Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Can AAC FB match what Big East FB did?
UConn-SMU Offline
often wrong, never in doubt

I Root For: the AAC
Can AAC FB match what Big East FB did?
Since 2005, Big East FB was consistently ranked higher than the Big 10 and the ACC by the computers. A simple question: if all goes well for us, can the AAC duplicate that feat?

My answer ... I think it's possible, but the odds of it happening are slim.

To be a "success", I think we just need to be consistently closer to the #5 conference (probably the ACC) than the #7 conference (probably the MWC). That is a very realistic goal.
05-04-2013 11:03 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

oldtiger Away
Forgiven Through Jesus' Grace

I Root For: Memphis

DonatorsBlazerTalk AwardMemphis Hall of Fame
RE: Can AAC FB match what Big East FB did?
I just don't see any way being ranked ahead of the B10/ACC is going to happen in the next few years.

Keeping ahead of the other non-guaranteed conferences should be an attainable goal immediately.
05-04-2013 11:42 PM
CheeseSndwch Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Univ. Houston
I think it depends on what the ESPN Hype Machine decides to do.
05-04-2013 11:51 PM
BigHouston Offline
STRONG

I Root For: HOUSTON, USC Trojans
IF our tv exposure is as good as what Mike Aresco said it will be, I expect our recruting to be better is what we currently get... IMHO, I say, YES.
05-05-2013 01:18 AM
CarolinaBlue2001 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: UNC / Columbia
It's definitely possible, but I agree that it depends heavily on ESPN and having zero defections. Even though there appears to be some stability in realignment right now, I would think that if Cinci, UConn, Houston, or Temple leave that it would have deep ramifications that would effect if ESPN would be willing to promote the conference as much.
05-05-2013 01:56 AM
8BitPirate Offline
A Man of Wealth and Taste

I Root For: ECU
Can't have any crushing blow outs to the P5 and NO LOSSES TO FCS teams!
05-05-2013 07:15 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

UConn-SMU Offline

Just for example, these Sagarins for average conference rankings would be acceptable for us:

5) ACC ... #41
6) AAC ... #52
7) MWC ... #68

We must at least accomplish something like those numbers (closer to the ACC than the MWC). If we do better than that, I'll be mildly surprised and extremely happy.
(This post was last modified: 05-05-2013 08:12 AM by UConn-SMU.)
05-05-2013 08:04 AM
Kit-Cat Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Championships
CrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappies
The group of schools that comprise the AAC have more tradition and recent performance than any other group among the G5.

I think the AAC will surprise a lot of people as to how strong it will be on the football field.
05-05-2013 09:21 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Cubanbull Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
It's a new world for the league. No longer will we have AQ status, so we will be judged by how often our champion gets that BCS bowl slot and wins the game. That will be the way this league ill be judged and seeing from outside.
05-05-2013 09:38 AM
Metacog Drivel Offline
2nd String

I Root For: UCF
Depends on the public perception. Definitely not gonna be easy, but if a couple schools step up then It's possible.
05-05-2013 09:57 AM
UConn-SMU Offline

(05-05-2013 09:38 AM)Cubanbull Wrote:  It's a new world for the league. No longer will we have AQ status, so we will be judged by how often our champion gets that BCS bowl slot and wins the game. That will be the way this league ill be judged and seeing from outside.

Unfortunately true. The average Big East team was always better than the average ACC or Big 10 team, but we were second class citizens because we rarely had a Top 10 team. We didn't have an Ohio State or Florida State.
05-05-2013 11:06 AM
Advertisement

Gray Avenger Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: MEMPHIS
(05-05-2013 09:57 AM)Metacog Drivel Wrote:  Depends on the public perception. Definitely not gonna be easy, but if a couple schools step up then It's possible.

On the plus side, the AAC does have more tradition (as someone already mentioned), and better exposure than the rest of the G5 conferences and more football schools than the old Big East. The disadvantages are that, unlike the Big East, we are not perceived as "in the club", and are further behind the top 5 conferences in revenue and our PARITY. I fear that while the top schools of the other G5 conferences (Boise State, Northern Illinois, Southern Miss, etc) waltz thru their relatively weak schedules every year finishing with impressive records, the AAC will have 5 or 6 strong teams knocking each other off, keeping us away from the top bowl contention. Call me a homer, but their is no doubt in my mind that the AAC will consistently have better teams than the other G5 conferences.
(This post was last modified: 05-05-2013 11:34 AM by Kruciff.)
05-05-2013 11:30 AM
Kruciff Offline
Old Man from scene 24

I Root For: The Bridge of Death
I think a good comparison could be made, in terms of relating the 2004 Big East to the 2005 Big East. I'm sure there were people wondering if Louisville, Cinci, and USF could compete.

Sure, they more than competed. But have they matched the levels of National Champion Miami, and even of perennially ranked VPU? The answer is no.

Here's hoping we meet the more than maneagable levels of achievement that the Big East, circa 2005-2012 saw.
05-05-2013 11:33 AM
Kruciff Offline
Old Man from scene 24

I Root For: The Bridge of Death
(05-05-2013 11:30 AM)Gray Avenger Wrote:  
(05-05-2013 09:57 AM)Metacog Drivel Wrote:  Depends on the public perception. Definitely not gonna be easy, but if a couple schools step up then It's possible.

On the plus side, the AAC does have more tradition (as someone already mentioned), and better exposure than the rest of the G5 conferences and more football schools than the old Big East. The disadvantages are that, unlike the Big East, we are not perceived as "in the club", and are further behind the top 5 conferences in revenue and our PARITY. I fear that while the top schools of the other G5 conferences (Boise State, Northern Illinois, Southern Miss, etc) waltz thru their relatively weak schedules every year finishing with impressive records, the AAC will have 5 or 6 strong teams knocking each other off, keeping us away from the top bowl contention. Call me a homer, but their is no doubt in my mind that the AAC will consistently have better teams than the other G5 conferences.

