Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

KSU Stealing Start Wearing Purple?
Bookmark and Share
itGoesJMU Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: JMU
KSU Stealing Start Wearing Purple?
Just came across this garbage on youtube...

Looks like KSU has a movement going to try to get Start Wearing Purple as THEIR song. Some people are seriously mis-informed about JMU (read comments). For you MRD affiliated members, Chad mentioned the other day that other schools had asked him for our arrangement of SWP and we have proudly said no. He didn't mention if KSU was one of them but it definitely wouldn't surprise me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqQXN4Lrh8U
09-02-2013 12:03 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

JMUDUKE9 Offline
Bench Warmer

RE: KSU Stealing Start Wearing Purple?
For a school that had one of the worst 50+ year stretches in college football history, you'd think they'd be a bit more humble. Take away the Bill Snyder years and K State is a historically terrible program. On a side note, Snyder was replaced by Ron Prince as the head coach there. The same Ron Prince that was an O-line coach at JMU.
09-02-2013 12:52 AM
TheDudeWithTheJMUTat Offline
Special Teams

I just spread the word on Facbook, and sent it to a few of my Jayhawk friends who will hopefully put it on the KU message boards and further embarrass K-State. Thanks for bringing this to our attention.
09-02-2013 01:43 AM
hburg Offline

I Root For: James Madison
While it stinks that KSU is now trying to get this song played at their games, we should be proud that we now have something that is awesome, unique, and something that others want.
09-02-2013 07:10 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

hburg Offline

Oh and let me add, every student and fan needs to know how other schools want to copy and mimic what JMU has. They should be told that they should start wearing purple with pride and at the games should be singing it loudly with great enthusiasm.
09-02-2013 07:21 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
MadGrad95 Offline
Bench Warmer

I'm going to venture a guess and say no one in section 211 (except me) knows who Gogol Bordello is. While the band made a great attempt at Start Wearing Purple, no one sang along. I tried to hype it as much as I could, "This is going to be awesome! Wait 'til you hear this!!" Nothing. Only me singing, and everyone else asking "What the hell is this song?" I think I have some work to do and this will take a while to catch on.
09-02-2013 09:38 AM
hburg Offline

Re: KSU Stealing Start Wearing Purple?
Post the words on the video board. That is a must if you want the crowd involved.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
09-02-2013 09:42 AM
Advertisement

JMad03 Offline
Heisman

(09-02-2013 09:42 AM)hburg Wrote:  Post the words on the video board. That is a must if you want the crowd involved.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

They did.
09-02-2013 09:46 AM
PurpleStreamers Offline
1st String

I Root For: Dukes
(09-02-2013 09:38 AM)MadGrad95 Wrote:  I'm going to venture a guess and say no one in section 211 (except me) knows who Gogol Bordello is. While the band made a great attempt at Start Wearing Purple, no one sang along. I tried to hype it as much as I could, "This is going to be awesome! Wait 'til you hear this!!" Nothing. Only me singing, and everyone else asking "What the hell is this song?" I think I have some work to do and this will take a while to catch on.

Slow down there MG95, we're in 211 and have been pushing, advocating, and selling this right along with you for years now. (Also seen GB three times - 2 festivals and a 9:30 show). Also, the girl who sits behind us with her family and graduated about 3 years ago was selling this, but you're right, it's gonna take work and it was underwhelming this week. But we've got six more home games to do it!

For that matter, having seen all eight bands in Dayton, this will be a reallllly tough sell for the KSt. crowd too. Ohio St., ND, and IU had bands stuck in the 50's. Though Iowa St. was surprisingly solid!
09-02-2013 10:14 AM
MadGrad95 Offline
Bench Warmer

Looks like you got my point, but thanks for telling me to slow down just the same. "We" have some work to do.
09-02-2013 10:18 AM
Advertisement

hburg Offline

It took a few basketball games before the crowd started to get into it more. But it will get there.
09-02-2013 10:20 AM
Dukes86 Offline
2nd String

I love that they stopped commenting about our "small time band" after being put in their place by several JMU fans.
09-02-2013 10:59 AM
DoubleDDuke Offline
Heisman

As I see it, two things need to happen. First, don't get your ass kicked by an FCS school at home. Second, if we (meaning JMU) want to latch on to start wearing purple, wear purple.
09-02-2013 11:15 AM
Advertisement

itGoesJMU Offline
Bench Warmer

We'll latch on, it'll just take a few games. hburg it right that it is awesome that we have something that other universities want. Reading the comments that come up on that video has been entertaining.
09-02-2013 01:09 PM
KickItToScotty Offline
Heisman

It is cool, in a way, that we have something that other schools want. But I'd like it to get bigger with JMU and especially with JMU football before anyone steals it. I mean, if it gets big at KState now, I bet even a lot of JMU students will think we stole it from them.

Like hburg said, it took a while to get big at basketball games. It got the same reaction for a while that it got at the football game Saturday. It'll catch on. They need to do the jumbotron words differently in my opinion though. It should be bigger and in the way that words are normally done for lyrics to sing along in videos like that. It was just along the bottom the way any other writing is, no different from "Pete Johnson" when he's singing. Make it bigger and maybe add something like a bouncing Duke Dog head along on top of the words? I don't know.
09-02-2013 01:42 PM
itGoesJMU Offline
Bench Warmer

Just saw the guys over at JMU Sports Blog found out about this. They seem about as happy about it as the rest of us..
https://twitter.com/JMUsportsblog/status...2088588288
http://jmusportsblog.com/?p=5824
09-02-2013 08:16 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.