Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

What I think that the PSU sanctions should have been
nzmorange Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UAB
RE: What I think that the PSU sanctions should have been
(07-15-2013 12:03 PM)allthatyoucantleavebehind Wrote:  It's hard for most PSU fans to discuss this with those outside. Main reason? We are living this out and know 95% more of the details of the case than everyone else. Most of what those outside PSU know about the case was shaped by the knee-jerk media reaction (child sex offense=bad=PSU evil).

But one assumption I've read in this thread that I feel is worth tackling: PSU gained a recruiting advantage through this alleged cover-up.

First off, Jerry Sandusky was investigated by the police in 1998 (when the massive NCAA penalties began). He was not charged. At fault? If you want to assess blame, it's the State College Police Department.

Many of you will now jump to the conclusion that the SCPD is protecting PSU football. Go ahead. But that's a crime of individuals outside of PSU football failing to do their jobs (protect people from criminals). If you think Joe Paterno loomed like a dark shadow over the SCPD, you have watched The Godfather and The Sopranos a few too many times.

I wish the SCPD had done more in 1998. That was the first major indicator (in a master manipulator's career of sexual offenses).

Let's say they had. What would have happened to PSU football? Really. First off, in the pre-Internet sports media culture, I can't imagine the firestorm we've seen over Aaron Hernandez and LeBron's "Decision." I think Sandusky would have been fired. Bradley would have been promoted a whopping one year earlier than he was promoted. Would it have been a bit of a blackeye to the program? Oh yes. But it wouldn't have debilitated the program for years in the future.

So, for those of you supporting the NCAA's decision to penalize PSU (five years death penalty! 01-wingedeagle) because PSU gained "so much" from the "cover up"...I assert that those associated with this scandal have suffered exponentially more from what has happened than any supposed cover-up.

(And if you want to talk about 2002, when the retired Sandusky--now completely removed from Paterno's program--again was caught abusing, there was again VERY LITTLE to be gained by a cover-up at that time as well.)

Thanks to those who have read this minor argument openly. You are a rare breed.

Despite referencing my post, I don't think that you actually read it. Regardless, to argue that everyone at PSU did the upmost to reasonably ensure that PSU had a safe environment in its athletic dept. is just not right. To argue that State's athletic dept. has been reasonably transparent and honest is also not right. There are literally people sitting in jail for perjury. That in and of itself speaks volumes. However, I think the bigger issue isn't the laws broken. The government should handle that, not the NCAA. The bigger issue is the environment (i.e. lack of a serious effort to deal with any issue relating to Sandusky beyond the bare legal minimum, despite the fact that there was an unimaginably high amount on the line), the safety net failings, and the general lack of accountability. I do think that PSU gained an advantage by sweeping Sandusky under the rugs, I'm sure the scandal would have been bad for recruiting and finances, but this shouldn't be about name calling or finger pointing. Similarly, it shouldn't be about punishing. It should be about fixing a broken system to makes both PSU a better place and to make the NCAA as a whole a better place. This is OT, but it also shouldn't end with PSU. I would be amazed if PSU is the only AD in the country with this problem.
07-15-2013 01:39 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: What I think that the PSU sanctions should have been - nzmorange - 07-15-2013 01:39 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.