Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Why did UCF change from Golden Knights to Knights?
Underdog Offline
All American

I Root For: The American
RE: Why did UCF change from Golden Knights to Knights?
(08-16-2013 12:03 PM)Knights_of_UCF Wrote:  
(08-16-2013 11:45 AM)Underdog Wrote:  My comments are in bold:

(08-16-2013 11:16 AM)KnightLight Wrote:  In addition to what others have noted, the main push to "Golden" Knights back in 1993 was "political correctness", which was on the rampage back then, as FIGHTING KNIGHTS was seen as "too mean" and UCF's old AD, Steve Sloan, made the decision to add Golden Knights virtually on his own.

Knights are suppose to be "too mean."

Also, the longer name and the very "busy" logo (seen below) was almost impossible to produce in small images which made getting any merchandise made almost impossible.

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ2_Pbcrv95Ps0JZCQ4Qyz...wm2YskT9qv]

Ignore the Right here, right now lines...look at the top busy logo...and just imagine what it would look like if it was a 2 inch logo on a golf shirt?
[Image: mZpOF_obK4JHQBGdoA62MvQ.jpg]

The old logo/name was so "busy" (especially in a small image for golf shirts, hats, etc...), merchandisers would just take off the word Golden, and this logo was common, even though our official name after 93 was the Golden Knights:

A good graphic designer could have resolved this concern.

[Image: 175px-UCFKnightsOld.png]

Using gold in the logo eliminates having to include the word “Golden” or make the word smaller.

Now that UCF is a much larger institution and has moved up from the Div I-AA ranks like it was back in 1993, one of the best decisions UCF's former AD Keith Tribble ever made was to rebrand UCF, reclaim the KNIGHTS nickname, and come up with new, much more clearer/sharper logos which are easily recognizable anywhere:

[Image: ucf_logo.jpg]

The above logo is too plain in my opinion. The helmet should be incorporated into the letter “C” ….

UCF doesn't waqnt to emphasize the "central" so why would they use a "C"? It looks awful on central michigan's helmet. I like the UCF or the head logo. Not a fan of just putting a C on the helmet and calling it a day.

I must didn't explain myself clearly.... Incorporate the Knights helmet into the letter "C" since "UCF" is used on the helmet. In fact, the javelin could be incorporated into the letter "F".
08-16-2013 12:26 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Why did UCF change from Golden Knights to Knights? - Underdog - 08-16-2013 12:26 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.