I think a point will be made if our "perceived" bottom teams regularly win in OOC, ESPECIALLY against any other Go5 team. We need Memphis to beat USM on the regular. We need Tulane to beat LA Tech on the regular. We need Temple to beat Penn State, Boston College, and Rutgers. Same goes for our top tier teams. Cinci needs to beat the OSU's, Wisconsins, etc.. USF needs to beat Miami (same for UCF, if they'd schedule us)

Our conference games shouldn't matter (someone will rise to the top) if we take care of business OOC.
05-05-2013 11:36 AM
Gray Avenger Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: MEMPHIS
(05-05-2013 11:36 AM)Kruciff Wrote:  Our conference games shouldn't matter (someone will rise to the top) if we take care of business OOC.

I sincerely hope that you are right about that, but fear that a Boise State team that is 8 conference wins and 3-1 OOC will be put ahead of an AAC team that is 6-2 in conference and 3-1 OOC. ACC schools will face a similar same sort of parity as the SEC, but without the recognition and credit. Let us hope that the "committee" will pay sufficient attention to computer rankings.
(This post was last modified: 05-05-2013 12:02 PM by Gray Avenger.)
05-05-2013 12:00 PM
BullsBEAST Offline
1st String

I Root For: USF Bulls
No chance, have you seen this roster of teams lately?
05-05-2013 12:10 PM
Advertisement

UConn-SMU Offline

(05-05-2013 12:00 PM)Gray Avenger Wrote:  
(05-05-2013 11:36 AM)Kruciff Wrote:  Our conference games shouldn't matter (someone will rise to the top) if we take care of business OOC.

I sincerely hope that you are right about that, but fear that a Boise State team that is 8 conference wins and 3-1 OOC will be put ahead of an AAC team that is 6-2 in conference and 3-1 OOC. ACC schools will face a similar same sort of parity as the SEC, but without the recognition and credit. Let us hope that the "committee" will pay sufficient attention to computer rankings.

The media will always love Boise. There's something appealing about beating MWC teams ranked between #90 and #120 by 40 points.
05-05-2013 12:39 PM
DrBox Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Tulane
(05-05-2013 11:36 AM)Kruciff Wrote:  I think a point will be made if our "perceived" bottom teams regularly win in OOC, ESPECIALLY against any other Go5 team. We need Memphis to beat USM on the regular. We need Tulane to beat LA Tech on the regular. We need Temple to beat Penn State, Boston College, and Rutgers. Same goes for our top tier teams. Cinci needs to beat the OSU's, Wisconsins, etc.. USF needs to beat Miami (same for UCF, if they'd schedule us)

Our conference games shouldn't matter (someone will rise to the top) if we take care of business OOC.
Still, there is a chance that a) the best team over-schedules OOC and gets plunked with a few losses; and b) that we have the 3 best teams and they beat each other, knocking each other down. Not much you can do about that, except to hope that one of the 3 is just superior (like TCU in 2010).
To answer the question, the big BE success stories were Cincy for a few years, Lou for a few years, S Fla for a short period, U Conn for a short period, and West Virginia, which had a long history of quality football. The only one that can't be replicated is W Virginia. Otherwise, I say yes if the teams continue to plunge money into their programs.
In return, you get the 3 most consistent programs in C-USA (except for USM) in Tulsa, ECU and UCF. You get SMU who has been consistent since they started trying again. Houston, although inconsistent at times, has thrown terrific teams out there for 40 years+ (including C-USA's best since 2005 realignment). Tulane can win when they try, as per one of C-USA's only 2 top 10 teams....just make sure they keep up their commitment to try. I have never understood why Memphis struggled, but that was an improving team last year, so i think they'll get better too.
(This post was last modified: 05-05-2013 01:10 PM by DrBox.)
05-05-2013 01:08 PM
Crusty-the-Pirate Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: ECU
(05-05-2013 09:38 AM)Cubanbull Wrote:  It's a new world for the league. No longer will we have AQ status, so we will be judged by how often our champion gets that BCS bowl slot and wins the game. That will be the way this league ill be judged and seeing from outside.

I originally posted this in the wrong thread---meant it to go here.

Talking with an ACC buddy of mine last week about “our” new AAC and his thoughts on the emerging P5 and Go5. Although an NC State grad (ACC conf) he’s never been a snob about topics such as this, however usually constructively blunt with his opinions.

Said the issue for the AAC was not to concentrate so much on the P5 envy, but to separate themselves from the other Go5 conferences. Not a revelation by any means as many here have posted as much, but he went on to say the AAC needs to get that Go5 bowl slot or better---a playoff slot, 4 of the first 5 years (2014-2018) in this new arrangement. If we can pull this off the AAC perception will take on more of a P5 look than a Go5 existance and we could likely get some acceptance (ie. change leverage) in the out years of this new 10yr deal.

If however the Go5 sends a different conference member every year or every other year the AAC will just fulfill the Go5 prophecy set forth by the P5. Can’t let that happen!

As a conference we have to do what Boise St has and TCU have done in terms of the world view of our product. The end game will be to get the AAC what TCU, Utah, and Rutgers now have….”full membership”
05-05-2013 02:22 PM
Native Georgian Offline
Legend

I Root For: TULANE+GA.STATE
(05-05-2013 01:08 PM)DrBox Wrote:   I have never understood why Memphis struggled, but that was an improving team last year, so i think they'll get better too.
Just my opinion: Memphis athletics gives basketball it's top priority. Elite-level players and coaches want to be in an environment in which "their" sport is clearly and indisputably #1.
05-05-2013 02:24 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.