Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Hopkins Report on Joining Conference: Green Light (link)
AtlanticLeague Offline
All American

I Root For: UMD / W&M
Hopkins Report on Joining Conference: Green Light (link)
http://web.jhu.edu/administration/presid..._05_10.pdf

Quote:In light of the preceding discussion and considerations, it is the unanimous recommendation of this Committee that the University pursue a conference membership for the Johns Hopkins men’s lacrosse program.

Four criteria it believes would be important in any agreement to join a conference:

1) An initial membership term of five years

2) An opportunity to evaluate Johns Hopkins’ position in the conference after three years, at which point the option would exist to either extend the initial agreement or to part ways at the conclusion of the initial agreement

3) A guarantee that a decision by an existing full member of the conference to sponsor the sport of men’s lacrosse or the addition to the conference of a full member that sponsors men’s lacrosse will not jeopardize Johns Hopkins’ affiliation with the league

4) The ability for Johns Hopkins to maintain its existing television broadcasting relationship with ESPNU
(This post was last modified: 05-17-2013 02:38 PM by AtlanticLeague.)
05-17-2013 08:45 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

AtlanticLeague Offline
All American

RE: Hopkins Report on Joining Conference: Green Light (link)
Quote:Nevertheless, the Athletics Department has confirmed to the Committee it has every desire to maintain traditional rivalries with institutions such as Maryland, Syracuse, Virginia, Navy, North Carolina and Loyola. These are not only meaningful rivalries, they are excellent lacrosse programs. Continuing to play against them is not only important to JHU lacrosse fans, it would help Johns Hopkins maximize its own strength of schedule.

ACC wins that argument, hands down.
05-17-2013 08:55 AM
gosports1 Offline
All American

I Root For: providence
So, who gets them? Let the speculation begin
05-17-2013 08:55 AM
SeaBlue Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Michigan
Other key points:

• Alignment with the considered conferences would be unlikely to result in any revenue sharing with JHU in the near term.

• Alignment with the considered conferences would not require dues or any direct financial commitment from JHU.

There are no indications that joining a conference would alter JHU’s television contract with ESPNU, which was recently renewed. ESPNU is fully aware of the JHU’s deliberations concerning conference alignment.

Interesting... I would think that both ESPNU and a conference would want exclusive rights to a JHU home game.

So, given that, it must be that ACC/ESPN gets JHU.

On the other hand:

• Depending on the conference and schedule of play, there could be additional travel for the team, including one or two games annually that require air travel.

• Additional air travel would likely require increasing the men’s lacrosse budget by $20,000 to
$30,000 annually.

Would the ACC require more travel? B1G would require more than "one or two", correct?
(This post was last modified: 05-17-2013 09:08 AM by SeaBlue.)
05-17-2013 08:59 AM

CK42NC Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: UNC
Let's just be fair to say that only two conferences can support this brand. BIG and ACC!
05-17-2013 09:09 AM
AtlanticLeague Offline
All American

(05-17-2013 09:09 AM)CK42NC Wrote:  Let's just be fair to say that only two conferences can support this brand. BIG and ACC!

Agreed.

If it's a conference championship they want, the B1G is the easier road (but getting tougher). It would also help Hop get exposure to new markets.

Quote:Moreover, conference alignment would further expand the reach of Johns Hopkins lacrosse to new regions, many of which are home to Johns Hopkins alumni and friends who are anxious to support their team.
(This post was last modified: 05-17-2013 09:23 AM by AtlanticLeague.)
05-17-2013 09:15 AM
DFW HOYA Offline
All American

I Root For: The Hoyas
Let's just be fair to say that only three conferences can support this brand, Big East, BiG and ACC.

(Maybe four, if the Patriot is an option.)
05-17-2013 09:15 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

AtlanticLeague Offline
All American

(05-17-2013 09:15 AM)DFW HOYA Wrote:  Let's just be fair to say that only three conferences can support this brand, Big East, BiG and ACC.

(Maybe four, if the Patriot is an option.)

If they had their pick, it would be Ivy and done with it.

The Patriot doesn't have as many big lax names as the ACC. Any team considering joining the big east has a tough sell to make. It's just too soon to tell what's going to happen with it.
(This post was last modified: 05-17-2013 09:16 AM by AtlanticLeague.)
05-17-2013 09:16 AM
gosports1 Offline
All American

I Root For: providence
They would all require ar travel
05-17-2013 10:09 AM
dingdong Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Hopkins
Wow, surprising I thought the writing on the wall was all pointing to the Big Ten before this, but keeping the ESPNU deal most likely means ACC. Which is great, because if we want to continue to be an elite team we should go to the best conference instead of hiding where we can get an easier AQ.

What is the Patriot's tv deal like?

Although on second thought the Big Ten may be willing to let us in and keep ESPNU just to give Maryland somewhere to play.
(This post was last modified: 05-17-2013 12:01 PM by dingdong.)
05-17-2013 11:50 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2014 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.