Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

If the SEC did expand again and did so from the Big 12 who should we take and why?
Bookmark and Share
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: SEC
RE: If the SEC did expand again and did so from the Big 12 who should we take and why?
(06-28-2014 10:10 PM)He1nousOne Wrote:  
(06-28-2014 09:32 PM)JRsec Wrote:  
(06-28-2014 09:28 PM)He1nousOne Wrote:  
(06-28-2014 09:21 PM)JRsec Wrote:  
(06-28-2014 09:18 PM)He1nousOne Wrote:  University leaders have to think long term. Whenever anyone talks about how this thing will be held off until the GoR ends, it makes me laugh.

Any leader worth their salt isn't going to wait until that day when they know they will be **** out of luck. They are going to work a negotiation to get themselves a way out of that situation.

This issue ISNT waiting until the end of that GoR. What will happen at the end of that GoR is a perfect leverage point for the likes of Texas, Oklahoma and Kansas to get what they want now.

They negotiate a deal to get everyone a landing spot soon. Everyone walks away with an upside including every included conference because they will be negotiating with the Networks as Four major conferences, not five. Any financial analyst will tell you that would make their negotiating position stronger.

The Big 12 GoR will not live out its entire life.

Part of that negotiation may also be Bowlsby replacing a retiring Slive at the end of it all.

Are there rumors of Slive looking to retire? My thoughts were more about Bowlsby's golden parachute being him in charge of whatever new body is put in place to run the Major Conferences or maybe even in charge of the NCAA itself.
H1 a week ago he announced he would stay for another year. Every year now is a determination to be made by Slive and Slive wants to see the transition through before retiring. So by all indications once the final moves are made the SEC will likely have a slot for a new Commissioner. Rumors indicate that depending on how things go that may be the parachute for Bowlsby once the Big 12 is history. We'll see.

And when I said part of negotiations I meant it. ESPN will want someone in that position that is as friendly to them as Slive has been, and if Bowlsby can facilitate the brokering of the final moves that may well qualify. There are still many things to be hammered out. Will the PACN sell part interest to FOX or ESPN? What moves are brokered to get the Big 10 and SEC in line with each other? How does the ACC get finished out to 16? There are many variables here to play with still. I could see Texas going West if it meant that ESPN got a percentage of the PACN. I could still see Texas moving to the ACC as an independent. I could still see Texas and 3 western partners moving to the ACC and N.C. State and Virginia Tech moving to the SEC. I can see Kansas and Oklahoma to the Big 10. I could see West Virginia as the school going to the ACC with everyone else in the ACC staying put. It just depends on what it takes to get it done and that is where Bowlsby could prove valuable to everyone.

Yes, there are options. I have a favored option but that doesn't mean it is the only option. In regard to Bowlsby to the SEC. I hadn't thought of that previously but I see no flaw in your logic. It is definitely a possibility.

As a side caveat, keeping it up in the air maintains the pressure on the current NCAA President. Bowlsby as a replacement is a strong threat. He has ties in the Big Ten, the PAC and in the Big 12.

I have heard that suggestion floated as well and it too is plausible. It just depends on whether what the P5 wants is fully granted by the others or a breakaway becomes the only way to attain it. Options exist there as well. I am sure that most of the major players have fully agreed upon the options, and are just waiting to see which ones are viable based on outcomes of litigation and NCAA votes.

It's like they know they are holding a winning hand, but need to see what is played to get the order of their progression precisely laid.
(This post was last modified: 06-28-2014 10:25 PM by JRsec.)
06-28-2014 10:18 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
SEC Expansion - vandiver49 - 10-11-2013, 08:43 AM
RE: If the SEC did expand - 10thMountain - 05-02-2014, 02:49 PM
RE: B12 - jhawkmvp - 05-02-2014, 11:00 PM
RE: If the SEC did expand again and did so from the Big 12 who should we take and why? - JRsec - 06-28-2014 10:18 PM
RE: - Transic_nyc - 11-04-2014, 02:34 AM
schools making profits - jhawkmvp - 11-12-2014, 12:32 AM
RE: expansion - oliveandblue - 12-03-2014, 12:41 AM
My wild guess - jhawkmvp - 12-09-2014, 12:39 AM
RE: - Transic_nyc - 12-25-2014, 11:04 PM
RE: If the SEC did expand... - Transic_nyc - 09-19-2015, 01:41 AM
RE - Transic_nyc - 10-21-2017, 03:15 AM
RE: - Transic_nyc - 10-21-2017, 06:35 PM
RE: ? - Transic_nyc - 10-22-2017, 01:02 AM
RE: If the SEC did expand... - Transic_nyc - 03-05-2018, 11:46 AM
RE: If ... - Transic_nyc - 12-18-2020, 01:45 AM
RE: - Transic_nyc - 01-26-2021, 10:59 AM
RE: If - Transic_nyc - 01-27-2021, 12:58 AM
RE: If - Transic_nyc - 03-07-2021, 02:25 PM
RE: If ... - Transic_nyc - 03-09-2021, 06:34 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 6 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.