top. Both coordinators need help. I would be willing to say that our Offense needs the most help. How many games did the O put it in cruise control in the 2nd half? Three games come to mind very quickly(BG/NIU/Buffalo). Two game comes to mind from start to finish(Ball State/Akron). Notice most of those games the opposing team had a winning record(Akron being the exception). Until the Rockets learn to finish a game and make effective adjustments, we will be a middle of the pack MAC team. As for the defense, we are a very young team. I am willing to give Tuke the benefit of the doubt on this season as the defense is better than a few years ago. The big detail that I will hold against our D coordinator is that he came from a school that is from one of the worst defensive conferences in FBS. Why we went fishing in the wrong pond for a D coordinator is beyond me, but that is what I do not like about our D coordinator. What I see on the field is what I see on the field from most teams in the conference, a terrible secondary. Akron was facing a 3 man rush most of the day, and still had WR's wide open down field. That is unacceptable. Sorry if the rant is too long, but in the end, we need help on both sides of the ball. We need experience. If the AD can't afford to add to the staff, then some need to go. If I hear about how we have a top recruiting class again this winter and it does not produce a title of some sort, then the leadership will have to change for sure.
11-29-2013 08:10 PM
bcunn3128 Away
Heisman

Amen, Bus Driver. Amen.
11-29-2013 08:16 PM
Rocket_Fanatic Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Toledo!
I wonder if Toledo Tom would return as a coordinator?
11-29-2013 08:19 PM
rocketpaul Offline
1st String

I Root For: Toledo Rockets
Keep Tuke!!!
11-29-2013 08:35 PM
Advertisement

bcunn3128 Away
Heisman

(11-29-2013 08:35 PM)rocketpaul Wrote:  Keep Tuke!!!

Ok--I'll bite. Why?
11-29-2013 08:37 PM
bigdatut98 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: TOLEDO
I'd fire everyone from the HC on down, but that's just me.

Hey at least we'll get to read about our great recruiting class in February. SMH. [/align]
11-30-2013 11:09 AM
UofToledoFans Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Toledo and G5
Tuke isn't the db's coach, he has LB's and ours are good and young. We forced tons of turnovers when voss was in there, now that he has been out and that stopped.
12-01-2013 03:18 PM
utpotts Offline
Heisman

(12-01-2013 03:18 PM)UofToledoFans Wrote:  Tuke isn't the db's coach, he has LB's and ours are good and young. We forced tons of turnovers when voss was in there, now that he has been out and that stopped.

The DB coach is the one that needs to be let go.
12-01-2013 04:42 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.